Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreaded Greevil

The drop of shadow essence were indeed rarer than unusual essence.

But keep in mind that the demand on unusual essence is far higher than on shadow essence.

Shadow essence you use once to get a black egg.
    You can put 3 unusual essence into an egg. (almost as much worth as shadow) and you can put it in different eggs.

Basic Member
    The problem with the Dreaded Greevil is that the model and effect are not in line with the player base's expectations. The other Greevils are crafted with a material that, by the end of Diretide, you couldn't give away ("common" essences). The Dreaded Greevil, on the other hand, required a component that cost 8 keys to trade for. Unusual essence were worth 2 keys; so pre-patch the Shadow Essence was clearly the most valuable Greevil component.

When we hatched our Dreaded Greevils, we found that they were in fact one of the worst looking Greevils, both in the model and in the particle effect. The other Greevils have a nose horn and big ears; the Dreaded Greevil has no horn and dinky ears. The other Greevils have pronounced teeth. Ours have black teeth that are so small they can't even be seen. The other Greevils, notable the Greedy Greevil, have awesome particle effects. Ours has a black cloud that obfuscates the already dark-toned model.

As a result, the Dreaded Greevil doesn't feel "mythical" at all, which is what we all expected because of the rarity shadow essence. I, and everyone I've spoken to who has one, feel extremely underwhelmed by the Dreaded Greevil.

One of my friends came up with a bit of a conspiracy theory. He thinks Valve made the Dreaded Greevil the worst so that people who were willing to spend money to buy keys to trade for it would buy more keys to trade so they can make the better looking Greevils. Such a thought makes me cringe because I know Valve isn't out to screw people just to make a quick buck, but I can't help but agree that his theory is plausible.

It would make me happy if Valve would take a second look at the Dreaded Greevil and consider upgrading the model and particle effect. Posters here have great ideas... spiders, flies, webs, etc. Something like the Diretide effect would be well-welcomed.

I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that Valve updates this Greevil. It's not fun spending real money and time to craft a very rare item only to be utterly disappointed.

TLDR: The Dreaded Greevil is underwhelming and should be upgraded to match the rarity of the Shadow Essence required to create it.

Basic Member
    The Dreaded Greevil looks SOOOOOOOO disappointing :/ fix pls

Banned
    would be great if valve will fix dreaded greevil, add some more effects cuz its really disappointing...

You know, after looking at it again, I think the main problem is that the Dreaded Greevil is just missing something.

My suggestion is why not white colored electrical currents streaming through the Greevil? It seems like a good addition with the Shadow effect. The shadow effect now seems good enough for a level 2, but not a level 3.

Basic Member
    It's kinda disappointing, especially after BrandonReinhart saying that the unusual shadow eggs were going to be rewarded with something.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post380560

Banned
    I think you should make this thread as a [Sugestion] thread so we can vote and valve or icefrog or anybody else can chance dreaded greevil if it is possible

I agree with this, I think the dreaded greevil should be improved in looks.. to look more grand, maybe new animations, etc. The mythic essence was sooooooooooooo difficult to find. Other greevils required common essences, comeon, the people with the shadow essence should be rewarded more.

Basic Member
    Agreed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danski View Post
    change their rarity to Immortal or Ancient + add effect similar to Affiction of Vermin
    I feel the effect is ok (maybe a bit lacklustre compared to other greevils with 3 unusuals) but I completely agree that the rarity should be changed to [edit] Legendary (not Immortal or Ancient) [/edit]. It was incredibly hard to find or acquire a shadow essence, and having a Dreaded Greevil be the same worth as a greevil with 3 oir even 0 essences (no challenge at all) almost feels insulting.

Yes I know it's just a game etc. etc. but if you look at how rare the Shadow Essence was, that should be reflected with the Dreaded Greevil when compared to others.

I edited post to change the suggested rarity classification from Immortal/Ancient to Legendary, as I believe this accurately reflects the rarity of the Greevil.
    Last edited by Supe; 11-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.