Thread: [Discussion] Geomancer's (Meepo) unreleased set defies the lore

[Discussion] Geomancer's (Meepo) unreleased set defies the lore

How it looks:

Important to note that:
    The set includes a HAT and a GUITAR!

Playdota Lore can be found here
    Dota2Wiki Lore can be found here

Lore (dota2wiki):
    "If you ask me, life is all about who you know and what you can find. When you live up in the Riftshadow Ruins, just finding food can be tough. So you need to cut corners, you need to scrounge, you need to know your strengths. Some of the beasts up there can kill you, so you need a way to trap the weak and duck the strong. On the upside, the ruins have history, and history is worth a lot to some people. There used to be a palace there, where they had all these dark rituals. Bad stuff. If you survived the ceremony, they would shatter a crystal and split your soul into pieces. They made great art though! Sculptures and such. Let me tell you: sometimes you stumble onto some of those old carvings. Take a pack full of those to town and sell them, then get yourself food for a few weeks. If luck is really on your side, you might find a Riftshadow crystal. Get it appraised and start asking around. Someone always knows some crazy fool looking for this kind of thing. If all else fails, sell it to a Magus the next time one's in town. They love that stuff. Still, whatever you do, be careful handling those crystals. You do not want one to go off on you. It really hurts."

How The Set Items Contradicts It (my opinions):
    - The Hat and the Guitar doesn't fit a Meepo defending the ancients. It in no way enhance the identity of a Geomancer.
    - His already existing spade beats the set's weapon (a pan attached to a tree branch) in test of durability and originality of the hero.
    - The Entire Outfit provides the feel of a ceremonial costume rather than a battlefield equip.

Ursa Alpine set has already become the most expensive of the sets due to a blunder, I do not want it to happen again.
    Please share your opinion as a Dota Player!

Thanks

EDIT NOTES:

- Added link to the lore from dota2wiki
    - Added Lore from the Bio; My opinions on Lore and Set.
    Last edited by raind33r; 12-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Basic Member
    Art feedback forums.

It's a game, if you don't like it don't play.

Basic Member
    "There used to be a palace there, where they had all these dark rituals. Bad stuff."

maybe they used guitars and hats in ceremony?

exactly! its looks more like a ceremonial costume rather than a battlefield equip

It looks stupid but even ursas set will make a come back. Dont rise your hopes, elitiests

I don't mind if they make a alternate game event (like they did on diretide); where the heroes can wear their fanciest costumes and show off. This costume is not for battlefield!
    Last edited by raind33r; 12-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Have you even bothered reading the blogpost where they announced that the set was one of the 10 Polycount winners, and explained why they picked that set? Including the bit that justifies it in the lore? Here's the lore that joined the set, and their justification:

Quote Originally Posted by Set lore
    Trinkets and tall tales are just a few of the ways a drifter can make a living out in Riftshadow, but there’s a lot more in the waste if you know how to look, and where. You’ll want a guide and someone who knows their way in a fight; that should let you scratch the surface and take in some history. Getting rich from the ruins though, that’s another matter. If you want to learn Riftshadow’s darkest secrets, you better tip well and know how to keep your mouth shut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justification
    There’s very little criticism we can level against this set. Squid has captured Meepo’s personality and exaggerated it without going over the top. Here is a well farmed Meepo, spending his gold on the fanciest gear Riftshadow has to offer. The execution is top tier, with excellent work on the modeling, texturing, color choices, and use of detail. This is a very detailed set that reads clean in game at normal game distance. For us, the set was a contender for the grand prize winner. Great job, Squid.
    By the way, linking to the lore of Dota 1 is useless. It's irrelevant, and plays no part in Dota 2.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

thanks for sharing the your insight and those key information about the lore. Squid has certainly done a great job making the set. I however would also like to mention a point valve has made on the blog:

> Some sets are extremely well executed and quite beautiful, but at the same time don’t push on the character design enough. This is always in a delicate balance. Items should be recognizable as unique and enhance the hero’s identity without being so radical as to shift the lore into too alien a territory.

The Hat and the Guitar doesn't fit a Meepo defending the ancients. It (in my opinion) in no way enhance the identity of a Geomancer.

Another issue about the set:

> Here is a well farmed Meepo, spending his gold on the fanciest gear Riftshadow has to offer.

His already existing spade beats the set's weapon (a pan attached to a tree branch) in test of durability and originality of the hero.

Edit: PS, please excuse the poor formatting i'm not familiar with the tools here.
    Last edited by raind33r; 12-14-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added a ps

Basic Member
    I am SO sure there will be complaints about the Disruptor set as well.

I just know it. If people can complain, they WILL complain no matter how great things can be.
    Sometimes I really think democracy is the wrong way to go.
    Last edited by Radio; 12-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.