Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disconnected from server, unable to establish connection to server

Basic Member

Question Disconnected from server, unable to establish connection to server

I installed Dota 2 on the 24th of December and have been unable to play/spectate a single game.

I open the client through steam and in the main menu I appear to be connected as I am able to view all the available tabs; news/updates/store/backpack/community/ect. However, whenever I try to join a game or spectate one after the loading screen I get put back into the matchmaking/spectating menu with the error "Disconnected from server, unable to establish connection to server."

Is this a problem with me or my connection?
    or is the problem on the other end and I have nothing to do but wait?

I can play games such as MW3, BF3, AC3, Smite, LoL and DayZ so i don't think the problem is on my side.

Things I have tried;
    • Re-installing Dota 2
    • Re-installing Steam
    • Turning off firewall
    • Turning off antivirus software
    • Closing all programs
    • Verifying the integretiy of Dota 2
    • Updating Steam
    • Updating Graphics Card
    • Running Steam as administrator

I have been searching forums and they all suggest doing all that I have listed above, other then that they said wait or visit dev.dota2.com, so here I am.
    Last edited by atify73; 01-07-2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Basic Member
    +1
    another games works good

Basic Member
    Having same problem please someone help i find game and then dc

Basic Member
    I am having the exact some problem and it's driving me batsh*t crazy. Can someone please investigate this and give us a fix?

1.Try using another Steam account, and then spectate a game?
    2.Try using a different Internet connection, using the same Steam account and same Dota 2 files.
    3.Install Dota 2 on another computer, don't move your current files to the other computer, a fresh install would be better.

Actually, I think the first thing you should try is using Hotspot Shield, make sure you don't use something like Psiphone, it doesn't do anything to Steam or Dota 2.
    Last edited by Noo; 12-31-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noo View Post
    1.Try using another Steam account, and then spectate a game?
    2.Try using a different Internet connection, using the same Steam account and same Dota 2 files.
    3.Install Dota 2 on another computer, don't move your current files to the other computer, a fresh install would be better.

Actually, I think the first thing you should try is using Hotspot Shield, make sure you don't use something like Psiphone, it doesn't do anything to Steam or Dota 2.
    I don't have access to another PC and my only other option was dragging my PC downstairs and connecting it directly to the modem. However, as much as I doubted installing the Hotspot Shield program you recommended I gave it a try and it worked =D, thankyou so much =).

Basic Member
    On the other hand, I now have to put up with what seems like random disconnections where I have to completely close steam and re-open it to even get back into the game... Bareing in mind it synchronizes everytime I close the game I usually get back into the game with a huge disadvantage in gold and levels.

Only played 2 games so far, first was 2 disconnects but the second has over 5, which is what makes me think its random. It's my steam randomly losing connection while im playing dota 2 and could be the hotspot program inteferreing with steam connection.
    Last edited by atify73; 01-01-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Basic Member
    I too decided to give the HotSpot shield a try, and I was excited to find it worked.... for about 20 seconds. I was finally able to get into a match, but soon after it froze up and said "connection problem, disconnecting from server in (countdown)". So, though it was a sweet taste of victory, it quickly became sour. I hope they fix these problems, as I'd sincerely like to give the game a try.

So, that being said, the original problem still stands. Any other solutions would be welcome, and thanks for trying.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshir View Post
    I too decided to give the HotSpot shield a try, and I was excited to find it worked.... for about 20 seconds. I was finally able to get into a match, but soon after it froze up and said "connection problem, disconnecting from server in (countdown)". So, though it was a sweet taste of victory, it quickly became sour. I hope they fix these problems, as I'd sincerely like to give the game a try.

So, that being said, the original problem still stands. Any other solutions would be welcome, and thanks for trying.
    Yea, I was amazed when I actually entered a game and played however, it seems to disconnect me every couple of minutes randomly and to reconnect to the game you have to tab out, disconnect and reconnect hotspot then enter game again which is terrible.

During games you fall behind quite alot with the constant disconnections not to mention it changes the currency of my steam into dollars...

Hmm, try to launch hotspot, then launch Steam, Dota 2, when the game is opened, disconnect from hotspot, wait about a minute, then try to join a game.