Page 59 of 186 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: One-Sided Matchmaking Game Log

Basic Member
    Good news, things are improving in the next patch.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=98105

Bad news, next patch may take a week to be pushed to the live servers.

Edit: Only took a day, wow. Was the patch tested on the test server prior to the notes being posted? Some damn fast turnaround if it wasn't.
    Last edited by DAOWAce; 07-18-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Matchmaker was tweaked, but sure as hell wasn't anywhere close to fixed:

i dont even know why people dont buy detections when against invis enemy..

is it just stupidness or wut.. oh , they are so dendi that they dont need detections to kill them..

haha shitty people for shitty mm .. seems legit

Basic Member
    I don't usually complain about matchmaking being bad but this game just requires a post as it seemed like the whole dire team were on a whole different level than radiant team.

Match ID: 246510650

A fast 25 min megacreeps finish. Their naga who was mid died few times by walking up to the creeps to last hit with around 250 hp while being against a death prophet. Rest of the dire players seemed pretty awful also. Everyone in my team seemed to play atleast decent, even the guys who had played only few games, if you ignore the few questionable itemchoices and lack of wards.

Even though wins don't matter that much I checked the players of this match and dire had no one with more than 300 wins, lowest being at 13 and this guy wasn't a smurf judging by how he played. The radiant side on the other hand had 3 guys with over 700 wins each, being compensated by 2 guys that had under 100 wins, who still played better than anyone on the dire side. And this was a really fast matchmaking, not minutes of waiting.

Basic Member
    Match-ID: 246567215

So you fixed the matchmaking? Words can not describe this game. Drow is the worst player I've ever seen. And a couple of others are close. This isn't even funny anymore.

Basic Member
    Yeah I was in Spike's game (Match-ID: 246567215) posting the same problem.

Also, this:Fixed matchmaking.png
    I mean, seriously?
    That is RIDICULOUSLY imbalanced.
    It's not even fun.
    Matchmaking ID can be seen in the image.
    As for why do I think it was imbalanced? WELL TAKE A LOOK.

The only reason it wasn't a total stomp was, despite only going 3/7, I somehow managed to coordinate them. Though not very well.
    But it's clearly worthy of going in this thread.
    Last edited by Luna C; 07-18-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Valve Developer
    >Match ID: 246510650

All 10 players in this game were in the 93rd-94th percentile MMR range. The difference in Elo's between the highest and lowest player was 50 Elo points. The "noob" with only 13 wins actually had the highest Elo of any player in the match. (This was a smurf.) They did play poorly in this match, but in the previous match (246456658), in which they played against several 4000 Elo players, they had 13 kills and 1 death.

>Match ID: 246567215

The 14-win player did have the highest MMR in the game. However, it probably wasn't really high enough to push him into smurf territory. So this was not a great match. There was a player who had waited 5 minutes, which is why a match of this relatively low quality was accepted. Thanks for reporting this. It's very helpful.

We're trying to find a way to provide more information about matchmaking, both how it works in general, and also why particular matches were formed. We're looking for a way to do this that does not lead to abusive behaviour now, where any lopsided game is immediately blamed on the person with the lowest win count, as opposed to, for example, somebody playing a hero they aren't familiar with or just having a bad game. This blame is often misplaced, but it's understandable since the win count is the only piece of data currently available.

Basic Member
    Fletcher, can you explain why my game, shown in the image I posted above, was even formed? I'm aware I played badly (but it's not like you can do much as a Lina amongst a team of level 5s) and it wasn't a stomp because they kinda listened, but can you explain why such a heavily imbalanced match even began? Thanks.

Valve Developer
    Hi Luna, I think I already did: It was not a great match. Your party of two didn't have any inexperienced players in it, and so you shouldn't have been matched with inexperienced players. (The other experienced players WERE parties with newer players, though.) The 14-win player is borderline smurf, and there might need to be a number that needs some tuning. And he was partied with an experienced player (whose Elo was 1000 points lower, BTW), but still, if you are not partied with an inexperienced player, in general you should not play with an inexperienced player.

I think that the reason that it formed the match is that somebody had been waiting a while, and it needed to fill that last slot, and your party was the best it could find. We're still working on how it decides when to give up.

Basic Member
    Aha, sorry, should have made myself clear. I meant can you explain how Fixed matchmaking.png is possible, not the other game in which I was with Spike.

I could somewhat understand that there was a party of three on my team, maybe four, and it picked a player with their experience for the fourth, but what could possibly make the matchmaking pick ME for the last slot, and, even worse, how could it POSSIBLY pit us five against four people of MY level and one of theirs?
    Last edited by Luna C; 07-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Basic Member
    Hello, mr. Fletcher. I am very happy to see a Valve employee reading the community feedback and responding to it.

The games I am bound to play are highly imbalanced often. I believe it is due to the concept of matchmaking algorithm. My question is the following:
    -Have you ever considered replacing current system with something like a bracketed ladder?
    -Have you heard of dotalicious? Do you know about dota2-league project and is there a way to support it?
    -What can I do to play more balanced games? As of now, I reset the search as it gets close to "avarage wait time", resulting me to wait for a game for about 30 minutes, which wouldn't be the problem if my games were rewarding - balanced.
    - Why are the player statistics invisible to us? I have to use the program I developed to get player statistics pre-game and I believe if I released it, it could cause a heavy load on the api servers. Have you ever considered making this data public, as it would ease up my decision wether to support someone or doing the carry job myself etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by WhaleRum View Post
    I'm not sure what you are saying no to? That's what I said is it not?