Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Cosmology - WIP

Basic Member
    lol.

Also I like how this gives an in-world explanation to removed heroes of the past.
    They just happened to die off-screen in some tragic accident off-battle.

Yay! More story!
    Very nice. We need more of that stuff! If the rumors are true that you will
    make videos for Dota 2 (similar to the Meet the Team videos) than I hope we
    will see some of that story in them!
    Maybe you should write a book... ;D

Basic Member
    Man this is awesome!

Basic Member
    Awesome lore, now it finally explains what's with Void's lore and what is the Nemesis stones.

I see the influence of the Ancients working something like the cosmic radiation in H.P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space...except with two warring influences that have exerted their effect over countless generations.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600031h.html#03

As for why the heroes fight for one side over the other...and why they have any sort of alignment with one Ancient over another...that story has yet to be worked out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamprey View Post
    I see the influence of the Ancients working something like the cosmic radiation in H.P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space...except with two warring influences that have exerted their effect over countless generations.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600031h.html#03

As for why the heroes fight for one side over the other...and why they have any sort of alignment with one Ancient over another...that story has yet to be worked out.
    I like that intro, it leaves room open for a lot of possibilities. As far as why one hero might fight for one ancient or the other and swap back and forth, I think that's not something that can be justified without stretching it to a point that would be a bit ridiculous. For lore's sake, we would probably have to pretend that they are on one side and one side only. It was never really a concern with DotA itself, each hero just had a story based on its alignment, for the most part.

It should be relatively easy to make one hero decide to fight for one side or the other. From rivalries to tragic histories and traumatic events that set one against another, to pure chivalry or the simple thrill of the chaos surrounding them. Any number of things could draw a hero to one side or another. Even pure greed.

For example, this can be tied in to many of the current stories developed for the heroes. I'm thinking it ties in perfectly with say Veno's story, where he basically 'grew' in a swamp for 17 years if I recall correctly from being bit by a local monster. In this case, you can link it in such a way that, since his disposition is definitely more a chaotic one, the swamp is within territory of a Dire shard. This influence as he evolved into what Veno is now made him single-mindedly attached to the Dire cause without really understanding why he is.

As someone said earlier, some heroes can be resistant to the influence of the shards, joining one side or the other based on their own free will and decisions only (and some maybe being subtly manipulated without realizing). But some others can, as described above with Veno, just be malignantly or belignly aligned with that side.

Another quick one can be Rilay, CM's story, where she's sent to study under that mage in the northern ice. Make a story out of that mage as well, maybe he went into solitude to study ice magic, and at the same time study the Dire and Radiant, or what's known of them, from a third party perspective. In the end, after years of contemplation, he might have decided that the Radiant were who his support should go to, for whatever reason, maybe he feels like them re-gaining their power means a better outcome for the world thant he Dire winning. He would have passed that information and belief on to Rilay, and then left to disappear and help the Radiant in a more active way, leaving CM to her own devices.

Lots of potential! It would be possibly to even have neutral characters who choose neither side or both at the same time.

To add on Elmy, I think that some heroes can be explained as to being 'convinced' by the ancients. While both ancients would be manipulating heroes, they would both go in opposite directions (with the cliche of the Dire promising generally more evil rewards then the Radiant). For example, the Dire ancient could have promised unlimited power to Doom Bringer and Axe, and promised Broodmother to wipe out all trespassers for her, while the Radiant promises more benign things; for example, it could've promised Tinker to give him the knowledge to correct the Violet Plateau Incident while it promised Zeus to return his immortality.
    Naturally, it doesn't explain the somewhat more vague heroes such as Storm Spirit, Earthshaker and Batrider, whom appear to have no real desires that the ancients could manipulate, but it does create a start.
    More examples could be, on the Radiant side:
    • Alchemist - the secret to transmuting gold
    • Huskar - his place among the gods
    • Tiny - to finally discover his origins
    • Riki - the knowledge about who killed his family
    • Sniper - to return to his clan
    • Vengeful Spirit - revenge

For the Dire side:
    • Bloodseeker - all the blood he wishes
    • Weaver - to finally undo the weaves of this world
    • Dark Seer - to finally be recognized as the tactician that he is
    • Warlock - the materials/knowledge he needs to write his ow Black Grimoire

In the end though, neither ancient intends on keeping their promise, but that is what manipulation is all about, right?

Also, just like Elmy said, don't bother coming up with excuses as to why heroes are able to switch sides in-game; that's a game mechanic. I mean, have you guys even ever tried explaining why there were multiple of the same class in Team Fortress 2? Same thing here, it's a game mechanic and therefor should not have to wear lore down or even stretch it to the point of snapping.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    have you guys even ever tried explaining why there were multiple of the same class in Team Fortress 2?
    would you get mad if they did? maybe they could come up with a good reason that fits. In either/both cases.

I like that idea that perhaps their orientation is simply related to their culture having developed in proximity to one of the (not quite Ancient sized) shards.