Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300+ ms ping on SEA Server, playing from Singapore

Basic Member

300+ ms ping on SEA Server, playing from Singapore

Hi,

I'm getting massive lag lately. It only happens when I party with a specific group of friends, while the connection is ok when I play alone. All of us are from Singapore, and we pick only the SEA server. Can I get some support from the Dota 2 folks please?

Here's an ingame pic and a tracert i did:
    ingame.pngsgp.png

All help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Basic Member
    Guys?

Do you know what is your fps during the match?

And actually, I'm having the same issue, my ping on SEA servers are 200-500 ms :/
    Last edited by deadlyunknown; 02-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Basic Member
    Hey,

I am running on a pretty okay graphics card, so I do not think my problem is with fps. Also fps is not related to the internet connection right? only the ping is killing me.

What i'm more interested in is whether partying actually affects the ping. The first time I partied with a specific group of friends and got 300ms, I thought it was just a one-time bug. But the lag happened again and again, and only when I play with these folks. Any idea what is going on here?

Basic Member
    Right there in the trace route. Going up to Japan then then UK?? I would recommend calling your ISP and asking if they can improve the routing.

Quote Originally Posted by icehare View Post
    Hi,
    I'm getting massive lag lately. It only happens when I party with a specific group of friends, while the connection is ok when I play alone. All of us are from Singapore, and we pick only the SEA server. Can I get some support from the Dota 2 folks please?
    ingame.pngsgp.png
    All help is appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Please provide the source IP.

Hey,

I am running on a pretty okay graphics card, so I do not think my problem is with fps. Also fps is not related to the internet connection right? only the ping is killing me.
    What i'm more interested in is whether partying actually affects the ping. The first time I partied with a specific group of friends and got 300ms, I thought it was just a one-time bug. But the lag happened again and again, and only when I play with these folks. Any idea what is going on here?
    This is the problem from the service provider. That is StarHub. You sholud call their helpline and show them the trace and ask them to choose the correct path. I am reporting your case to StarHub. This is not the first case. Or the best option choose other provider.
    Last edited by eclubmalaysia; 02-10-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Basic Member
    Ok. Thanks man.

it's a routing problem and it happens because we get a ip assigned in a congested route, u can fix this by restarting your modem/router a couple of times as it changes your ip or another method is by going to your router page(192.168.1.1) and going in WAN settings and changing the authentication method to CHAP or MSCHAP from AUTO, doing this a couple of times will get an ip which has proper routing....check your ping every time you do this.

Valve Developer
    Looking at that trace it isn't going to Singapore. The IP is not correct. The hostname gw.sgp.valve.net doesn't actually exist (I forgot to set it up). You can use sgp.valve.net to reach Singapore. I suspect your DNS provider is doing something funny when hostnames are not found, like redirecting you to their advertising website. They really shouldn't be doing that.

Hi,

ingame.pngsgp.png

All help is appreciated.

Cheers!