Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the latest steam update issue on wineskin

Basic Member
    I'm having this problem too. The "test run" thing doesn't work for me either.

Basic Member
    Burc's solution worked for me. I ran it under Test run, canceling right when the message "extracting package" appears. It loads steam with your account name, and once there I went to "Steam" -> "check for new versions" (or something like that, got it in spanish). It said mine was already up to date.

I then ran Dota, it updated (5 minutes or so) and then it did nothing when I tried to load it. I just closed, re-opened steam the same way and tried again, it loaded perfectly.

I hope someone in Wine / Steam is working on a fix, it'd be a hassle to have to load steam like this every time and not really know if it's updated or not.

On a side note, does everyone using Wine have to do the "fix" of moving the dota window and then the steam one to be abble to use the keyboard in the game? I have to each time I load it, but I don't know if it's a general thing or I missed a newer fix of that bug.

Basic Member
    I'm having the same problem using crossover. It's really infuriating as this is the only way i can play Dota. I really wish Valve would hurry up and finally release a version for mac

Basic Member
    Thanks Burc and Hammi, I did the same thing and its working now!
    For those still having problems, after you start the test run and the update starts, make sure u cancel it when it says extracting files.

@hammi I remember having the same problem...are you still using window mode at launch?
    If so try removing "-windowed" from the dota properties ...i did that and now when I open dota it starts full screen and the keyboard always works.

Here is a video that helped me get dota running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOiAPDjLnEk

im not sure i can perform that trick with playonmac... when i attempted getting dota 2 to work in just wine it failed spectacularly for 3-4 hours straight of not getting it to work so thats my absolute last resort

Basic Member
    @jakesmith I'm having problems with the video configuration in general. I need to do that "antibug" and then leave the window as it is (configuration-wise) without touching resolution or window mode since it just freezes if I do. I'll try later to load in fullscreen mode and see what happens. I'll edit with results.

I've tried the trick but when i click cancel it just runs for a little then offers to show me the log report. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: SO i got the test run trick to work after a dozen tries, and I can successfully play Dota. Thanks for posting it here, and best of luck to everyone else. (and hopes for a quick patch to fix this)
    Last edited by moonjuice7; 02-16-2013 at 12:12 PM.

My wineskin also just started this, and the Test Run trick doesn't work. When I hit "cancel," it brings me straight to the log report every time.

I even made a completely new wineskin: it installs Steam, but then autochecks for updates, downloads a 110-ish MB patch, and goes into the extract/install/fail cycle again.
    ◕_◕

Basic Member
    Trick does not work for me neither.

What struck me as odd is that sometime the update patch files chance in size.

Also,I 'successfully' bypassed the update once,but it gave me a completely black window.

EDIT:I'm thinking of asking one of my friends who has steam is windows to copy all his Steam files and then give them to me,where I will copy all the files into Wineskin.Does anyone know if it will work?

Basic Member
    This has worked for me a couple of times:
    Open your package, and navigate to where Steam is kept. Copy the .blob files elsewhere, then delete them from that folder. At this point try to run the wrapper (NOT IN TEST RUN). It will download/extract, whatever. Basically you want to keep trying that until Steam tries to put the .blob files back (I'm not sure on timing, it could be at one of the times you cancel, Steam will write the .blobs again. I had to keep trying a couple times to get it, but it went up eventually). At that point cancel during the extract, and it should try and load Steam, and should be successful. Let me know if this works for anyone else?