Thread: Copying dota 2 on another PC

Basic Member

Unhappy Copying dota 2 on another PC

This may be a long post, but I do hope that you will read on. I saw some results from this forum and tried them, but unfortunately to no avail.

Well here's how it goes. I gave my girlfriend a dota 2 invite, and she tried downloading it via steam, her download got interrupted and would reset back to 13% or something like that randomly, and she tried downloading three times. We thought that if I uploaded my own copy of dota 2 as a torrent and gave it to her, it may work. So, I uploaded the dota 2 beta folder on steamapps via torrent and after she finished dling the whole thing, we tried to copy pasta it on her steamapps folder. however what would happen is that it wouldn't recognize the game on her folder and it keeps on redling. we tried deleting everything on the downloading folder, we tried deleting everything except steam.exe and steamapps, some other similar methods and even tried the appmanifest_570 something method, but to our distress, none of the methods we researched wouldn't work. We also tried using my login on her steam to see if it was something about the user config on dota 2.

We either get 'an error occured while updating dota 2 (disk write error)', or dota 2 would redownload all over again whenever she tries to run dota 2.

So if you guys could help us with detailed instructions on how to make my own copy of dota 2 work on her pc, we would really be grateful, forever.

TL;DR - How do we make my copy of dota 2 run on another pc.

If needed I can give more detailed information, like what methods we did use and stuff, I just don't want to make this post so cluttered that everyone will go TL;DR upon seeing. even tho it's already too long now.

Thanks a bloody lot.

She stays on a different country btw.
    Last edited by kokizi; 05-02-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added vital info.

Basic Member
    Exit steam completely (kill the process if you have to.), go to the steam folder and look for ClientRegistry.blob, rename it to ClientRegistry.blob.old and try again

Second thought:
    Try downloading it to another location, possibly some bad sectors or something.
    Last edited by Feralio; 05-02-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Moar info.

Basic Member
    Thanks a lot, we'll try this method. Hope it really works, she has pretty bad internet, took her 4 days to dl dota 2.

oh, and one more thing. do we delete the whole thing on steamapps/downloading, or leave it be?
    Last edited by kokizi; 05-02-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

Basic Member
    Just leave it be.

Basic Member
    Go to Steam. Click "Steam" on the corner upper left.Click Backup and Restore Programs. Click next (check if Backup currently installed programs is encircled). Click Dota 2. Copy the Backup folder to a USB or something. Then log-in to steam under your GF computer/account. Everything else should be easy

Basic Member
    @mudum

She stays on a different country, unfortunately. so making backup and copying it on a usb wouldn't be possible. However, I can upload a backup via torrent and give her that backup, altho hopefuly we don't have to do that method.

@Feralio

Tried the method you said. still the same thing, unfortunately. here's a screenshot. http://puu.sh/2Lmn6.jpg
    Renamed into clientregistry.bob.old, restarted steam, and when she clicked play, it just started dling.
    btw stats showing on hours played is actually mine, as I told her to use my secondary account.

we'll try moving steam into another directory, will post reply when done.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by kokizi; 05-02-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added some info

Basic Member
    just use the backup and restore method.
    BAD person is someone who only think that he/she is a pro and others are noob and then blame the Matchmaking challenge.
    GOOD person is someone who accept the Matchmaking challenge and succeeded getting a teamwork in his/her team

Basic Member
    So we moved her steam installation to a different directory C://ProgramFiles(x86) from D://

It seemed like everything went ok, her steam went through the process of updating, and then this happened.

The update keeps on pausing by itself and wouldn't allow her to resume the download, she keeps on getting the disk write error. We tried running chkdsk after restarting and she still came up w/ the disk write error. We tried to do this method

but to no avail.

We still have everything from /download in the recycle bin tho.

I really hope this problem can be solved w/o her having to download the whole thing again.
    Last edited by kokizi; 05-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Have you figured it out yet? got the same problem if you did, please help me also...Thanks

Basic Member
    Go to Steam. Click "Steam" on the corner upper left.Click Backup and Restore Programs. Click next (check if Backup currently installed programs is encircled). Click Dota 2. Copy the Backup folder to a USB or something. Then log-in to steam under your GF computer/account. Everything else should be easy