Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Dota_range_display Removed after patch?

Well I found a script that allows to display the range on certain skills but no blink etc. Works good enough.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viruser View Post
    How can you compare crosshair with range display? Crosshair is always the middle of the screen, and tells you only 1 thing: Where you are shooting at. AND is there for all players by default. However, there are times where crosshair is removed from screen because it gives you an imbalanced advantage. Take that snipe gun from counter strike as an example.
    Crosshair removes estimating where you need to shoot, especially with hitscan weapon. (AND it helps you determine the spread of your weapons) Range Indicator helps you determine how you should position yourself without guessing.

Sure a crosshair is always in the middle of the screen, so why are pro's not forced to turn it off if the location is so easy to remember?
    If the spread is easily predictable why should crosshair show the spread at all?

if a hero's range so be should easy to memorize why must range indicator be turned off?

Range display however, Is NOT enabled by default, Gives you an imbalanced advantage on multiple things, including but not limited to: Exactly where you can blink to, Where to leech exp, Where to stay without triggering smoke to wear off.
    Except Those are not imbalanced advantage if the enemy also have it. With Range indicator, they would know exactly where to position themselves to catch a blinker or to anticipate them. With Range indicator, they would know exactly how far they need to go to prevent the enemy from leeching exp. And With Range Indicator, they would know how to exactly position themselves judging by the surrounding terrain to force smokers to have to go within vision range and react appropriately.

Basically if everybody have Range Indicator, you just have to actually outplay your enemies instead of relying on dumb luck.

You should be complaining more about the 'imbalance' of the damage location indicator CS. With it, you could immediately tell the direction the damage source came from and react appropriately. Why can't pro's just determine where the attack is coming from based on their environmental awareness?

Dota 2 in one year - the new LoL.
    RIP Dota 2 Artstyle: 1, 2

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomzx View Post
    Crosshair removes estimating where you need to shoot, especially with hitscan weapon. (AND it helps you determine the spread of your weapons) Range Indicator helps you determine how you should position yourself without guessing.

Sure a crosshair is always in the middle of the screen, so why are pro's not forced to turn it off if the location is so easy to remember?
    If the spread is easily predictable why should crosshair show the spread at all?

if a hero's range so be should easy to memorize why must range indicator be turned off?

Except Those are not imbalanced advantage if the enemy also have it. With Range indicator, they would know exactly where to position themselves to catch a blinker or to anticipate them. With Range indicator, they would know exactly how far they need to go to prevent the enemy from leeching exp. And With Range Indicator, they would know how to exactly position themselves judging by the surrounding terrain to force smokers to have to go within vision range and react appropriately.

Basically if everybody have Range Indicator, you just have to actually outplay your enemies instead of relying on dumb luck.

You should be complaining more about the 'imbalance' of the damage location indicator CS. With it, you could immediately tell the direction the damage source came from and react appropriately. Why can't pro's just determine where the attack is coming from based on their environmental awareness?
    Except that it is NOT easy and is considered to be a skill to be able to judge ranges. So you want to dumb the game down with range indicators so you have 1 less skill to have to worry about.

Yeah, if everyone have MH you have to have skill to outplay your enemy, Instead of relying on fog of war and juking skills.

your last argument is not about dota.. wtf answer are you expecting from me?

That was very useful command because game don't have range indicators.
    If we have those range indicators that would be great.
    Guys that game is almost released in 2013 and we have no range indicators, DOTA was in starts in 2004.
    Option to see ranges should be to turn them on/of available for everyone.
    For me that could bring more challenges matches we have so many heroes and knowing all ranges is ridiculous for me.

About knowledge in Dota 2 there is so many information which you will never know without search,practice eg. blink dagger have 4/5 tp range when you hit outside 1200 circle it won't even tp u in 1199 range i have tasted and effective range is about ~1100.
    And when you are trying hit 1000-1200 range you can easy make mistake because u will never blink at full potential without ring range when you hit 1201 range you will be move 960 units and u will think WTF item description even not mention about that penalty.
    For me that is one example why it should be enable.
    Being able to see spel,items ranges is more noob friendly as well many pro players used blink,exp cicle as well to be more effective.
    Its just stupid when u know that blink dagger have 1200 range and you wont never know what it is without cheat...

Quote Originally Posted by <VeCo> View Post
    Dota 2 in one year - the new LoL.
    Please almost all new MOBA now days have spell range indicators.Eg: HON,LOL,SMITE and many in beta phase now Prime World...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viruser View Post
    Except that it is NOT easy and is considered to be a skill to be able to judge ranges. So you want to dumb the game down with range indicators so you have 1 less skill to have to worry about.
    And yet you are not complaining about the numerous other features that 'dumbed down' DotA that I talked about on the last page, and that is only a small slice of it.

Yeah, if everyone have MH you have to have skill to outplay your enemy, Instead of relying on fog of war and juking skills.
    Now you are just going off tangent with your comparison, especially since Map Hack is universally considered a cheat while range indicator is definitely not.
    Fog of war is a core part of RTS balancing, while features like range indicator are new additions to RTS games to make controlling units much smoother so you can actually focus on strategy instead fighting with the controls. Even Starcraft 2 have BLATANT range indicators.

Again if range indicator is a cheat, why the hell are you not complaining about AOE Spell HAVE A BLATANT INDICATOR for how big the AOE is?

your last argument is not about dota.. wtf answer are you expecting from me?
    The point is that the damage direction indicator in Counter Strike and other FPS games is basically what you would consider an imbalanced feature by your 'logic'.

Basic Member
    I can just wish for Valve will bring it back next update.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RzeznikZLasu View Post
    Please almost all new MOBA now days have spell range indicators.Eg: HON,LOL,SMITE and many in beta phase now Prime World...
    Yep, because screw being one of the most unique games in DotA genre. LoL has it, we must have it as well...

Suck it cheaters.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomzx View Post
    And yet you are not complaining about the numerous other features that 'dumbed down' DotA that I talked about on the last page, and that is only a small slice of it.

Now you are just going off tangent with your comparison, especially since Map Hack is universally considered a cheat while range indicator is definitely not.
    Fog of war is a core part of RTS balancing, while features like range indicator are new additions to RTS games to make controlling units much smoother so you can actually focus on strategy instead fighting with the controls. Even Starcraft 2 have BLATANT range indicators.

Again if range indicator is a cheat, why the hell are you not complaining about AOE Spell HAVE A BLATANT INDICATOR for how big the AOE is?

The point is that the damage direction indicator in Counter Strike and other FPS games is basically what you would consider an imbalanced feature by your 'logic'.
    You don't even bother reading my posts completely, I wonder why i still keep arguing..
    Why aren't you arguing against HP bar display that shows you how much HP enemies and allies have? Or how you can see the mana bar of allies?
    Why aren't you arguing against the cooldown displaying exactly how much second is left before you can use your skill again?
    Why aren't you arguing against double clicking your skill automatically cast the skill on yourself?
    Why aren't you arguing against giving all those courier shortcut commands instead of manually moving your items from stash to courier and courier to hero?
    Why aren't you arguing against removing hotkeys because it reduces the skill ceiling when you should always manually click on your skill button?
    Why aren't you arguing against all projectiles being homing when you should make them travel in a straight line and aim them yourself.
    Why aren't you arguing against the autoattack being enabled so you don't have to manual click for each attack?
    Why aren't you arguing against right-clicking on a hero making them automatically follow the unit?
    Why aren't you arguing against skills like mana burn and critical strike displaying the damage number?
    Why aren't you arguing against the blatant bar that tells you how long must channel a spell before it goes off or how long it last?
    Why aren't you arguing against the easy mode shopping feature compared to dota allstars shopping?
    1. Warcraft had that feature. What it didn't have was showing exactly how much hp the hero has by using those 250hp separators, And i am not happy about it. It was argued in 2012 and declined to remove by valve.

2. I dunno about you, but i have it off. If it generally makes my gameplay worse and i can turn it off, I have no problem with it.
    3. Warcraft had that feature
    4. Warcraft had that feature
    5. You just went full retard on this one.. This is no shooter. Go play some EA shit if you want to aim.
    6. Warcraft had this feature. Also, Different players with different play styles want to turn it off or on. If you turn it off, it makes last hits easier with some cons.
    7. Warcraft had this feature, And what is your suggestion? Right click send you to enemy base?
    8. Warcraft had this feature. It doesn't change anything game related, It just shows how much damage you have taken. If they remove it, all it takes is watch the enemy hero's damage and multiply it by the critical strike multiplier to get the critical damage.
    9. It still doesn't change anything. Pro players shift-queue their abilities and moves, so their gameplay will remain untouched if removed.
    10. I fail to see how shopping feature went easy mode. It's easier, i accept But pro players still buy upgrades item by item, So except the few first game to get familiar with the shop, things didn't change much.

-------------------------------------------
    Shall i remind you, We are talking about things in dota 2 that made the game easier than Warcraft 3 DotA

-----------
    About AOE spell indicator, read my last post again.

About the FPS imbalances, Go find a counter strike forum. We are talking about Dota here.