Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Expand the report system by allowing the option to tag comments (screenshots inside)

Expand the report system by allowing the option to tag comments (screenshots inside)

First of all, let me just say: this isn't another hate post about the report system but instead a suggestion to improve and expand this system with the goal of clearing any confusion about one's penalty while also helping offenders improve their attitude, which I think is the entire goal of the system.

Basically, it's no secret that many people on this forum are unhappy with the current report system and the way its penalties are given. Some of the main arguments used against this system are the following:

1. Innocent players can be reported for the wrong reasons and get an unfair penalty
    2. Players are not told what they have done wrong
    3. Players are thus forced to guess the reasons behind their penalty

What I suggest is allowing players to tag specific comments from the chat box during the report submission and prioritizing reports that have comments tagged with them. Please take a look:

As you can see, players could be able to select specific comments from the chat log and tag them in their report. Not only would this let the reporters actually figure out if a player truly was abusive and deserving of a penalty, but also the information could be very valuable to the offenders themselves. This option also wouldn't be limited to communication abuse - it might even come in handy in specific cases when you want to provide proof that someone has been intentionally feeding.

As shown in this screenshot, offenders could then receive a more detailed report about their penalty. This would not only give them the opportunity to improve their attitude by showing them their actual attitude with other players but also (perhaps more importantly) allow innocent players to prove their innocence by providing Valve the necessary information to get their ban lifted (in case someone ever ends up getting an unfair ban.)

With this feature, I feel that it would help clear any confusion about how the automated report system actually works while also having the benefit of reducing the number of complaints on the dev forum.
    Last edited by Bleako; 06-18-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: grammar; additional info

Amazing. This would really help reduce people complaining that they didn't do anything to deserve their mute as well as prevent people from falsely reporting others. Definitely would like to see this implemented!

+1

Agree but what if this would be after 1h of game in REPORT TAB in MENU (SHOULD BE ADDED) where u can select game from your last played 10 games and find word and report.

This will make more difficuly to abuse,beoucse u will need to w8 1 hour and then report and will no more rage-moements reports.

Thank you IceFrog,Valve and Dota 2 team for everything you doing for Dota and Dota 2 community.

good idea

Basic Member
    Pretty awesome idea, have my +1

Waiting for thumb with "valve, please add this"

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrath View Post
    Amazing. This would really help reduce people complaining that they didn't do anything to deserve their mute as well as prevent people from falsely reporting others. Definitely would like to see this implemented!
    If it would, it would only be if Valve forced people to do this, which isn't what the first post was suggesting. People will still be abused. This merely gives people something to do to help raging people to change. And it can(although it is unlikely) have the added benefit of providing abused players with evidence that they are being abused.
    Quote Originally Posted by glodar View Post
    +1

Agree but what if this would be after 1h of game in REPORT TAB in MENU (SHOULD BE ADDED) where u can select game from your last played 10 games and find word and report.

This will make more difficuly to abuse,beoucse u will need to w8 1 hour and then report and will no more rage-moements reports.
    If we can cut back on abuse reports with this, by all means let's go for it!
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 06-10-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Banned
    Please do this. Seriously. Please. I know that mute system works, but sometimes it doesn't work as it was intended to.

I'm a rather calm player, but I got 8 days of ban because I called someone an asshole. Usually when you play in a team with stack, it's really risky to point out mistakes, without any bad words. Because they may and will report you, just because they're friends.

This idea must be added to mute system.
    Last edited by grenzor; 06-10-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grenzor View Post
    Please do this. Seriously. Please. I know that mute system works, but sometimes it doesn't work as it was intended to.

I'm a rather calm player, but I got 8 days of ban because I called someone an asshole. Usually when you play in a team with stack, it's really risky to point out mistakes, without any bad words. Because they may and will report you, just because it's his friend.

This idea must be added to mute system.
    I think grenzor's point may be that you curse a huge troll in one game, and then get reported unfairly by a troll and/or a troll party in another game, and the algorithm takes your 'pattern of behavior' into consideration. What they don't realize is they are taking things out of context. So a guy was trolling the courier and intentional feeding and you called him an 'asshole', now that constitutes a pattern of behavior that you flame innocent players instead of that you do not well tolerate game destroyers. The system can't tell the difference between the two(when we had as many reports as we needed we could always report the game destroyer, now we can't, so even if the algorithm took into context if the guy was reported for intentional feeding or intentional ability abuse, it won't be enough because we simply can't report them anymore as we are allowed only 2 reports a week). So when you finally get reported by that stack of trolls for no reason at all you really do get muted.

Don't tell people 'take it easy, it's only a game'. Would you puke on someone's lunch as they are trying to eat it and then tell them 'take it easy, it's only food'?
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 06-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoveringmover View Post
    So a guy was trolling the courier and intentional feeding and you called him an 'asshole', now that constitutes a pattern of behavior that you flame innocent players instead of that you do not well tolerate game destroyers. The system can't tell the difference between the two
    Why do people believe that trashtalking should be automatically forgiven in the presence of another troll?

Amazing idea though with valve's track record I don't think this will actually see light anytime this year