Thread: Reporting players is the worst function in Dota 2

Basic Member

Reporting players is the worst function in Dota 2

I think reporting players is the worst function that has be designed to improve the game. I have seen a lot of time that player A asked other players to report player B because player B did not play well. I don't know what reason they report that player for since there is no such a choice that the player cannot play the game well. The idea to have the reporting thing is to improve the game environment by punish the players who have bad game behaviour. But the fact is that the reporting thing ruined the game. As far as I know, an account will be banned if the player was reported a lot. If a new player is reported by his teammates instead of getting advice about how to play, this player will not care that if the account got banned because the player will lose interest about this game and think that this game do not worth playing. If we lose our new players, this game will go to an end. Team communication is important in this game. Encourage the new players will make them be more interest about this game.

What I think is that we can provide some tutorial videos to teach the new players how to play well and suggest them to play some self practice games and watch some games (especially TI since it is free, and for TI I suggest we have a tutorial narrator who will also talk about some useful techniques during the game cast). One have to learn and practice if he/she want to play DotA 2 well.

And I suggest we add a new function which is called "blacklist". If you do not want to play with some players again, you simple put them into the blacklist, and you will not match with them anymore. And I think it is somehow impossible that someone shows on all the other players' "blacklist".

Quote Originally Posted by theReal View Post
    I think reporting players is the worst function that has be designed to improve the game.
    Welcome to what seems to be a prevailing opinion of a large majority of these forums. Valve / Devs know it's an issue. They think their system is 'working', hence the half-assed blog post they gave us. It's not working when you get limited reports a week, people abuse reports, people abuse smurfs to report, etc.

Basically until the entire system is reworked (e.g. NOT AUTOMATIC like it currently is, which is why its so heavily abused), there's no point complaining about the mute system. Anyone can get muted. Everyone will be at some point most likely (and after the first mute, subsequent mutes are exceedingly easy to receive).

Basic Member
    I am really unhappy with this system as well, I had previously never been muted, but in just this current month, i have been muted twice. Neither of these mutes were due to violations of the tou or abusive language, it was simply people reporting me for minute reasons, like the most recent one was unpausing the game after waiting 10 minutes for someone who abandoned later on in the game. It's quite simply broken. Either fix it or remove it.

Basic Member
    @ mooseindistress
    Although anyone can get muted, not everyone report others properly. It is hard to play this game without communication.
    I am not just complaining about this system. I point out why the problem exist and give some suggestion.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theReal View Post
    I think reporting players is the worst function that has be designed to improve the game. I have seen a lot of time that player A asked other players to report player B because player B did not play well. I don't know what reason they report that player for since there is no such a choice that the player cannot play the game well. The idea to have the reporting thing is to improve the game environment by punish the players who have bad game behaviour. But the fact is that the reporting thing ruined the game. As far as I know, an account will be banned if the player was reported a lot. If a new player is reported by his teammates instead of getting advice about how to play, this player will not care that if the account got banned because the player will lose interest about this game and think that this game do not worth playing. If we lose our new players, this game will go to an end. Team communication is important in this game. Encourage the new players will make them be more interest about this game.

What I think is that we can provide some tutorial videos to teach the new players how to play well and suggest them to play some self practice games and watch some games (especially TI since it is free, and for TI I suggest we have a tutorial narrator who will also talk about some useful techniques during the game cast). One have to learn and practice if he/she want to play DotA 2 well.

And I suggest we add a new function which is called "blacklist". If you do not want to play with some players again, you simple put them into the blacklist, and you will not match with them anymore. And I think it is somehow impossible that someone shows on all the other players' "blacklist".
    I see that all the time lol, especially Sundays.

http://dotabuff.com/players/124296606
    [I Like to feed. But as you can see when I go in, I don't just give the tip.]