Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running on Intel HD Graphics 4000, workarounds, solutions, glitches

Basic Member

Running on Intel HD Graphics 4000, workarounds, solutions, glitches

Hello,

Since today I've been running Dota 2 successfully, without major performance or visual problems on my Intel Core i5 3320M, which has HD Graphics 4000.

I'm running it on Ubuntu 13.04 64bit. I'm not running a compositing window manager, just OpenBox/LXDE.

A few days before Dota 2 test was released on linux, a major problem in drivers was finally fixed. The bug caused player characters, trees and other models to be invisible most of the time.

The bug was present when running Dota 2 on Wine too. With this fix (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...7ef389dd9f9b39) Dota 2 was running quite well with wine, with some performance penalties compared to Windows, but perfectly payable. The version of xorg edgers ppa I'm running now, that has the fix, has mesa version 292368570a13501dfa95b1b0dd70966caf6ffc6b (this long number is the git commit id).

When Dota 2 test came out many people noticed problems with text rendering, and the bug to track it is here:
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2/issues/38

Unlike the previous bug, this one is not Intel specific, but seems to affect many Mesa OpenGL drivers including AMD and nVidia drivers. The bug turns out to be related to the way Dota 2 uses the capabilities it sees in Mesa drivers, so we're waiting for Valve to fix it. The workaround is to:

export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1 somewhere in the environment before Steam or Dota is run.

More technical discussion on this issue here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66833

This quote from Chris Forbes is the most technical description of the problem:
    As a workaround, running the game with

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1

produces correct rendering. If you don't offer the GL3 internalformats, the game doesn't break itself on them.
    I get around 35 FPS on my setup, 1920x1080 with this graphics settings:
    2013-07-14_00009.jpg

I do have the following glitches still:

- Sometimes (when running fullscreen, not borderless window mode i think), cooldown images are misplaced:2013-07-14_00003.jpg

-or even amusingly wrong: 2013-07-14_00005.jpg

- The game (or steam) seems to open an invisible window in upper left corner of the screen, preventing me from clicking there even after I switch away from the game, or exit the game.

Anyway, good job Valve developers!

With the text bug, the tutorial crash bug and other small issues solved, I hope we'll have a regular (non-test) client out soon

Basic Member
    I fixed the blocky text issue with the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1, but i still get visual glitches (black FoW, weird flashing water, sunrays are huge blocks, tree in mid lane on fire with rocks falling to it) and very low fps 10-30 (windows fps 90-100 all max settings in both)
    Blurry textures are fixed when i run borderless window 1920x1080
    Run on stock Linux Mint 15 x86_64 cinnamon DE, i7 2600K, 16GB ram, amd radeon hd 6950 2GB, drivers MESA stock in mint with the above env variable.
    Tried AMD drivers from OS and crashed. Using AMD 13.4 drivers from AMD site works also: no blocky text but same glitches as above plus no load splash screen. I get 30-70 fps though with them

Also missing some sounds (hero select, shop shounds etc)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by =Rox= View Post
    I fixed the blocky text issue with the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1, but i still get visual glitches (black FoW, weird flashing water, sunrays are huge blocks, tree in mid lane on fire with rocks falling to it) and very low fps 10-30 (windows fps 90-100 all max settings in both)
    Blurry textures are fixed when i run borderless window 1920x1080
    Run on stock Linux Mint 15 x86_64 cinnamon DE, i7 2600K, 16GB ram, amd radeon hd 6950 2GB, drivers MESA stock in mint with the above env variable.
    Tried AMD drivers from OS and crashed. Using AMD 13.4 drivers from AMD site works also: no blocky text but same glitches as above plus no load splash screen. I get 30-70 fps though with them

Also missing some sounds (hero select, shop shounds etc)
    This topic is for Intel GPUs, but it might help you with some issues to to upgrade to latest xorg edgers ppa (available for ubuntu, but should work on Mint too). Also, I'm not sure if cinnamon has compositing, but turning it off could help.

Basic Member
    thanks and sorry. i tried the xorg-edgers ppa and fps went up to 30-70 but i get more visual glitches - artifacting all over the place

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by =Rox= View Post
    thanks and sorry. i tried the xorg-edgers ppa and fps went up to 30-70 but i get more visual glitches - artifacting all over the place
    Making a trace and submitting a bug report to mesa (using this instructions: http://www.mesa3d.org/bugs.html) is very useful.

For making a trace use https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace

With a trace we can deduce if the problem is really on the driver side, or if it is maybe on the Dota 2 client side.

Basic Member
    I have some "bad" news. I've tested Windows version with the same settings, and not only it looks better (higher res), but it is 60fps.

Lets hope there will be optimizations in Linux driver speed and Dota 2 on linux. The current situation is not too bad, but could be a lot better.

Basic Member
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you get better performance if you ran DotA without DE? I can't test it right now, but I will definitely try this out and post how much different results I got.

HI, I have dell vostro 3360 with I7-3517 and onboard Intel hd 4000. I'm using Archlinux x64 with kde. I had installed steam without any issues, then I installed dota2 from steam. But when I ran first time I сaught GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc. When I run steam with "force_s3tc_enable=true steam" it don't fail after the start but smth weird is going onsnapshot1.png I have the same ( arch x64 with kde) on my desktop with i5-3450 and nvidia 660 everything's ok there. I think the problem is in openGL on this gpu. But steam says that intel hd 4000 is supported for both linux and mac.
    Last edited by deathangel908; 07-31-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Is anybody alive here?))

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deathangel908 View Post
    Is anybody alive here?))
    I don't know what's supposed to be wrong in your screenshot.