PDA

View Full Version : Pudge Hook Misses over Stairs

Unincorporated
12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
When playing as Pudge, I have noticed (on multiple occassions, also confirmed by other players) that when Pudge is above a staircase, and he tries to hook a target at the bottom of the staircase, the hook will occassionally sail right over the target's head and miss the hook entirely. Unfortunately I don't have an exact match ID - it has happened in several matches in my play history as Pudge, and the bug does not seem to occur in all circumstances.

My best guess on steps to reproduce:
Level pudge so that he has a level 4 hook
Move pudge to the top of the stairs on the mid lane
Have a target moving around at the bottom of/on the stairs
Attempt a hook (repeatedly if necessary)

Areas affected

Staircases on mid lane
Staircases to the sides of mid lane down to river
Staircases above/below rune/secret shops

I am not sure if this is a visual glitch or not, but I have noticed that when this happens, the hooks are visually close enough that in other circumstances, would have connected easily.

Reneblade
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
i seem to have this problem with all skill shots(eg mirana's arrow). its almost always occurring around the stairs though.

vladhood
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
i don't want to say 'confirmed' but i have definitely seen mirana arrows and pudge hooks fly through people on stairs and similar areas where there's differences in depth (could be wrong tho)

Razp
12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Z-axis targeting adds more depth and skill into the game.
Please don't fix it :(

Zasz
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Z-axis targeting adds more depth and skill into the game.
Please don't fix it :(

More like a nerf to skillshot heroes, as if it was needed.

pglppasarel
12-15-2011, 02:54 AM
i think i explained here how this works http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=12508, or at least i hope i did :D

MOJIOKO
12-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Same thing with clockwerk actually, pretty annoying.

Unincorporated
12-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Interesting pglppasarel - I'm not sure what the answer is, I just know that it should not be impossible to hook people on different levels of terrain, to me difficulty around that does not add anything to the game.

Grizz
01-04-2012, 01:59 AM
I think it has to do with dota2 camera view showing more of a trapezoidal area instead of a rectangle, or the world feeling "round". My only personal complaint with dota2 is the viewing angles seem to dramatically change how targeting/selecting works. In warcraft 3 the camera felt consistent no matter where you moved it. In dota 2 I feel like the edges of your screen start to bend/curve. If an elevation change is near the outside of my view I get some really wonky results while using skillshots/clicking things ect.

Tsplodey
01-04-2012, 02:56 AM
I think it has to do with dota2 camera view showing more of a trapezoidal area instead of a rectangle, or the world feeling "round". My only personal complaint with dota2 is the viewing angles seem to dramatically change how targeting/selecting works. In warcraft 3 the camera felt consistent no matter where you moved it. In dota 2 I feel like the edges of your screen start to bend/curve. If an elevation change is near the outside of my view I get some really wonky results while using skillshots/clicking things ect.
This x 100. Ive missed a lot of spells like Venomous Gale because I dont have the camera centered on myself when I use it, even though it looks like a direct hit.