PDA

View Full Version : Dota 2 Screen Freezes but Sound still plays and game responds

CONquest
07-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Many times throughout the course of one game, my screen freezes on a single frame and will not unfreeze itself. I can still here the sounds of the game and control my player by clicking on the map, but I can no longer see what is occurring due to the freeze. I then have to disconnect and reconnect to unfreeze the screen. This has resulted in abandons due to accumulated time spent disconnected, and now i'm in low pri. I am using a laptop with these specs:

TOSHIBA
Satellite C75D-A
AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 2.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM (7.45 GB usable)
Windows 8.1 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

This does not seem to be a connection problem due to the fact i can interact with the other players through voice chat, and it only seems to be Dota that this is happening in. Even with the settings on the lowest standards, it still freezes just as much. I've been able to run higher end games such as Arma 2 with higher graphics settings and no freezes like this. As of now I cannot do anything within Dota besides navigate the home menu without freezing.

CONquest
07-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Bump?

asztalilampa
08-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I have the same issue and it must be a video card problem, but updating the driver doesn't seem to work (I have AMD Radeon HD8400, brand new laptop). Btw nobody knows what's the exact problem.

CONquest
08-06-2014, 07:19 PM
I have the same issue and it must be a video card problem, but updating the driver doesn't seem to work (I have AMD Radeon HD8400, brand new laptop). Btw nobody knows what's the exact problem.

Updating does nothing like you said, when will we get any help with this?

asztalilampa
08-08-2014, 05:18 AM
I'd try to contact steam support but i don't know how to. I don't even know who to contact.

CONquest
08-11-2014, 01:22 PM
I'd try to contact steam support but i don't know how to. I don't even know who to contact.

Valve devs won't do anything.

richard_n413
08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
I have the same problem. I have the exact same specifications as the first poster (apart from it is a Satellite C50D-A). The people posting the same problem on other forums seem to have one common denominator and that is the AMD Radeon graphics.

noneEggs
08-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Same problem but with a Nvidia, I underclocked the Mem clock of the card by 100MHz and suddenly everything is fine...i dunno

Grazer
08-21-2014, 04:59 AM
Screen freezes and doesn't ever unfreeze... Toshiba Satellite... AMD Radeon graphics. Check, check, check. Looks like I'm in the same boat as you guys. Absolutely no fix, then?

Dubbsya
08-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Me too. also toshiba satellite, radeon graphics. Game runs fine even with high graphic settings just randomly freezes 2 to 3 times per game. Sometimes I'll get lucky and get one whole game without a freeze. I have tried completely reinstalling graphics drivers twice. Reinstalling the game twice. and some somewhere said to un check the cloud sync, but that didn't work either. With so many people with the exact same problem you would think this would be easy to diagnose/correct.

Imythedralle
08-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Same problem but with a Nvidia, I underclocked the Mem clock of the card by 100MHz and suddenly everything is fine...i dunno
What app did you use to underclock? I've MSI afterburner but it doesn't seem to work. Prolly coz mine is AMD xD

Jirosei8
08-21-2014, 07:58 PM
This problem is caused by the GPU(display driver crash) overheating to unsustainable levels and having to restart. This is a known problem with the Toshiba Satelite laptops. A quick fix is to buy some thermal paste and apply it between the heatsink and the gpu, or to underclock the gpu so that it doesn't run as intense.

MizReal
08-22-2014, 08:51 AM
not really. I have a Lenovo with AMD. Cleaning and replacing the thermal paste has not helped. and remained unresponsive and yes as mentioned in the post above, there is such that it is possible to play without them. BUT it is very rare, very much!
P.S. subscribe to the owners of the problem)

Dubbsya
08-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Still seems strange that it doesn't happen on other seemingly equally graphic intensive games if it's a problem with over heating.

Grazer
08-22-2014, 12:33 PM
I tried underclocking and it didn't seem to work. Perhaps I'm doomed to never play Dota.

MizReal
08-24-2014, 06:44 AM
Seems to have found. in any case already played 4 games and nothing portends crash

Exit the client Steam.
Open the "Run" using the key combination Windows + R (or click Start and type in the search "Run").
Type "steam://flushconfig" and press Enter. If you need permission to run the program this site, click Allow or OK.
Restart the computer.
Run Steam directly from the installation folder, and not with a shortcut (~ C: \\ program files (x86) \\ Steam).

<VeCo>
08-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Same problem here, It's super annoying... :mad:

Dubbsya
08-26-2014, 09:25 AM
So, i tried installing the AMD drivers straight from Toshiba, not from AMD and that seemed to work for a game or two. I think it is an overheating issue, but the question then is why does this game over heat when other games that use even more GPU don't. I have seen a few threads about quad core processors causing crashes. I have the Athelon A6 quad core. The other posts linked to a custom driver, but it is only for intel quad core machines. I haven't tried the fix from Mizreal above, but I will be testing that out later today. It seems like some how this game is only using memory from the GPU or it isn't using any, I don't know I'm not a huge tech head, but it seems crazy to me that when I can run 25 man raids at a decent frame rate on WoW without any overheating that my computer can't run DOTA 2 without crashing, even on low graphic settings.

Like all of you I just wish we could find an answer to this.

Dubbsya
08-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Hey are you running the Flushconfig every time you start the game?

punkboy991
08-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey so I've tried installing the AMD drivers through Toshiba as well, but I was only able to play halfway through the game before it froze yet again and I saw a notification balloon saying "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." This is really frustrating I can't even play one game without a screen freeze. I have created another thread any of you can check out regarding this issue listing my specs and everything I've tried myself. Maybe there's something I haven't tried yet that might work.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=144013

Dubbsya
08-27-2014, 08:34 AM
I think we have the exact same PC, you have a bit more ram than me but other than that pretty much the same. So yesterday after doing the flushconfig I was able to play a two 1 v 1 games with no freezing but they were only around 15 minutes long.

I swear it must be an overheating issue, but it has to be do to the game not using the memory and processor speed properly. I'll be following your other post. Hopefully we can get this figured out. I've started looking at maybe just playing other MOBAs but Dota2 is my fave.

julsneh
08-28-2014, 12:36 PM
bump :( same problem

MagnaArchos
08-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Exact same problem here, game is completely unplayable

I'm using a
HP Envy 14
6 GB RAM, Intel i7-2630QM at 2GHz
Radeon HD 6630M graphics card

Edit: Also happens with CS:GO, anyone else having problems with both games?

Dubbsya
08-29-2014, 06:17 AM
I've started taking abandons due to this problem

Dubbsya
08-29-2014, 06:29 AM
guys I found this thread of people with same problems, one solution presented is to used Beta Drivers. I don't know, worth looking at.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/35221031549289955/#p2

MagnaArchos
08-29-2014, 09:54 AM
guys I found this thread of people with same problems, one solution presented is to used Beta Drivers. I don't know, worth looking at.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/35221031549289955/#p2

Heads up to anyone using switchable graphics (Notably the HP Envy Series, I'm using an Envy 14)- beta drivers will not work for you and install incorrectly. I just tried and had to uninstall all drivers for my graphics card (and AMD's non-beta drivers aren't working as well)
So now I'm just running my computer off of integrated intel graphics- Dota is in potato quality mode and I can't use the Radeon HD 6630M at all...
But at least it doesn't seem to be freezing anymore

Edit: Tried running it without drivers installed (so only off the integrated graphics) Didn't run any better, no freezes for the first 10 minutes or so then back to the usual

punkboy991
08-30-2014, 03:58 AM
Hey yeah it's not a fix for everyone. I have the beta drivers of AMD catalyst 14.7 without switchable graphics and there's no notable difference. I made sure to do a complete uninstall>reboot>install>reboot so I don't think that's a complete fix.

Dubbsya
08-30-2014, 07:37 AM
I did the beta drivers and I was able to play about 3 whole games before my first freeze but it did eventually come back. It's clearly some kind of driver issue.

<VeCo>
08-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Updated to beta drivers, still freezing. :(

myleszeee
08-30-2014, 09:02 AM
This used to happen to me on my old laptop i would blindly click where the menu button is twice to take me to the menu and then return me to the game and it usually refreshed itself, this was on and old lenovo laptop.

punkboy991
08-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah I tried doing that too but it remained frozen. I think I even managed to disconnect and reconnect by blind clicking and going by sounds once, but the screen still didn't change :(

ineedgunz
11-02-2014, 10:17 AM
i have been having the same problem 4 months till i came up with a fix.i just put " -novid -nod3d9ex " this codes on my launch option.
hope i have helped you guys GLHF

IcarusZA
11-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Same issue, Game freezes randomly but sound continues, after latest update my game freezes every 2 minutes. "Display driver stopped working"
Only happens with dota,
gpu: Radeon hd R7770

IcarusZA
11-24-2014, 01:52 PM
i have been having the same problem 4 months till i came up with a fix.i just put " -novid -nod3d9ex " this codes on my launch option.
hope i have helped you guys GLHF

Tried that, worked for a few games but game still freezing now.

omarqp
04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Same problem here, plz valve!
Windows 8.1 64 bit (6.3 build 9600)
Hp pavilion ts11 notebook
AMD A6-1450 (4 cpu ~1.0ghz)
4096 ram
Directx 11
Amd radeon graphics hd 8250 (memory 2032mb)

sizzlebox
04-03-2015, 08:16 PM
I also have the same problem.
home built PC
i5 4690k
8GB RAM
AMD 290X

Most of the time it correlates to a large graphical event (an ult with particles, etc.), but not 100%.

frankelterri
04-04-2015, 11:24 AM
plz volvo, same problem

Toshiba C55 B5117k

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional
OS Version 6.3.9600.16452 (Win8.1 RTM)
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core i5-5200U, 2300 MHz (23 x 100)
DIMM1: Samsung M471B5173QH0-YK0 4 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz) (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 380 MHz)Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (1 GB)
Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (2 GB)

the_dalai_llama
04-17-2015, 04:24 AM
I SOLVED THE PROBLEM! I was having the same issue: Updated, Dota suddenly starts freezing video once/twice per game, but sound and controls were still working.

I figured if the video card is crapping out, try adjusting video settings.

When I changed screen resolution fro 1900x1080 to 1600x900, the problem went away. I haven't had freeze since making the change.

Good luck!

omarqp
06-20-2015, 07:19 AM
32112 32113
This is how my computer look like when that happens.

omarqp
07-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Guise, i found that in the new DOTA 2 REBORN, this will not happen again.

Nochex
08-07-2015, 06:05 PM
I also have the same issue, it is present both in dota normal and reborn.
I'm on PC
GTX 970 FTW
8GB Corsair
AMD Phenom ll 945

Played dota2 and reborn for quite some time on Windows7 with no problems like never.
Move to Windows 10 and this problem appears. Same sympthoms, I enter the game normally, after a couple minutes in the menu the screen freezes and can't do anything, if it's set on full screen I can't even return to windows, not by pressing alt-tab, ctrl alt del or ctrl-esc NOTHING I need to reset the computer. Still, I can hear sound in the background.

Tried running the game on different resolutions and full/window mode.
Set the game to be compatibility mode with windows 7, all the 3 dota2.exe in the folder
Updated drivers 3 times

All of a sudden, yesterda I was able to play 3 matches with no problem, but today the issue returned. This is becoming serious, somebody from valve should know about this

From time to time, it allows me to play normally, just a few moments before I played a match normally. Then closed the game, went to WoW for a few minutes, then came back to Dota and again, freeze screen at 2 mins of opening....... this is becoming really frustrating

Nochex
08-19-2015, 07:56 AM
No updates on this? It is also happening on Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft2...

aveyo
08-20-2015, 08:34 AM
It happens on different games, so not just Valve's problem.
You should direct your inquires first to MICROSOFT and NVIDIA.

This is freaking embarrassing and Microsoft + Nvidia + Valve should work their butts off instead of cruising in their Bugatti's. At least support people with latest hardware - most likely to trow cash at you again.

In any case, post more detailed info about your :
system - dxdiag output;
gpu - use nvidiainspector, click the tool icon near driver version, then export global and dota.exe profiles;
settings - game cfg folders.
Archive everything and attach it to your post.

weako
08-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Haha, for me is just dota having this problem. Still looking for solution.

DragonJ
08-24-2015, 11:08 PM
I also have the same issue, it is present both in dota normal and reborn.
I'm on PC
GTX 970 FTW
8GB Corsair
AMD Phenom ll 945

Played dota2 and reborn for quite some time on Windows7 with no problems like never.
Move to Windows 10 and this problem appears. Same sympthoms, I enter the game normally, after a couple minutes in the menu the screen freezes and can't do anything, if it's set on full screen I can't even return to windows, not by pressing alt-tab, ctrl alt del or ctrl-esc NOTHING I need to reset the computer. Still, I can hear sound in the background.

Tried running the game on different resolutions and full/window mode.
Set the game to be compatibility mode with windows 7, all the 3 dota2.exe in the folder
Updated drivers 3 times

All of a sudden, yesterda I was able to play 3 matches with no problem, but today the issue returned. This is becoming serious, somebody from valve should know about this

From time to time, it allows me to play normally, just a few moments before I played a match normally. Then closed the game, went to WoW for a few minutes, then came back to Dota and again, freeze screen at 2 mins of opening....... this is becoming really frustrating

I'm having this problem also, except I've never gotten it to work properly.

Win10 Home
2x GTX 980 Ti (same behavior with SLI enabled or disabled)
16 GB Crucial DDR4
i7 5820K

weako
08-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Lol, what we should do? RMA the GPU?

DragonJ
08-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Anyone found a fix to this? I haven't been able to play in weeks. :\

grappas
08-30-2015, 06:43 AM
On linux it's just fine. On Windows same issue: screen freezes but sound and response is OK.

weako
09-01-2015, 05:40 AM
Seriously i have no idea what to do already. my Pc around 2 weeks old. Just RMA the graphic card exchange for a new one. Still facing the same problem.

Vermouth
09-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Lost an official yesterday because of this crap. Was about to hit a 4 man blackhole, during the Blink my Game freezed, i jumped into the 4 enemy heroes and died. Thanks Volvo.

Sorena
09-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Hello ppl

it happens when you dont have a powerful cpu or gpu or enough ram
valve also can fix this one too
but if you have a good system:
if you have nvidia use open gl mode on your dota DLC then after download put a -gl in your launch option if you have less than 3core cpu dont use -high in your launch option

if you dont wanna use open gl mode or you are amd user you can also try -dx11 or -dx9 you can test both one by one for example it happens to me when i use -dx9 but its ok on dx11

and make sure you have less than 5-10% cpu usage before launching the game

btw before asking for solutions, post your system specs too
Good luck

Vermouth
09-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Hello ppl

it happens when you dont have a powerful cpu or gpu or enough ram
valve also can fix this one too
but if you have a good system:
if you have nvidia use open gl mode on your dota DLC then after download put a -gl in your launch option if you have less than 3core cpu dont use -high in your launch option

if you dont wanna use open gl mode or you are amd user you can also try -dx11 or -dx9 you can test both one by one for example it happens to me when i use -dx9 but its ok on dx11

and make sure you have less than 5-10% cpu usage before launching the game

btw before asking for solutions, post your system specs too
Good luck

Stop posting random stuff. I have a Titan and 16GB Ram.
OpenGL doesnt help at all. Same with different DirectX Versions.
But seems like Valve does not give a shit.
They don't even ask for ErrorLogs, Systems of Users etc. to find the issue.

aveyo
09-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Most of these crashes are uploaded to their servers automatically. They don't magically fix issues.

Sorena
09-13-2015, 12:18 AM

Well i apologize for what i have done :|
but you dont really need to be rude about it :)
and yes valve does not give shit but dude these things works for some ppl( makes game playable so far so good ) its better than nothing
GL

dan8834
09-14-2015, 12:55 PM
mine nvidia g force 750m 4gb
i7
ssd
16gb memory
i cant buy any item sets or tresures or couriers or wards or anything freezes
demo enemy respawn crashes
some times while play freezes

decoder_2q
07-31-2016, 10:18 AM
same problem here. amd fx 6350, geforce gtx 770, 8 gb.
screen freeze even after restart game

zK_
11-19-2016, 02:29 PM
november 2016 and this problem still exists. VALVE, FIGURE THIS OUT! This bug makes the game unplayable for a considerable amount of players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euepekJn6Dc here is a youtube link to a user experiencing this very issue. This needs to be addressed ASAP ITS BEEN OVER 3 YEARS OF THIS GARBAGE!!!

cham
04-09-2017, 01:41 PM
after months or years with that problem, i have tried everything. ddu, tdr, old versions, new versions, uninstall, install, registry. i have found the solution for the dota 2 graphic card crash / screen freeze (while sound and everything else working) / application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware / AMD wattman has been restore to default due to unexpected problem. corrently windows 10 but it happened on win 7 before too. go to the AMD RADEON SETTINGS via system tray or right click the desktop --> GAMING --> GLOBAL SETTINGS --> GLOBAL WATTMAN. there reduce the clock speed from defult 1070 to ---> 950 by max 970.
press APPLY.