PDA

View Full Version : The most frequently asked question:

chojje
05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/faq

The most frequently asked question among any competitive player I've talked to is: will I be able to turn off unnecessary cosmetic items without using any work around? Valve not even touching upon this question seems really strange to me.

05-31-2012, 06:14 PM
why should they allow to turn of the only thing where they can earn money with?
if u could turn it off and everybody does it, no one will buy cosmetic stuff, so no money for valve, so no free dota 2.

Proskub
05-31-2012, 06:16 PM
if u could turn it off and everybody does it, no one will buy cosmetic stuff, so no money for valve, so no free dota 2.
The most retarded argument ever. Isn't the point of buying skins and cosmetics supposed to be because YOU think it looks cool and not what others think?

Windmonk
They should give you the option to "buy" the game, and never see any cosmetic items.

Digirider
people will still buy it if they have a option to only see their own.

Absolute

We don't need free dota2 :D

poochop
05-31-2012, 06:17 PM
I hate F2P, I don't like cosmetics, but oh well. With it being F2P and having no heroes locked, that will probably end up taking a lot of the LoL/HoN base if they can handle it. Not hating on their community, just saying it's a slightly different game (LoL at least). I hope F2P doesn't attract the wrong kind of customers though.

But more on topic, oh well with cosmetics. Purely optional, it'll probably end up being fun in the end, finding items and stuff that your friends don't have, but it can get out of hand. I'll just have to make sure I never ever buy any cosmetics and just earn them :P.

vector
even if it's not free i'd still like to see some of these costumes n stuff ... it's badass. but an option to turn it off would b perfect for ppl who dont like it.

chojje

I would pay a lot of money for such an option. Cosmetics ruined competitive TF2 for me, and it seems like this will happen right from the start with Dota 2 as well. My main issue, however, is that they don't seem to want to mention the issue as well - but this isn't TF2 with a mainly pub-based fanbase, it's Dota 2 with a highly competitive scene that doesnt enjoy things obviously catered to casuals.

JohnnyBravo
05-31-2012, 06:20 PM
The most retarded argument ever. Isn't the point of buying skins and cosmetics supposed to be because YOU think it looks cool and not what others think?
Unfortunately no, morons (and there are alot of them) feel the need to show off their useless crap

stwaraccqwx
05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
I have no prob with other people buying and wearing cosmetic items but i will never do so.THe thing that concerns me is whether these
hats/heads/horns/weapons/dildos will result in a n FPS drop.I wouldn't want to lower my graphics more due to the cosmetic items.
To conclude,if cosmetics are responsible for FPS drop an option to turn them off is absolutely necessary!

Seven Five Seven
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I would also like to say that I support an option to disable cosmetic items. Although I'm not sure if I would use it, there's definitely a large crowd of players that I believe would like the option to. However, I also understand that Valve would be hesitant to add such an option, as it may have potentially detrimental effect on player's decisions to purchase items.

kl4user
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately no, morons (and there are alot of them) feel the need to show off their useless crap
Who cares? Let them show each other their useless shit

chojje
05-31-2012, 06:27 PM
I would also like to say that I support an option to disable cosmetic items. Although I'm not sure if I would use it, there's definitely a large crowd of players that I believe would like the option to. However, I also understand that Valve would be hesitant to add such an option, as it may have potentially detrimental effect on player's decisions to purchase items.

If you look at TF2, I don't think such a change would lower their incomes notably, and if it should - would that not be an acceptable sacrifice to keep a BIG part of your playerbase satisfied?

pard
05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Valve sure fucked up with this FAQ. The ability to disable cosmetics has been by far the most commented subject on the matter these past few days and they just chose to ignore it. Just a step towards the beloved EA/Activision behavior. Too bad.

kl4user
05-31-2012, 06:41 PM
One of the most interesting things is:
"Q: Will I have to pay to get access to heroes?
A: All of the heroes will be available free of charge. We believe restricting player access to heroes could be destructive to game design, so it's something we plan to avoid."

Xelfire
05-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Why make sacrifices for cheap ass human beings that will never pay a cent for anything ever? I hate so many of you useless dota players. You spend 9 hours a day playing a game that you give nothing back to and then whine and complain when others support the game and allow it to exist and be fun. Do you realize how much money and time valve has already put in to dota 2? Or how much it costs to run their servers around the world? I like thieves and gangbangers more than most dota freeloaders. At least they have balls.

SomeAsian
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
If you look at TF2, I don't think such a change would lower their incomes notably, and if it should - would that not be an acceptable sacrifice to keep a BIG part of your playerbase satisfied?

If that sacrifice leads to them not making profit? No. Will it? Debatable.

DerVerrater
05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Why make sacrifices for cheap ass human beings that will never pay a cent for anything ever? I hate so many of you useless dota players. You spend 9 hours a day playing a game that you give nothing back to and then whine and complain when others support the game and allow it to exist and be fun. Do you realize how much money and time valve has already put in to dota 2? Or how much it costs to run their servers around the world? I like thieves and gangbangers more than most dota freeloaders. At least they have balls.

They dont sell the game in a traditional manner and i am not interested in the pointless hats that ultimatly killed TF2 for me, I guess that puts me between a rock and a hard place but a thief? Its pretty hard to steal something thats being given away for free.

pard
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much have you ever spent on steam?

andzero
05-31-2012, 07:15 PM
I really hope we have the option to disable cosmetic appearance.

I hate out-of-theme cosmetics, it's like playing a parody of dota 2.
Also, everyone's standard of out-of-theme definitely differ; so a preference to set default appearance would be great.

Unsoppapeable
05-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Only mechanic BM and cowboy Ursa are out-of-theme. Besides you can thumb down an those cosmetics will never see the light on dota2, right?

natj
05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
where my items?
i got a few items in matches and where are they?

I did not find them in steam inventory

Kakee
05-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Alright, for starters I think we should aknowledge the part of being a human where you get a thing to brag about it. Is anyone going to dispute that such impulses exists? No? Yeah, you better not because you've probably done so yourself sometime, unless you're saint Mary or something.

With that said, in normal pubs where nobody gives a fuck I think from a business standpoint that it would make sense to not dissallow cosmetics. If someone wants to dress ugly next to me on the train I can't ask him to leave, right?

In custom games though there should be an option to disable cosmetics, just to keep things tidy when competitive matches are being played.

andzero
06-01-2012, 12:03 AM
'Only mech BM and cowboy Ursa' - Yes, others are good. However, This is the premiere set of cosmetic items, which should contain, generally considered, good items..

If this cosmetic appearance cannot be hidden, I only hope that the next customizations are in-theme.

Raunchy
06-01-2012, 12:30 AM
What does it give them? Can they put your satisfaction in their pockets?
Dont be such a jerk.

Raunchy
06-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Valve sure fucked up with this FAQ. The ability to disable cosmetics has been by far the most commented subject on the matter these past few days and they just chose to ignore it. Just a step towards the beloved EA/Activision behavior. Too bad.
Is it some kind a charity? After all efforts they put in this game they want to get their profit.
You're like some school kid if you dont understand that.

slowreflex
06-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Yes, it is discussed a lot, so you should know to not start a duplicate thread about it. Closed.