PDA

View Full Version : Won't the cosmetic items just encourage people to only play one hero?

staaation
05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
probably not worth starting a thread over, but i'm a bit concerned that people will only play heroes they have items for, instead of picking ones that will help the team etc.

func_door
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
A ton of people already play only one hero. If anything this new system will get people to play more heroes (since they're more likely to get drops for one of the heroes besides the one they play)

staaation
05-31-2012, 08:02 PM
you have a point, i suppose ursa/huskar/bloodseeker can't get picked up in pubs more than they already do hahaha

ParagonRice
05-31-2012, 08:02 PM
If Valve doesn't award achievements with items then nothing will be different, but I don't think they have made a statement on that matter just yet.

Rice_22
05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Yep. That's something Valve should consider. For now I don't think they understand fully the effects even cosmetic items and achievements have on GAMEPLAY.

staaation
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
i have this horrible feeling i'm going to see people disconnect if they can't play as their hero they items for

func_door
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Yep. That's something Valve should consider. For now I don't think they understand fully the effects even cosmetic items and achievements have on GAMEPLAY.I'm pretty sure they are aware thanks to tf2, it's probably why they made cosmetics for a lot of different heroes this patch

AbsoluteNoob
05-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Yep. That's something Valve should consider. For now I don't think they understand fully the effects even cosmetic items and achievements have on PUB HEROES LINEUP. Fix'd.

Unsoppapeable
05-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I was the first that posted this problem, but now i think:

"Won't the cosmetic items just encourage people to play other hero?"

Maybe now a guy will play a hero just because he like's the cosmetic item's maded for him.

radioactivfishy
06-01-2012, 02:29 AM
probably not worth starting a thread over, but i'm a bit concerned that people will only play heroes they have items for, instead of picking ones that will help the team etc.

Err.. I think the effect on me (and probably majority of other players here too) is the exact opposite of what you're saying.

You see, I never played Bloodseeker ever since I got into the beta. But then came this item drop that I found after the game which is a cosmetic for him.

Suddenly it made me want to try him out on the next game and realize how badass he looks. xD

idntcr
06-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Err.. I think the effect on me (and probably majority of other players here too) is the exact opposite of what you're saying.

You see, I never played Bloodseeker ever since I got into the beta. But then came this item drop that I found after the game which is a cosmetic for him.

Suddenly it made me want to try him out on the next game and realize how badass he looks. xD

+1, same.

Kakee
06-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Not really. Unless they obsessively collect every item there is for Furion. But these obsessive Nature Profit players already exists, so I doubt cosmetics have much to do with that.

Malvodion
06-01-2012, 03:17 AM
As people has said before, while there is people who will probably play a hero that got an item they own, there is other people who will also try heroes they didn't use before/didn't use that much because they got something for them from the drop system.

Slash
06-01-2012, 03:27 AM
at first, yes... but then youll get bored of playing the same hero for 2-3 games and you will pick another one, and the ppl that already play only 1 hero, well nothing :B

VoDomino
06-01-2012, 09:06 AM
what if you unlock something cosmetic for another hero? it doesnt mean that you would be forced to play one hero only. the only way youd only get items for one hero is if you bought it. I think youre forgetting you can unlock some stuff naturally and that can go for any hero. I never play Natures Prophet [just not my play style] and already unlocked a few items for him and Axe. I think it would rather encourage you to try some other heros to a degree.