PDA

View Full Version : Disable/Enable Custom-Looking

Mawi
06-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Hello guys,

I'm playing DotA 2 for months now but the last update didn't really get me excited. The reason is I don't want to see custom items on heroes made by random people. I don't want to see the lore get broken. I want to play Axe with his own axe, not some other people's axe. So basically what I offer is that there should be some kind of option that helps us to enable/disable the custom-looking. So the people who hesitated the update may disable the custom-looking.

Please vote if The Dev Team should add some option like this and remember to comment to keep the topic up to date. Thank you for your opinion.

portland
06-01-2012, 01:16 AM
+1

WhaZZa
06-01-2012, 01:17 AM
If you want to play Axe with his own axe, then play him with his own axe. Don't equip the items. Even better, send them to me!

vladhood
06-01-2012, 01:17 AM
nobody is forcing you to use items on axe lol

MaxBeoulve
06-01-2012, 01:20 AM
It was already voted and discussed. I see your point and I agree with it, but it isnt profitable to the company, and as such, will not be implemented. Wait when someone release a mod that allows you to turn off. I don't want to see Dota 2 turned into a cosmetic monster like HoN, but probably will be inevitable. Warcraft III, I welcome you again.

Mawi
06-01-2012, 01:23 AM
nobody is forcing you to use items on axe lol

But the other players force me to see the Axe with a different axe when they are playing the Axe. So I want to disable it from the options. :)

m4rx
06-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Hello guys,

I'm playing DotA 2 for months now but the last update didn't really get me excited. The reason is I don't want to see custom items on heroes made by random people. I don't want to see the lore get broken. I want to play Axe with his own axe, not some other people's axe. So basically what I offer is that there should be some kind of option that helps us to enable/disable the custom-looking. So the people who hesitated the update may disable the custom-looking.

Please vote if The Dev Team should add some option like this and remember to comment to keep the topic up to date. Thank you for your opinion.

It was already voted and discussed. I see your point and I agree with it, put it isnt profitable to the company, and as such, will not be implemented. Wait when someone release a mod that allows you to turn off. I don't want to see Dota 2 turned into a cosmetic monster like HoN, but probably will be inevitable. Warcraft III, I welcome you again.

Majority people like want see custom items other people used. That's useless and make funless to use option disable that feature. I hope you understand its only about visual and not effect to gameplay. I want you should focused to give feedback only about better gameplay without hate new any changes...

I hope you should keep learn to adapt new things....

Mawi
06-01-2012, 02:47 AM
You people are so agressive and don't really respect other's opinions. You can't tell me what to do man. This is my opinion, and I can open a topic about it since the developers want to hear what we think. I'm offering something good for BOTH sides. We are not hating anything, it is just we don't want to see this feature in game.

I hope you learn to be more friendly. Thank you.

vladhood
06-01-2012, 02:47 AM
if you don't want people to disagree with you then send your feedback directly to the dota 2 team instead of posting it on the forum.

Mawi
06-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Of course they can disagree, that's why I made a poll option. But they can be a little more friendly and respective, don't you think so? :)

radioactivfishy
06-01-2012, 03:23 AM
But the other players force me to see the Axe with a different axe when they are playing the Axe. So I want to disable it from the options. :)

Axe's axe cannot be just an axe for Axe made by a fan of Axe. We want our Axe to have his original axe and not a random axe which doesn't look like Axe's axe.
So +1.

AXEception...

Apolladan
06-01-2012, 03:40 AM
I think it should be optional, kind of like minmodels in CS 1.6. You can't have a competitive game be taken seriously if models can't be forced.

qerten
06-01-2012, 03:42 AM
no

zinus
06-01-2012, 03:48 AM
I would say yes, but as a private server option. There shouldnt be a real problem in pub games, as they are ... well pub games and are supposed to be fun and all that stuff... Although im a bit worried with the lore and visuals of some things... like there is a freaking hammer for axe... AXE!!! ... so ye, its a bit risky but it can turn out well.

So once again i say i would like it as an option for private server/room
edit: oh yes and for spectator mode!!!

MrX
06-01-2012, 04:00 AM
It should be an option for those who dont want to see them, but you SHOULD see the custom stuff by default.

andzero
06-01-2012, 04:13 AM
It should be an option for those who dont want to see them, but you SHOULD see the custom stuff by default.

I hope this happens.

Backlash
06-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Id agree simply for the fear that Valve would use the "community" as a scapegoat to add ridiculous stuff to this game just because some of the "community" upvote it and they can make cash off it. I really have nothing against non p2w cashshops that dont sell power either directly or via gambling so Id probably have it on anyways as long as it didnt get really awful. Honestly though if that ends up happening and the game ends up a really bad cosmetic vomit joke I probably couldnt stomach it much to play that often anyways and id definitly be done with Valve and Steam, not to mention disappointed as hell in Ice. Would be nice just to see the original heros once and a while since I doubt youll see them much after its been out a while and everyones using items.

Ergo
06-01-2012, 04:33 AM
ofc there SHOULD be such an option. It's because of the horrid s2 heroes and the garbage kid fest HoN has become (imagine pudge with a clown outfit, riki with a teenager sportsuit, Spirit breaker as a fucking rainbowing unicorn etc etc) that I lost my interest in that game. I'm already hating these brood's metalic legs crap or that totaly ludicrous ursa stuff.
At the end, I simply want the game to keep this epic and pure feeling. I don't have to waste 30 bucks on some useless Furion skin to keep having fun playing the game, sorry kids.

m4rx
06-01-2012, 04:50 AM
You people are so agressive and don't really respect other's opinions. You can't tell me what to do man. This is my opinion, and I can open a topic about it since the developers want to hear what we think. I'm offering something good for BOTH sides. We are not hating anything, it is just we don't want to see this feature in game.

I hope you learn to be more friendly. Thank you.
Sorry for my agressive...
I think disable/enable custom items option will make disrespect for custom items creator and don't like that's feature. My solution only you should read part of FAQ (http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/faq) below:

Q: If fans are creating content via Steam Workshop, how will you ensure it fits the theme of a hero/game?
A: We're acutely aware of the community's concerns around remaining true to the theme of the game, so much so that we think the community should be directly involved in the process of choosing what goes into it. The Steam Workshop allows you to submit your votes and thoughts on contributed items before we make any decision to put them into the game, so jump in and help us stay on the right track. We think the community at large is actually really good at making these kinds of decisions.

Dota 2 Store still in BETA now and that's meaning you should give a constructive feedback without add disable/enable custom items option....

zinus
06-01-2012, 05:10 AM
I don't think that an option like that would be a kind of disrespect to them, in the end they do get the money and thats more important than respect :P.Also, most of the people would prefer using the items anyway, but there should be an option for those who simply do not like that stuff.

I played a hella lot of TF2 and i don't usualy mind all the items (although the new ones are pretty much out of sync with the aestetichs), but its really refreshing when i join a server with all items banned.

Also the items might seem okay at first, but as the number grows it will become redicilous at some point. That doesn't mean that the game will be unplayable, but an otion to make the game look "vanila" would benefit the game at that point (imagine a newby trying to learn the game, we already have lots of heroes, having almost different models for each of them wont help.)

There should definately be an option to turn items off in private rooms/spectator mode (pro play; when i watch a replay i want it to be clean and easy to watch)
Though the more i think about it i would like the option in pub games too. I would probably use the items myself, but it would be nice to strip it abck to vanila once in a while.

edit: want enable/disable custom item option is a valid feedback. If somebody wants something, then it means that maybe more people want it too, and if people want something maybe it is a good idea to at least check it out :3

callizer
06-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Then what is the point of buying those items if no one sees it? It's just cosmetic anyway and disabling these stuff will discourage players to buy stuff from the store. When this happens, there is no income from Dota 2 and the development will be in peril.

bluerebel
06-01-2012, 05:27 AM
I don't really mind these new cosmetic items but you should take into consideration that this is a competitive game. Valve isn't lying when they say that these items are purely cosmetic and will not affect gameplay. True as this may be, it is still true that such cosmetic items will affect Playability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay#Overview_2).

TL: DWTR
Valve should add the option to see custom items server side (other player's items), client side(your items on your hero and other player's heroes), or just turn them off.

As a competitive game, some people will want to customize the way they play. Most change their key bindings, some people turn down texture quality, others turn off the music so as to rely on the voices. Some people rely on certain animation twitches, whereas other people rely on that single glance of the enemy Windrunner's cape popping up on the corner of the screen before deciding to gank. (Google "Windrunner Cosmetic Cape (http://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Dota2_WRCosmetic04-600x375.jpg)") You will notice that these small changes will be subjective to the player most of the time.

Placing an OFF SWITCH on cosmetic items may be counter-intuitive to Valve's F2P model, but it isn't. I believe that it is the first step to a solution that could save Dota 2 from the outcome that several players relate with TF2 as tragic.

----------------------
Put it this way
---------------------
Separate the community into two:
Group A. The cosmetic players and
Group B. The non-cosmetic players

Group A is a group that purchases items from the Dota 2 store for some of the following reasons
1. The first being that Group A wants to get their hero a new look.
2. The second being that Group A wants other players to see their hero differently.
3. The last being that Group A is open to seeing customized heroes.

Group B on the other hand is a group that does not want to see items for 1 sole reason.
1. The first being they prefer seeing the original hero.

----------------------
Now imagine these scenarios.
---------------------

GROUP A ACTIONS
Action:
Group A members purchase cosmetics for the first reason.
Reaction:
Group A members use this as a method in which they ease up the playability of the game.
Group A members are satisfied.

Action:
Group A members purchase cosmetics for the second reason.
Reaction:
Group A members react and use the new hero look as a means of interaction, thus pleasing Group A members.
Group A members however are also free to use this as a form of attack against the playability of the game against Group B members.
Group B members are attacked.

Action:
Group A members purchase cosmetics for the third reason.
Reaction:
Group A members are flexible

GROUP B ACTIONS
Action:
Group B members turn off seeing custom items.
Reaction:
Group B no longer sees custom content and is able to play in the conditions they deem optimal.
Group B members are satisfied.

Action:
Group B members turn off seeing custom items.
Reaction:
Group A tries to interact with Group B regarding their PURCHASED cosmetic item
Group B cannot see said cosmetic item.
Group A members are offended and regret purchasing items.
Group B members are satisfied.

---------------------
My Point?
---------------------
Valve's forcing custom content to be seen by every player is short-sighted solution that aims to satisfy and reinforce the motivation of Group A members to purchase in-game content in order to maintain the game's F2P status, as well as market the Source engine's flexibility.

If Valve wants to maintain the F2P status of the game for the sole purpose of maintaining a high player-base (leading to exposure, profit, etc) then the solution shouldn't be forced. The player base can be raised by creating a third Group of players I deem as Group C. Group C is the middle ground of Group A and Group B. They purchase custom items not to attack the other players, but to make the game more satisfying and easier to learn for themselves. (EG. AH I LIKE THIS RED WINDRUNNER BETTER BECAUSE I CAN SEE HER AMONGST THE SEA OF GREEN RADIANT MELEE CREEPS.)

If Group C is created, they will purchase cosmetics for the following reasons:
1. The first being to customize their heroes to be pleasing aesthetically.
2. The second being, to make the game easier to learn.

And the only way to do this is to allow the players to see what THEY want, on the heroes THEY choose.

---------------------
RESULTS
---------------------
Say Valve forced cosmetics, then you'd have:
Group A and Group B.

Group A knows a set of heroes.
Group A will most likely purchase items for said set of heroes
Group A generates limited profit from the store.
Group A will attract other players into the game.

Group B would not generate profit from the store.
Group B may get sick of custom items and leave the game.
Group B will attract other players into the game for a short period of time.

Add the option to customize the way you see heroes client side and you create Group C. Then you'd have:

Group A generating profit from their heroes.
Group A attracting other players into the game.

Group B staying for a longer period of time.
Group B attracting other players into the game.

Group C wanting to customize personal heroes, as well as those they fight against or play with.
Group C attracting other players into the game.

---------------------
CONCLUSION
---------------------
I believe that the Off switch is the first step towards the ultimate solution, Customization. Give your fans what they want. The foreseeable downsides to this solution include letting down people who customize their heroes for the sake of showing off to others, the lost profit from such players, as well as the potential strategic value of forced cosmetics in-game. (An attribute that I believe Dota 2 should not have.)

These are my 2 cents, take them or leave 'em. I wrote em over dinner so I hope you'll forgive any grammatical errors.

zinus
06-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Then what is the point of buying those items if no one sees it? It's just cosmetic anyway and disabling these stuff will discourage players to buy stuff from the store. When this happens, there is no income from Dota 2 and the development will be in peril.

Cause i want my sven to have an awesome cape :O
i could care less if anyone can see it or not.

But yeh, thats why there isn't such an option (although it is debatable, and as far as i know, noone has any data to either confirm or disclaim that. So anything we say is pretty much speculation).
So at least a compromise to disable it on custom room/spectator would be nice. That way players stil can show off, those who dont like it can make private games and watching games would be much more pleasing without the random stuff.

qerten
06-01-2012, 05:32 AM
no switch OFF will be, deal with it.. you just trolling around

BiRo
06-01-2012, 05:33 AM

Bashtime
06-01-2012, 05:35 AM
I like to see it always but maybe there will be a time I want to turn custom skins off. So a option to disable cosmetics makes sense.

Terrafros
06-01-2012, 05:38 AM
There's no reason for cosmetics to be disabled. People can already mod their clients to make their characters appear as they want to. So, to give an example, people could make it appear so that on their client their heroes appear like they're wearing shop items. If others cannot see your heroes' items, then the entire store is pointless(because you can already rig it to make it look how you want without paying Valve a single cent.

Besides, there'll likely be an option to disable it in private games, just not matchmaking.

bluerebel
06-01-2012, 05:41 AM
no switch OFF will be, deal with it.. you just trolling around

Providing player feedback isn't trolling around, it's an important part of beta testing and game development. Besides, the mere fact that this poll holds an almost 50/50 opinion towards forced cosmetics (38/35 at the time of posting) proves that the community has mixed feelings about them. Something must be done.

JMPayne
06-01-2012, 05:41 AM
6.74c is looking more appealing right about now. Gabe has turned this game into another fucking hat simulator with no ability or paid feature to disable them. His avarice has fueled this bullshit and he spews his toxic cosmetic trash in his wake. Notice how they are always evading the questions regarding cosmetic toggling. If you don't buy their cosmetics, they don't give a fuck about you or anything you have to say.

bluerebel
06-01-2012, 05:42 AM
6.74c is looking more appealing right about now.

I know how you feel, I've already dug up my old Frozen Throne cd.

Ergo
06-01-2012, 05:51 AM
6.74c is looking more appealing right about now. Gabe has turned this game into another fucking hat simulator with no ability or paid feature to disable them. His avarice has fueled this bullshit and he spews his toxic cosmetic trash in his wake. Notice how they are always evading the questions regarding cosmetic toggling. If you don't buy their cosmetics, they don't give a fuck about you or anything you have to say.

qft.

m4rx
06-01-2012, 05:54 AM
I don't think that an option like that would be a kind of disrespect to them, in the end they do get the money and thats more important than respect :P.Also, most of the people would prefer using the items anyway, but there should be an option for those who simply do not like that stuff.

I played a hella lot of TF2 and i don't usualy mind all the items (although the new ones are pretty much out of sync with the aestetichs), but its really refreshing when i join a server with all items banned.

Also the items might seem okay at first, but as the number grows it will become redicilous at some point. That doesn't mean that the game will be unplayable, but an otion to make the game look "vanila" would benefit the game at that point (imagine a newby trying to learn the game, we already have lots of heroes, having almost different models for each of them wont help.)

There should definately be an option to turn items off in private rooms/spectator mode (pro play; when i watch a replay i want it to be clean and easy to watch)
Though the more i think about it i would like the option in pub games too. I would probably use the items myself, but it would be nice to strip it abck to vanila once in a while.

edit: want enable/disable custom item option is a valid feedback. If somebody wants something, then it means that maybe more people want it too, and if people want something maybe it is a good idea to at least check it out :3

For temporary before Dota 2 become final version maybe want enable/disable custom item option is not useful to make better gameplay without constructive feedback because some people will disable thats custom items before play....
I think Custom Items is decent problem for DOTA 2 than matchmaking systems...

JMPayne
06-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Of course VALVe will never address this. Ever.

callizer
06-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Cause i want my sven to have an awesome cape :O
i could care less if anyone can see it or not.

But yeh, thats why there isn't such an option (although it is debatable, and as far as i know, noone has any data to either confirm or disclaim that. So anything we say is pretty much speculation).
So at least a compromise to disable it on custom room/spectator would be nice. That way players stil can show off, those who dont like it can make private games and watching games would be much more pleasing without the random stuff.

Most people buy fancy clothes because they want to show it to other people, they don't give a f**k about appearance when nobody sees it, therefore wearing pajamas in home. While this may be not the case for some people, it is however the truth for the majority of people. Therefore, I believe disabling it in matchmaking games will do harm to Valve.

Being able to enable/disable it in private games is okay, but not for matchmaking games.

JMPayne
06-01-2012, 06:36 AM
As someone that has played thousands of games of DotA and nearly a thousand in DOTA2, I do not like the way the VALVe is leading this game. Cosmetics. Cool. This will fund TI3,4,6,7... and will allegedly stick to the lore of the hero (you know, like Alpine Stalker does), until such a time passes that the items devolve into a huge cluster-fuck like clowns to a circus, as what happened to TF2. Despite that, I don't want to fucking see them. Ever. I will pay not the see them. VALVe is slapping me right in the fucking face with their moneybags and not even giving the community the courtesy to address the future ability/feature (whether paid or free) to disable cosmetics. I guess that all those hundreds of games I bought through Steam amount to me still being a sub-human piece of shit in VALVe's eyes, since I am obviously nobody and don't warrant response. Dotalicious, here I come.

vladhood
06-01-2012, 06:39 AM
if youve played thousands of games of dota, how is it possible that you dont know how to properly capitalize the acronym?

deeqfinch
06-01-2012, 06:39 AM
just played a game with drow in opposite with frost spikes . I MEAN WTF !#%@!Q . cmon :| . such a beautifully designed character down in the trash......... this is not customization . this is pathetic-isation (yea troll on this word creation).
if it was upto me i would change windrunner ( who is my personal favorite) BUT !!!!!!!!!!! i accept her as the way game default model. so im not being a hypocrite . cosmetic customization (again ursa hat, drow spikes ) is bad in dota2. please disable it , if not remove entirely

fibbs
06-01-2012, 06:44 AM
I think it should be optional, kind of like minmodels in CS 1.6. You can't have a competitive game be taken seriously if models can't be forced.

qft

m4rx
06-01-2012, 06:58 AM
please disable it , if not remove entirely
Thats negative constructive feedback...
nobody want play more again because don't have more motivation....
You should shut up bcause act like kid...

dragstor
06-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Just add an option in the settings to activate or deactivate custom skins. Or just toggle it like in counterstrike (cl_minmodels)

bluerebel
06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
just played a game with drow in opposite with frost spikes . I MEAN WTF !#%@!Q . cmon :| . such a beautifully designed character down in the trash......... this is not customization . this is pathetic-isation (yea troll on this word creation).
if it was upto me i would change windrunner ( who is my personal favorite) BUT !!!!!!!!!!! i accept her as the way game default model. so im not being a hypocrite . cosmetic customization (again ursa hat, drow spikes ) is bad in dota2. please disable it , if not remove entirely

I wouldn't remove it entirely. In fact I would want to try out an item or two from the store. But I would still be hoping that the forced content would last only until the end of beta testing so that Valve can test the stress computers go through when optional models are loaded onto the computer.

I still think a disable button in the options menu is best. I mean, DROW WITH SPIKEY HAIR!? Drow is my favorite character, and forcing me to stare at that Frost spike beast would be torture. At best, it would only motivate me to kill her more.

Besides, I wouldn't want weekly updates to Dota 2, causing it to hog up more space than what my already full HD can take. Imagine having to house 1 gb of unwanted player models on your Hard Disk. UNWANTED MODELS. I miss the days when you could safely mod your game with custom models downloaded from fpsbanana.

JMPayne
06-01-2012, 08:20 AM
I just wish we had an official response from someone on the DOTA2 team, preferably Gaben

Mawi
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't remove it entirely. In fact I would want to try out an item or two from the store. But I would still be hoping that the forced content would last only until the end of beta testing so that Valve can test the stress computers go through when optional models are loaded onto the computer.

I still think a disable button in the options menu is best. I mean, DROW WITH SPIKEY HAIR!? Drow is my favorite character, and forcing me to stare at that Frost spike beast would be torture. At best, it would only motivate me to kill her more.

Besides, I wouldn't want weekly updates to Dota 2, causing it to hog up more space than what my already full HD can take. Imagine having to house 1 gb of unwanted player models on your Hard Disk. UNWANTED MODELS. I miss the days when you could safely mod your game with custom models downloaded from fpsbanana.

Well said my friend, really well said.

Phoenixclaw
07-27-2013, 04:11 AM
+1000

N1ckst4r2
07-28-2013, 03:34 AM
1) Most people like/want to see their cosmetics in game

2) It is extremelly ineffecient to do business this way where promotion and advertisement is prime source of sales. If you do not like cosmetics simply go ahead and do some research on how to mod and make a mod that allows you to see everything in vanilla. Most of us like dem hatz and shoes.

This will never happen since it directly affects the sales.

Peace

N1ckst4r2
07-28-2013, 03:50 AM
I agree with you but you do realise that Majority of the cosmetics in HOn were designed by S2 themselves and not the community.

Dota 2 workshop has very strict guideless on how to design cosmetics. One of its rules implies " Stays true to its core/lore " which is why we do not see out of order stuff like we do in LOL or HON

nacenacenace
07-28-2013, 01:08 PM
1) So buy your fucking pixels. You can see it 100% of the time. Do you want to shove announcers/HUDs onto players too?

2) Yeah because compendium/tickets are selling sooooo poorly.