PDA

View Full Version : Please don't allow stupid items and customizations into the game.

portland
06-01-2012, 01:19 AM
I can't play TF2 any longer because of what it's become. It's no longer an interesting and clever take on a 60s aesthetic with a really cool idea of team-based combat behind it... it's a fucking costume party with everyone running around shooting lasers at each other and doing dumb garbage.

Please don't let this happen to DotA 2. I really liked everything about the game up until this point.

Please don't ruin DotA 2 for hats. Charge me $50. Charge me $60. BUT PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME SUBJECT TO ANOTHER AWFUL ITEM WHORING GAME. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT TO ME. PLEASE DON'T RUIN DotA 2. PLEASE.

PLEASE VALVE.

PLEASE DON'T RUIN THIS GAME.

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

rasielll
06-01-2012, 01:37 AM
First step to this - "Alpine suit" (or whatever its named) for ursa. Other items are great.

deeqfinch
06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
+1 to both the posts.
things might look decent . but this is ridiculous .
alpine suit ursa will look pathetic . i dont care if he is owning me from opposite team or feeding from my team . he will just look bad.
customisation tends to suck!!

LaBrosse
06-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Delicious tears!

m4rx
06-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Kids Read Article. I have played dota from dota 1 till dota 2, I don't have problem with valve about implementation Dota 2 Store and Steam Workshop. I like this because have more motivation to play more again with my creation custom items. I don't like Valve to add disable custom items option because some disrespects to custom items creator.
Majority TF2 Pro Players like steam trading features too, if you don't believe you should check Steam Stats, how many people play TF2 today...
I think you before start a new thread don't read FAQ (http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/faq) what purpose from Dota 2 Store and Steam Workshop
I hope moderators please close this thread because always get multiple threads like this with invalid arguments.

Greenhorn
06-01-2012, 01:51 AM
+1 Don't ruin the game please... like tf2...

vladhood
06-01-2012, 01:55 AM
as soon as the store went up i bought the fires of exort invoker pieces and the stumpy courier, to both show my support for valve and because they're awesome. thoughts?

LaBrosse
06-01-2012, 01:59 AM
as soon as the store went up i bought the fires of exort invoker pieces and the stumpy courier, to both show my support for valve and because they're awesome. thoughts?

This is how Valve recuperates from their financial losses after pouring millions into game development and tournaments.

ARTS/MOBA games should never be pay-to-play; look at what happened to the one game that did (hint: poor S2).

portland
06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
This is how Valve recuperates from their financial losses after pouring millions into game development and tournaments.

ARTS/MOBA games should never be pay-to-play; look at what happened to the one game that did (hint: poor S2).

DotA 1 (I think it was a really small game no one has heard of or something, didn't even get a sequel) was pay to play.

LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO IT.

IceSoul
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
learn to read pls..

who said that? lololololololololololololololol

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
those "Stupid" items are not in the game, they are only in the workshop for now, if you are against them go t-down, and if alot of people t-down they won't see the light of day.

DotA 1 (I think it was a really small game no one has heard of or something, didn't even get a sequel) was pay to play.

LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO IT.

you didn't pay to play dota, you bought wc3, totally different.

The Chosen One
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
+1 to the first 3 posts. I don't mind cosmetic items (as long as people don't continue to just only pick 1 hero they got an item for) but it shouldn't go to far. Maybe an option to disable them and just see only normal stuff? Or non-workshop?

portland
06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
those "Stupid" items are not in the game, they are only in the workshop for now, if you are against them go t-down, and if alot of people t-down they won't see the light of day.

So the players are expected to continually go to the workshop and t-down everything they dislike on a regular basis so that nothing idiotic gets into the game?

I don't want to play content police for DotA 2.

Furthermore, I don't think Valve realises how large of a problem these customizations are. Do they really think pro players will be attracted to a game with a level of absurdity so high the game has become a joke? Do they think anyone but the worst players will stick around for it? People don't like DotA 1 because of the Hats it has. They like it for the game. Moreover, while I can't say it's true for everyone, I play with a group of 5 people, myself included, we're all thinking about going to another game because of how stupid the customizations are.

It would have been fine if Valve were in control of them, and make them as variations on a theme. But they decided to make it a goddamn costume party.

I'm going to quit DotA 2, just like I quit TF2, when the items start getting too stupid and out-of-place. And it looks like we're getting pretty close already.

I can't even begin to voice my frustrations on how annoyed I am that the game is going to be ruined in this way, because I REALLY LIKED DotA 2. I really did. And now I'm finding that this game I fell in love with is going to be crap now.

It's a damn shame.

Ustat Rex
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Why r u mad about the items if r only 4 cosmetic uses? if u don't like, well, don't use them and do something more productive, maybe trade 4 games? please guys, items and trade open a gate to everybody to get more stuff absolutely FREE.

And of course, is a method to recover some money, but pay attention, if it works like tf2, the money 4 the community items purchased goes to the dev's item

Makal
06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Although I don't like some costumes too (e.g. cowboy ursa), I think it is a small price to pay for a greater revenue to Valve.

This kind of business model also let the player base get involved in the creation of content, which is great, so we can see some nice costumes out there. It will also let more players come to Dota 2, since it is REALLY F2P, with full features and heroes.

Dota will probably be here for a long time, and Valve will need a constant revenue to keep upgrading the game, hosting championships and paying all the infrastructure to make the game work. Thinking about the future of this game, I really like the business model adopted here, since it will keep the doors opened, the money flowing and new content will keep being added, both from Valve and the player base.

Sure, some of the costumes are silly, but I can get over it when I weight the pros and cons.

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
So the players are expected to continually go to the workshop and t-down everything they dislike on a regular basis so that nothing idiotic gets into the game?

I don't want to play content police for DotA 2.

Furthermore, I don't think Valve realises how large of a problem these customizations are. Do they really think pro players will be attracted to a game with a level of absurdity so high the game has become a joke? Do they think anyone but the worst players will stick around for it? People don't like DotA 1 because of the Hats it has. They like it for the game. Moreover, while I can't say it's true for everyone, I play with a group of 5 people, myself included, we're all thinking about going to another game because of how stupid the customizations are.

It would have been fine if Valve were in control of them, and make them as variations on a theme. But they decided to make it a goddamn costume party.

I'm going to quit DotA 2, just like I quit TF2, when the items start getting too stupid and out-of-place. And it looks like we're getting pretty close already.

I can't even begin to voice my frustrations on how annoyed I am that the game is going to be ruined in this way, because I REALLY LIKED DotA 2. I really did. And now I'm finding that this game I fell in love with is going to be crap now.

It's a damn shame.

do you have any idea of the stuff you are saying?

first of all you are treating valve as if they are idiots, they make a game called tf2 that they never took serious and want people to have fun with it and make a bunch of crazy stuff for the game, and then they make dota 2, a game that they are aware that must stay serious and competitive, but a little fun never hurt anyone. You going to the workshop is a good contribution but that doesn't mean you have to go there all the time, they are aware of what is too absurd for the game and what isn't, you seriously think they are gona add EVERYTHING in the workshop? not a 1/10 of what's in the tf2 workshop is in the game.

And you actually think competitive players are gonna leave the game because it add a feature that doesn't affect the game balance whatsoever? you must be smoking something rotten, these cosmetics are not ruining the game, they are just a little way of you having the freedom of customising the hero your own way.

If you hate it then just quit then, do it and stop QQing

Shibubu
06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
So you loved this game, but were not up to doing something to make it better (referring to your "I don't want to play content police for Dota 2"). Makes me want to laugh at "fans" like that. "First I'm gonna whine that YOU ruined my game. Not gonna do anything myself about it though. And then I'm gonna leave!"

I think you should reconsider your priorities. As of now, you sound like a selfish basterd, who wants a whole game for himself. How long do you think DotA2 would last with a pay2play model? How long do you think VALVe could keep up their servers running with no income? Not to mention funding tournaments. Or keep on rolling out updates to the game.

To me, you just sound like a whiny little bitch who fails to see the bigger picture. Work for your game. Be happy you don't have to pay for heroes or buy items with stats, you ungrateful crybaby.

portland
06-01-2012, 01:59 PM
So you loved this game, but were not up to doing something to make it better (referring to your "I don't want to play content police for Dota 2"). Makes me want to laugh at "fans" like that. "First I'm gonna whine that YOU ruined my game. Not gonna do anything myself about it though. And then I'm gonna leave!"

I think you should reconsider your priorities. As of now, you sound like a selfish basterd, who wants a whole game for himself. How long do you think DotA2 would last with a pay2play model? How long do you think VALVe could keep up their servers running with no income? Not to mention funding tournaments. Or keep on rolling out updates to the game.

To me, you just sound like a whiny little bitch who fails to see the bigger picture. Work for your game. Be happy you don't have to pay for heroes or buy items with stats, you ungrateful crybaby.

I remember when I just had to pay for a game and then I got to play it without other people fucking it up. I'm all about paying $50 or $60 for DotA 2. I'm not all about shitty and poorly done customizations.

And for what it's worth I've voted on every item in the workshop. I'm not willing to keep doing that when there are thousands of items because it takes too long. One can't simply t-down or t-up an item from the list view, you have to go to the actual item, which takes far too long in steam. And then you have to go back to the list view, which takes equally long. I don't have infinite amounts of time to spend making sure I voted in all of the right ways on every item, many of which are just in the game anyway without anyone getting a chance to vote. (For instance, the awful Tidehunter items and the equally terrible Drow items)

Aside from that, you have a poor attitude.

do you have any idea of the stuff you are saying?

first of all you are treating valve as if they are idiots, they make a game called tf2 that they never took serious and want people to have fun with it and make a bunch of crazy stuff for the game, and then they make dota 2, a game that they are aware that must stay serious and competitive, but a little fun never hurt anyone. You going to the workshop is a good contribution but that doesn't mean you have to go there all the time, they are aware of what is too absurd for the game and what isn't, you seriously think they are gona add EVERYTHING in the workshop? not a 1/10 of what's in the tf2 workshop is in the game.

And you actually think competitive players are gonna leave the game because it add a feature that doesn't affect the game balance whatsoever? you must be smoking something rotten, these cosmetics are not ruining the game, they are just a little way of you having the freedom of customising the hero your own way.

Most of the stuff that got submitted to the workshop is already available in-game to buy. The update that added the customizations is only a day or two old, and they ALREADY have the items in the game. I never got to vote on most of them. I don't like most of them.

And you don't know competitive players. They're fairly likely to leave the game over a lack of serious development. It's a real concern because if the game isn't taken seriously by the developer, it only bodes poorly for the future of it. Why do you think people who play sc1 as pros aren't switching to sc2?

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Don't compare sc2 to Dota2, sc2 sucked because of actual gameplay, not because of cosmetics (which don't even exist) I bought Wings of Liberty and it was the worst 60 bucks of my life, at least if dota2 ever dissapointed I didn't waste 60 bucks on it.

Now don't compare sc2 players refusing to play bad game to dota players refusing to play a game with a different fucking beltbuckle on a hero.

den_hemske
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM

It's a damn shame.

Good for you. Now leave.
I do not know what items ever did to you to deserve so much hate from you.

Aside from that, you have a poor attitude.

HE is the one with a poor attitude? Really, now.

You also claim that you love the game, but you will quit just because we've got some fun items to customize our heroes with? Sounds to me that you just "loved" the game because it was popular, and now you are riding the waves of the hate ocean.
And secondly, none of your arguments is stating anything with any facts in it, and most of all it is just pointless, hating and personal opinions about items.

Makal
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
And you don't know competitive players. They're fairly likely to leave the game over a lack of serious development. It's a real concern because if the game isn't taken seriously by the developer, it only bodes poorly for the future of it. Why do you think people who play sc1 as pros aren't switching to sc2?

"Lack of serious development"? The competitive players will NOT train with you and me. If Dendi decides to use a costume, so be it. They will be paying attention to gameplay changes, to new heroes, and not to costumes.

Shibubu
06-01-2012, 02:11 PM
And yet you are still ignoring the facts that support a longer life expectancy for DotA2. You sound just like a religious person, who doesn't want to hear anything that denies his beliefs.

WORKSHOP: You needn't go through ALL OFF the workshop uploads. Pressing a "Top rated" button you can look through the most popular ones. Nobody cares about those which are at the bottom. Overreacting is what you're good at. Stop this drama already. There are way more advantages to this.

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I can't believe this guy is that moronic, he has to be "trolling"

Timbonator
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I am afraid that Dota 2 will turn into an TF2. Actually I'm pretty sure. Valve doesn't care, they just want money, by any means necessary.

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I am afraid that Dota 2 will turn into an TF2. Actually I'm pretty sure. Valve doesn't care, they just want money, by any means necessary.

you don't know anything of valve, you don't have the slightest clue

Timbonator
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
you don't know anything of valve, you don't have the slightest clue

How do you know? You don't know anything about me.

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
How do you know? You don't know anything about me.

please explain how valve only cares about money then

MrX
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
ok so u dont want a moba where heros are free of charge and theres no stat items or anything but just cosmetic items? yaaa.... I'm pretty sure ur just dont understand how good this system is, it enables a f2p game where U DONT HAVE TO UNLOCK STUFF, that is fing amazing, please stop being dumb, only thing I'll say is that there should be an option to disable all cosmetic stuff in game(1 for everyone and 1 for everyone besides urself and a specific person only ingame incase he has some really annoying item) so that if people find some specific thing annoying they can disable it.

also rather important for pro scene if some specific outfit or watever makes something too hard to see or watev.

Shibubu
06-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Did you forget about the bullshit EA or SquereEnix is putting their customers through? You truly are beyond repair if you dare putting VALVe at the same level as those two.
I don't even think you would be able to comprehend the amount of money VALVe has already spent during the development of DotA. And since now, they did not get any profit out of it. While the likes of EA would have sold you heroes in on-disk DLCs with a ton of bugs. Just get out of this forum. This community would do fine without you.

Tuxew
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
One month ago, i bought a new computer with capacity to play dota 2. I really didn't imagine that would happen. I repeat: There are so many pretty customizes very cool, compatibles with their heroes, but this is a little part. Almost all then (itens) will finish with originality of the game.
Please, The heroes designs are perfects how really they are. Donīt crash the game... Think about it... In the future, dota 2 can become a party of punks, rockstars, etc.
That is not really cool.
Sorry for my english.

nicoman
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Too late we already have Lady Gaga Drow Ranger, then theres The Axecutioner, ontop of that tide with shit on his head, and a lime green covered void. So we are screwed DOTA 2 is officially a joke.

crabsmack
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
What the hell is wrong with this thread?

A guy presents an opposing side and immediately we receive such lovely responses as this;

Good for you. Now leave.

And yet you are still ignoring the facts that support a longer life expectancy for DotA2. You sound just like a religious person, who doesn't want to hear anything that denies his beliefs.

I can't believe this guy is that moronic, he has to be "trolling"

Just get out of this forum. This community would do fine without you.

Really? If you want to argue for your side, you could start by behaving like a goddamn adult.

Timbonator
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
please explain how valve only cares about money then

Because it is a profit-organisation, they are no charity. This means that they will do everything to make the most money. If they can do that by copying Dota 1, they will copy Dota 1. If they can do that by making an ingame store, they will make an ingame store. It's easy as pie.

happyleaf
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I just want the option to disable the customizable items, then i'll be happy and you can wear all that custom equipment

Nekros
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
They will do anything to make money without alienating the community which they've already built so much trust on. You are fuckin insane if u think Valve is this cutthroat. Valve cares and listens to it's community and gives it what they want which is far more than what many developers are willing to do nowadays.

Timbonator
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Did you forget about the bullshit EA or SquereEnix is putting their customers through? You truly are beyond repair if you dare putting VALVe at the same level as those two.
I don't even think you would be able to comprehend the amount of money VALVe has already spent during the development of DotA. And since now, they did not get any profit out of it. While the likes of EA would have sold you heroes in on-disk DLCs with a ton of bugs. Just get out of this forum. This community would do fine without you.

I'm sorry, could you please link me to the part where I dared putting Valve at the same level as EA or SquereEnix? Thanks in advance.

Banethulhu
06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Because it is a profit-organisation, they are no charity. This means that they will do everything to make the most money. If they can do that by copying Dota 1, they will copy Dota 1. If they can do that by making an ingame store, they will make an ingame store. It's easy as pie.

*facepalm* now you're just trolling.

Timbonator
06-01-2012, 03:05 PM
They will do anything to make money without alienating the community which they've already built so much trust on. You are fuckin insane if u think Valve is this cutthroat. Valve cares and listens to it's community and gives it what they want which is far more than what many developers are willing to do nowadays.

Because you can make most money by keeping your customers satisfied. It is actually 10 times more expensive to get in new customers then keeping your old ones. So yeah, for a company it is important to keep your customers by your side.

Timbonator
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
*facepalm* now you're just trolling.

You're living in a dreamworld.

JMPayne
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
You're living in a dreamworld.

You're living in a dream world
You'll always be his favorite girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BggqD2AaqKA#t=43s

Shibubu
06-01-2012, 11:38 PM
One word for you, Timbonator... Only one - IDIOT.

Who the hell would try keeping servers ALL AROUND THE WORLD out of altruistic notion? VALVe is not a church, god damn it. Hell, even church is not entirely a charity organization. It never was. Of course they care about making money, but they are giving A VERY GOOD product for it.

On another note. Have you ever seen any other game developer releasing their game with a free to play model and not restricting the "free_players" from ANYTHING? VALVe is not even forcing you to buy this shit, because your performance with heroes won't change one bit. And here you are, complaining, that they are money grabbing cutthroats. I suggest you to just stop playing video games at all. Because you can't seem to comprehend what the world around you is like.

TomasKraven
06-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Kids Read Article. I have played dota from dota 1 till dota 2, I don't have problem with valve about implementation Dota 2 Store and Steam Workshop. I like this because have more motivation to play more again with my creation custom items. I don't like Valve to add disable custom items option because some disrespects to custom items creator.
Majority TF2 Pro Players like steam trading features too, if you don't believe you should check Steam Stats, how many people play TF2 today...
I think you before start a new thread don't read FAQ (http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/faq) what purpose from Dota 2 Store and Steam Workshop
I hope moderators please close this thread because always get multiple threads like this with invalid arguments.
you may be motivated to play for the items, other people(a huge part of the community) is actually motivated to play to get better at this game, remember its a competitive game. I dont know whats wrong with giving the option to toggle off cosmetics, people who dislike them have rights too, why everybody is so fixated in that if you cant see all my items, then they are worthless... buy them because you like them jeez

Ad-M
06-02-2012, 12:30 AM
you may be motivated to play for the items, other people(a huge part of the community) is actually motivated to play to get better at this game, remember its a competitive game. I dont know whats wrong with giving the option to toggle off cosmetics, people who dislike them have rights too, why everybody is so fixated in that if you cant see all my items, then they are worthless... buy them because you like them jeez
Are you kidding? I buy items only because someone can see it...

Viperus
06-02-2012, 01:13 AM
You simply need to put ingame options:
a) disable all skins
b) only put my customizations on all heroes (If you dont want to see tacky ones like that faceless void)
c) enable normal skins

Phoenixclaw
06-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Please don't ruin DotA 2 for hats. Charge me $50. Charge me $60. BUT PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME SUBJECT TO ANOTHER AWFUL ITEM WHORING GAME.
that's my concern as well.

m4rx
06-02-2012, 01:36 AM

About other people (a huge part of the community) maybe not in this forum but in other forums like in my country i don't get complaining such as cry kids about custom items......
Custom items is part from dota community like dota 1 is from custom maps WC3 TFT......
I think majority people like what valve doing referring on this link (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) such as implementation custom items
For people hate custom items never affected the amount of players to play dota 2, if you don't believe please check this link (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/).....

TomasKraven
06-02-2012, 06:26 AM
About other people (a huge part of the community) maybe not in this forum but in other forums like in my country i don't get complaining such as cry kids about custom items......
Custom items is part from dota community like dota 1 is from custom maps WC3 TFT......
I think majority people like what valve doing referring on this link (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) such as implementation custom items
For people hate custom items never affected the amount of players to play dota 2, if you don't believe please check this link (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/).....
its funny that you link me to the player flow graph since its been 2 days since the release of the cosmetics and it is obvious that there would be no change in such a short time... think before replying please.

Shibubu
06-02-2012, 07:38 AM
its funny that you link me to the player flow graph since its been 2 days since the release of the cosmetics and it is obvious that there would be no change in such a short time... think before replying please.

Actually the change is that there are more players online than it was before. ~50k people online all day long.

m4rx
06-02-2012, 08:08 AM

You should watch thats stats till one week and i assume it will never change and more new players for everyday like TF2....

TwoHourMotel
06-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I remember having a conversation with a friend who I played DotA 1 with. In the WC3 game lobby (this was before Dota 2 was even announced), we were simply imagining what it would be like if Dota got upgraded graphics and became it's own game. We were dreaming of a day where DotA became a main stream hit. We were dreaming of a day where the hero models were beutiful, and they all had unique voice acting and personalities. We were dreaming of a day where the heroes item's changed dependent on what items they bought from the shops. Although valve didn't go down this path, I still can't believe just how much they have improved the DotA formula, and just how much we take for granted now.

If you're going to bitch about Dota 2 having costume items, I think you should go play DotA for about a week and tell us how you liked it.

m4rx
06-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I remember having a conversation with a friend who I played DotA 1 with. In the WC3 game lobby (this was before Dota 2 was even announced), we were simply imagining what it would be like if Dota got upgraded graphics and became it's own game. We were dreaming of a day where DotA became a main stream hit. We were dreaming of a day where the hero models were beutiful, and they all had unique voice acting and personalities. We were dreaming of a day where the heroes item's changed dependent on what items they bought from the shops. Although valve didn't go down this path, I still can't believe just how much they have improved the DotA formula, and just how much we take for granted now.

If you're going to bitch about Dota 2 having costume items, I think you should go play DotA for about a week and tell us how you liked it.

+1

Because Dota 1 actually from custom map, i can edit what i want via World Editor...