PDA

View Full Version : Keep it classy.

Mittsies
06-01-2012, 05:20 AM
I'm perfectly fine with the cosmetic changes in DOTA 2 -- in fact, I like them a lot. I think giving players aesthetic customization is great, and furthermore the thrill of finding items and trading them with friends is never a bad thing. However, we all (and I mean Valve, the community, the players - everyone who is apart of DotA) need to remember what happened to Team Fortress 2. Hopefully, we've learned a very valuable lesson about what can happen to an art-style.

I think most people will agree that TF2's original artstyle was actually so powerful that it changed the way we look at visual themes in modern-day games. It was clean, crisp, beautiful and most importantly it was simple. The important features of the game popped like black on white, while the unimportant stuff blended in softly -- it was gorgeous to look at and at the same time didn't get in the way of gameplay. Unfortunately, that didn't last long. With the addition of hideous, brightly-colored paints, wacky unusual effects and goofy over-the-top hats -- the game felt more like a cartoony Mario Party shooter. It felt childish, and while I continued to enjoy the game because it didn't particularly bother me, the vast majority of the player base acted negatively towards the destruction of the game's artstyle.

If you look back to the first "hats" they added in TF2 you'll notice they were minor, subtle modifications to the character's appearance. They were noticeable, even from a distance, but they were not particularly distracting or disturbing. After awhile, TF2 stopped caring about what fit in with the game's visual theme and pretty much just decided to slap in any random cosmetic item they could think of at the time. With the addition of lime green and hot pink paint in 2010 -- the artstyle of the game was forever doomed to tasteless visual clutter. I digress, enough about TF2, onto DOTA 2.

I'm not about to say DOTA 2's artstyle is going to be ruined by all these cosmetic items, but what I can say is that we're off to a bad start.
http://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/dota_bundle_ursa_alpine_stalker_large.736428653620 7c577b4ca369a18e5e1562515559.pnghttp://www.cyborgmatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/dota_bundle_tidehunter_pirate_slayer_large.98ed296 1295728e326b549fa95e0286dc755bfa5.png

Please, just keep it classy. Sometimes you just have to tell your community, "no, you cannot have a giant bright-green tophat with flaming magenta clown shoes. I don't care how cool you think it is." The items should be minor adjustments to the character's visual theme. They should be noticeable on a subconscious level, and not in a "Dear god what is that?" way. Subtle in a way that you wouldn't really notice it unless you stopped to take the time to look at an individual feature of the character. Furion's beards are a good example -- they don't stick out like a sore thumb but if you look at him for a moment you'll instantly recognize the visual change, and it's a very pleasing sight to see.

With that being said, I am eagerly looking forward to how cosmetic items will change the overall feel of the game's visual themes in a positive way. I hope Valve can put their foot down and say 'No' to items that are extremely goofball and ridiculous in the future. I don't think the Ursa set is -that- bad, but it's definitely paving the way for bad visual choices in the future. I also want to add that if we manage to make the cosmetics look aesthetically-pleasing and non-invasive, I think less players will feel the need to disable them.

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say as well.

The Hunky Squirrel
06-01-2012, 05:38 AM
You see, Valve? No one likes the Ursa set. So please, just remove it.

Swouuu
06-01-2012, 06:15 AM
I guess you are blind, that Ursa looks just sick.
I think it is one of the best cosmetics created until now.

slowreflex
06-01-2012, 06:17 AM
As per the FAQ, the community will get to vote on which cosmetic items they want to go into the game or not. Closed.