PDA

View Full Version : Item Drop rate is slow and tiring

zzuubb
06-01-2012, 06:02 PM
So I am under the impression that every 1000 Battle points will level you up and you will get an item on your next level. But after playing so many games I realise that 1000 points is hard to collect which makes the drop rate extremely slow.

Also there is a chance you can get items after 5-6 games (not sure of this number). Valve should probably clarify the mechanism.

Should the drop system be modified such that you get items for say 500 points or alternatively they can modify the level system and give more items the higher level you are? Once more heroes/item are released it will be impossible to get the items for the heroes you play.

The items are supposed to drop slowly enough to make it worth buying them. I would think this would be obvious.

In TF2 valve makes money not by selling items but by selling keys. I can safely say over 90% of their multi-million revenue comes from keys rather than selling items. So why not in Dota 2 also? And when crafting will be introduced (it will be, talked to some content creators and also on www.tf2b.com store bought items show "not usable in crafting") won't there be an acute shortage of clean dropped items for crafting purposes?

TL;DR - Sell keys like TF2 and let players enjoy items for free.

weebletns
06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Items also drop at the end of every game. It seems to be an average of 2-4 drops per game (out of 10 possible people), so it isn't all that slow.

Animalgreed
06-01-2012, 06:08 PM
It's a bonus for playing the game, not the other way around...

aeon44
06-01-2012, 06:44 PM
i think its just normal that its hard to get items by the end of games.

i mean they did put those items on the store for a price, right?
they won't gain profit if items will always drop for someone every game, so its just fair.

if you want those items, then just buy it, simple as that.

but yeah, its kinda hard to level up if 1000 battle points are needed just to go to level 2, before it was only just 250 now and months ago they updated it to 1000.

zzuubb
06-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Items also drop at the end of every game. It seems to be an average of 2-4 drops per game (out of 10 possible people), so it isn't all that slow.
Last time I checked most people getting items at the end of the game are receiving their first item. Also this luck based drops system ain't fair if you are randomly chosen to get items. Some people may keep getting lucky with drops so that makes it unfair for the rest who play but get nothing.

Proskub
06-01-2012, 06:54 PM
It's not that bad, not to mention their is currently no weekly drop cap. Just play more. It's free stuff anyways.

Proskub
06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Not to mention the drop rate increases as you level up more.

zzuubb
06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
It's not that bad, not to mention their is currently no weekly drop cap. Just play more. It's free stuff anyways.
You don't know how much I have been playing to get items but no luck

Kakee
06-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I recommend you play the game for the sake of the game.

Glacius91
06-01-2012, 11:54 PM

I have played at least 10 games since the update.

I got 2 boxes and 1 item, some matches didn't drop items at all, but the thing that bothers me most is that 3 of those matches didn't give me Battle Points at all!

windrunnerxj
06-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Well, I've got ~750 battlepoints and received only 3 items:
Two treasure chests (which are useless, not gonna spend 3bucks for a key) and one sword for Sven (http://dotaholic.com/dota-2/citem/i/4051/wuldastron-the-twin-blade-of-giants) (and I don't play Sven at all...). Drop system should be closer to the TF2.
As for today's system - i think it's because there's not so much items in the shop, so with a higher drop chance you could collect all the items in a few days.

Hogger
06-02-2012, 08:23 AM

There are nowhere near that many drops per game on average. Keep in mind that everyone gets a freebie for their first game so that will be boosting your numbers a lot at this stage.

Beyond the first freebies I would say it's closer to 0.5 to 1 items per game on average.

I myself have played 15 games post patch and I've gotten 2 chests and 2 drops. 1 chest and 1 item are the first game freebies. From what I can judge from other peoples numbers the normal seems to be 1 item per 10 games on average.

--------------

On the topic of items though, if you're playing DotA 2 to get items and not because you enjoy it you need to look at your life.

blash365
06-02-2012, 08:24 AM

i believe you are wrong.
as far as i can make it out, you get an item for every level (including level 1). so your first game will always (or with a significant higher chance) give you an item. after that the "normal" droprate kicks in, which seems to be lower.

Nolf
06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Just play the game because you like playing the game. This cosmetic items are purely a small bonus for playing, don't take it as a goal you need to reach by grinding games. Also the random item rewards at the end of the game as just a preview of what is in store, and their purpose is to lure more people to the store.

tl:dr Just keep playing and if you win item be happy you got lucky.

aycheff
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Too bad you play Dota for Dota, and not fucking items.

lannp3007
06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah, and if you want the items so badly, why don't you just buy them?

zzuubb
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Too bad you play Dota for Dota, and not fucking items.

To this and to all other similar posts. Yes I enjoy dota 2 and I want to get items too. That's the whole point of items right? Make your game better and more enjoyable. And if you dont have any constructive comment why the fuck do you post?

Porre
06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, the game is about Dota and the items are simply something additional since it is Free 2 Play. How can people whine about drop rates of items when they get a free game?

realister
06-02-2012, 02:37 PM

I just played 3 games in a row with a BONUS enabled and nobody got a single item in all those 3 games.

Ekriel
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
It seems pretty slow to me too, nowhere near 2-4 per game. In my last 5 games, 3 things have dropped. Not for me, I've gotten nothing, I mean 3 total items dropped. Dota matches can be really, really long. Its a little disheartening to play the game for an hour or more and get nothing. Its much worse when it happens 5 times in a row.

Maybe keep the actual item drop rates low, but increase chest drop rates?

Arxos
06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Maybe keep the actual item drop rates low, but increase chest drop rates?
Please don't.
Most chests contain garbage, and you may as well buy the item you want rather than a key.
The only reason those damn chests are there is to troll you. It's like every time I get one I feel like Gabe's watching me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6yRpQrsaY) with a trollface.

Techno-Grub
06-02-2012, 04:04 PM
If it's slow and tiring, it's a good thing. They are free, and there's the shop for near-instant access to cosmetics.

Also, not all games result in any item drops. I'm totally fine with that.

Prospero
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Please don't make more chests. I hated crates in TF2 as I always forgot to delete them and they ended up cramming up lots of space in my backpack. I don't want the same here.

blash365
06-03-2012, 04:16 AM
a friend of mine has 6 items already. four of which are juggernaut crates and another being a furion crate. he must be so lucky.

m4rx
06-03-2012, 05:06 AM
Please don't make more chests. I hated crates in TF2 as I always forgot to delete them and they ended up cramming up lots of space in my backpack. I don't want the same here.
If you hated crates, why you don't make trade to other steam items with me or this link (http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/)? Yo should try...!!!

doucheplayer
06-03-2012, 05:19 AM
1. open dota 2 store
2. buy cosmetics
3. ????
4. profit

or are you one of those cheapstakes who's gonna complain about free stuff?

Ner[D]
06-03-2012, 05:27 AM
I think nothing should be changed. Since TF2 system works fine, this should stay the same too. I mean, maybe you would want to be able just to buy the items with no hope for random drops? Like some other games we know? I thought so.

Sure, tha rates are probably made in "their" favor (as in high enough for you to have a chance to get it, but low enough so you might just lose it and go buy it), but it's logical.

Sure I would love to have higher rates, but I also want a ferrari and who knows maybe one of these things will happen. Though seeing that there is an item "boost your luck" in the shop... well I need to make some space in my garage.

Hunter0051
06-03-2012, 05:39 AM
i think its just normal that its hard to get items by the end of games.

i mean they did put those items on the store for a price, right?
they won't gain profit if items will always drop for someone every game, so its just fair.

if you want those items, then just buy it, simple as that.

but yeah, its kinda hard to level up if 1000 battle points are needed just to go to level 2, before it was only just 250 now and months ago they updated it to 1000.
Have already figured how how many items they'll have for each hero after they've implemented all the 100+ heroes and supposing each hero will have a single set (5 pieces of equippment, ranging from 0.75~2$)
That's way more than 500 items... And supposing we have to play 4 matches to win an item, that means 2000 hours of gameplay to get all items (that is: if you don't get duplicates and crates).

D3t_
06-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Wow people are more concerned about drop rates than the actual game. So sad.

Baysie
06-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Wow people are more concerned about drop ratse than the actual game. So sad.

Well, what did you expect, vanity has always been the focus of many players and out their in the real world. Who doesn't like to show of their bling?

Stanlezz
06-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Did you come to this conclusion from one thread? So sad.

To the topic: I think it's fine this way. We shouldn't be spammed with crazy amount of "cosmetics", it would, again, render the shop useless. Why would you want to buy something if other items drop for free?

The one thing that concerns me is that good players in the game should be rewarded or have, at least, bigger chance of getting loot. Last 2 games (first as spectator, second as player) had unbelievable feeders - they both got loot. I don't know how it works now, are rewards randomly generated? I don't know where Valve aims with loot after each game, maybe motivation? If so, this is not a big motivation.

areid2
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I have only played a few games after the patch but I have got 3-4 items every game. I suspect the drop rate increases the further you are from your last game.

D3t_
06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Did you come to this conclusion from one thread? So sad.

Of course not.

Nolf
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
The one thing that concerns me is that good players in the game should be rewarded or have, at least, bigger chance of getting loot. Last 2 games (first as spectator, second as player) had unbelievable feeders - they both got loot. I don't know how it works now, are rewards randomly generated?

Spectators have chance to win an item after the game ends?

Arxos
06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Spectators have chance to win an item after the game ends?
No, he was just spectating a game and saw people get items when said game ended.

You're on the forum discussing cosmetic items, what the hell are you expecting?

Spr09
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM

it's been terrible and I completely agree with him. I've had games where no items drop or you're lucky to get 1 item that 9 other people get to see.

Rainheart
06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
There is item called "Breathtaking Benefactor" that gives random items to random people and spectators, why would anyone give 20 euros for an item that gives bonuses to RANDOM people?! Am I missing something here?

Btw where does it say you can get items by random drop/earning Battle Points... all I could find is that you should get free item after getting level up (Battle Level)? Getting items after each game by random drop and when you level-up seems a bit strange, Valve will earn cash only from cosmetic items directly from Dota2 and they are giving those items for free? Can't explain that to myself. :D

Muranodo
06-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I've played 7 matches thus far public matchmaking wise, and I've only seen two item drops total; it was both one item per game.

It does feel slow when I think of Team Fortress 2 as a comparison; it seems understandable given the early state of the item adds in-game.

Doesn't mean I don't keep crossing my fingers in hopes of actually getting an item though at the end of each game.

Nolf
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
There is item called "Breathtaking Benefactor" that gives random items to random people and spectators, why would anyone give 20 euros for an item that gives bonuses to RANDOM people?! Am I missing something here?

I was thinking it can be used for small size tournaments or stuff like that, where organizers can not offer cash price for teams.

Or when you as a streamer want to play with your fans and put one of this items in game.

MikeyBooT12
06-03-2012, 10:12 PM
but game ruiners get rare items... thank you valve -_-

zzuubb
06-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Btw where does it say you can get items by random drop/earning Battle Points... all I could find is that you should get free item after getting level up (Battle Level)? Getting items after each game by random drop and when you level-up seems a bit strange, Valve will earn cash only from cosmetic items directly from Dota2 and they are giving those items for free? Can't explain that to myself. :D

First the concept is like TF2 where people do use that gift from shop but its generally on occasions like Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Second you get 1 sure item every time you level up. Random drops occur when you have played 5-6 games (not sure on this number)

yummybui
06-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Item drop rate is acceptable for me. It drops in most of the games I've played though there may not be a lot of drops in a single match.

but game ruiners get rare items... thank you valve -_-

Hopefully that will be changed.

Skull
06-04-2012, 08:03 AM
The drop rate is low right now. Consider that we gonna have thousands of items soon, this will simple not work. Items that can't be traded, are useless. So there's no real incentive on buying the cosmetics, except to help Valve. I'm still waiting to see what those cosmetics are going to do with the game. If they ruin it, I'll not buy anything. If the drop rate don't compesate, it's another reason to not buy anything. In tf2 we had like 8 items droping if you play a set amount of time. If you exceed this time, you get these items on the next week. The drop rate in dota should be bigger, because it will have more items.

nygthhawk
06-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I have played about 32 games POST patch, and the only item/chest i received were the first one. There were about 5-6 games with NO items for anyone, while the others, I have YET to rec an item. I would like to know an approximate drop rate, cause this sucks lol!

obro
06-04-2012, 08:13 AM
What I find annoying is when the game finishes and the guy who fed the entire game and lost it get's the drop.

ViciousJawa
06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
The drop rate is a tad low, but then again it's a bonus and you can always trade what you find for other stuff.
Not sure if I'm happy with it at this point, will see in the future

Rainheart
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
First the concept is like TF2 where people do use that gift from shop but its generally on occasions like Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Second you get 1 sure item every time you level up. Random drops occur when you have played 5-6 games (not sure on this number)

I see, thanks for answer but I still can't believe someone would give 20e for item that gives items to random people, ah... strange days. :-)

Btw is there official word on item drops after each game? All I could find is that you get item after level up-ing your Battle Level, but nothing of drop/drop chances after completing game/gaining Battle Points.

slugonice
06-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Items are rewards for playing.

Want a specific item? There's a Dota store for that.

Let's Teamwork!
06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
The items are supposed to drop slowly enough to make it worth buying them. I would think this would be obvious.

tNag552
06-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Not to mention the drop rate increases as you level up more.
is this confirmed? I know an item is droped every time you level, but drop rate increase?

Porre
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM

This cannot be true, think of when you reach level 1.000.000! You get items every match and making the Store pointless! However, I like the current drop like, would not be any problem if they lowered it even more.

Gyre
06-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I think the drop rate is too fast, to be honest. It may seem slow when you want lots of items, but remember, you were playing the game way before they added drops, the drops are just there for a little something extra. If anything, I think the drops are too fast. There are not that may items and getting 1-5 items a week you can trade to get a full set for you favorite few heroes in no time. Or you can spend $2 - $5 on an item, which is the real point of the whole system. I think with this fast of a drop rate you might get all the stuff for your favorites in a few months and then not care about the store because you have what you wanted.

Porre
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I think the drop rate is too fast, to be honest. It may seem slow when you want lots of items, but remember, you were playing the game way before they added drops, the drops are just there for a little something extra. If anything, I think the drops are too fast. There are not that may items and getting 1-5 items a week you can trade to get a full set for you favorite few heroes in no time. Or you can spend $2 - $5 on an item, which is the real point of the whole system. I think with this fast of a drop rate you might get all the stuff for your favorites in a few months and then not care about the store because you have what you wanted.

Agree!

nygthhawk
06-05-2012, 05:56 PM

I think the drop rate would be GOOD if MINIMUM 1 item dropped per game no? I have gone roughly 10 games with NO items dropping for ANYONE....im all for the exclusivity of items, but when no items drop for 10 + games and then 3+ drop in the next 5-10 games, and 20 games you in you got zero, id rather 20 games 20 items, and got 0....make sense?

Cineic
06-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Just buy a bundle if you want items so badly. they ain't that expensive.

Nerdstick
06-07-2012, 03:56 AM
I play about a single game daily and haven't gotten a single item since the first guaranteed freebie. I'd love it if they added something like one per day.

moon02
06-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Maybe they could add crafting those treasure chest 15 of them to a mythical treasure so its a reasonable item.
Its such a waste if I'll only delete them @@.

jayjay
06-07-2012, 04:49 AM
I think the drop rate would be GOOD if MINIMUM 1 item dropped per game no? I have gone roughly 10 games with NO items dropping for ANYONE....im all for the exclusivity of items, but when no items drop for 10 + games and then 3+ drop in the next 5-10 games, and 20 games you in you got zero, id rather 20 games 20 items, and got 0....make sense?

This is something I can agree with. I wish at least someone got an item once per game, even if your opponents did. It really can be depressing when there's no fanfare for one at the end of an exhausting match. I rather not have a one item per day for each person though. We'll just get lazy people that play one game a day and then forget about the game...

Sitanoni
06-07-2012, 07:10 AM

I think the average is less, cause last 2 games i played no one got any items, the ones before that one person got 1 item, and the other game 2 people got.... so actually the drop rate isn't too high :p

Sitanoni
06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Maybe they could add crafting those treasure chest 15 of them to a mythical treasure so its a reasonable item.
Its such a waste if I'll only delete them @@.

I agree with this statement, but I think it wont happen :/

Dramaideale
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
No, I disagree.

If anything, the drop rate is too high! You get an item not only from levelling up, but also from random drops. It's insane, really, and the complaining is pointless. Compare it to TF2 hat drop rates. In Dota, it is much, much higher, and those are still cosmetics.

Not to mention the prices are very low as is. Increasing the drop rates would be a stupid move, as it would make using the store. Use the money, support Valve.

Kakkoii
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Weird, I get items every 2-3 games, it's usually a chest though, which doesn't show up until you look in your backpack, for some odd reason.

Superfuzz
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
No, I disagree.

If anything, the drop rate is too high! You get an item not only from levelling up, but also from random drops. It's insane, really, and the complaining is pointless. Compare it to TF2 hat drop rates. In Dota, it is much, much higher, and those are still cosmetics.

Not to mention the prices are very low as is. Increasing the drop rates would be a stupid move, as it would make using the store. Use the money, support Valve.

I think the main difference with TF2 is that the latter has a weekly cap so you can't get more than X items. But I guess even that is balanced because on Dota2 you don't get items from staying in main menu, spectating etc.