PDA

View Full Version : Personalizing Heroes

bluerebel
06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I love the new cosmetic items and I love winning items from every match. It doesn't save me from the fact that other player's tastes are a bit...subjective, and may not entirely be cool with me.

So imagine this:
What if we were allowed to personalize all the heroes with items we purchased and want to see them wear? (Regardless if they're played by bots or other players)
This way I can buy a whole wardrobe set for all the heroes without having to worry about seeing Frost Spike Traxex (Sorry I know some of you like it, but it's not sitting well with me.)

I would also like to do this BEFORE the game and not during. I really think having us customize what our heroes wear at the beginning is pointless (and causes multiple lag-spikes that should only occur when each hero is loaded.) but I guess the feature is required because some people who play with random players in matchmaking will eventually have a whole set of different wardrobes and will want to "match" with other players. (sorry for the pun)

Anyway think about it:
This way, I can toggle between looking at other people's items (for when I'm playing casually)
and to playing with my preferred set of items for the heroes (for when I'm playing competitively)

Competitive Cosmetics (http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=38288&p=231676&viewfull=1#post231676)
Hefaistus' Bot Cosmetics (http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=38491&p=232732&viewfull=1#post232732)

TheWilder
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
This breaks the entire idea of personalizing. People buy items, not because they want to look pretty on their screen (well that too) but mainly because they want to show it to other people. Also, I fail to see how would Valve get money from this, I mean-okey, 10-20 people would actualy buy item for every hero, so that everyone looks how they like, but that's it.

bluerebel
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM
...Also, I fail to see how would Valve get money from this, I mean-okey, 10-20 people would actualy buy item for every hero, so that everyone looks how they like, but that's it.

Turn it into a secret feature you can only purchase for 20-40 dollars? I mean seriously now, we can't say "Mainly" because all we can do is speculate on the number of people that would actually BUY items so as to show off to other people. With the game dropping items left and right, some may never even bother to visit the online store. (You could use the TF2 model as an example, but I'd rather not.)

Besides, cosmetics in itself brings along a ship-load of worries.
"Won't this inspire players to play one hero?"
"Won't Dota 2 grow into an unmanageable HardDisk waste of space?"
"Can my computer handle loading all these items?"
"Can I still be able to identify heroes?"

These are a few questions lurking on the forum, and some would reply "REALLY? YOU CAN'T RECOGNIZE A HERO WITH A MINOR CHANGE LIKE THAT? NOOB!"
A rounded up amount of 57 percent of the forum population is voting for Valve to add the "Disable Custom Content" for a reason, I'm just trying to think up of a way to keep the store so that Valve can keep making money with it without having to resort to that.

Glacius91
06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
A rounded up amount of 57 percent of the forum population is voting for Valve to add the "Disable Custom Content" for a reason, I'm just trying to think up of a way to keep the store so that Valve can keep making money with it without having to resort to that.

What population are you referring to? Because I'm pretty sure in PlayDotA more than 70% of the users enjoy this new feature and don't want that "Disable Custom Content" option.

I vote: No. If I buy an item and customize my hero I want everybody to see it, and this is just how every other player thinks about this issue.

Besides, cosmetics in itself brings along a ship-load of worries.
"Won't this inspire players to play one hero?" - What's so wrong about this? People can play what they want, it's the point of a game, even more if it's free to play.
"Won't Dota 2 grow into an unmanageable HardDisk waste of space?" - Items are not that heavy, 200 items were released in the update and it was 220MB (including all the other content.)
"Can my computer handle loading all these items?" - Not sure, but I think that they took this into consideration.
"Can I still be able to identify heroes?" - They're not changing the hero completely, they're just adding stuff to their looks while they still look like the original, take as an example Axe's items, he still holds a big axe, has a big armor, and he's red. Another example is Furion, the only things that change are the staff/robes/horns, he still looks like Furion.

bluerebel
06-02-2012, 03:55 AM
What population are you referring to? Because I'm pretty sure in PlayDotA more than 70% of the users enjoy this new feature and don't want that "Disable Custom Content" option.

I vote: No. If I buy an item and customize my hero I want everybody to see it, and this is just how every other player thinks about this issue.

I apologize for this, I pulled my statistics from these threads First (http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37965&page=14) and Second (http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37965&page=14) At this time, the percentage of people who want a Disable Custom Content button is around 56 percent and I assumed that a solution was needed from these statistics. I would love to see statistics from the PlayDotA forum so as to find out how minor these anti-cosmetic groups really are.

I'll avoid disputing your red ink answers to my questions seeing as the answer to those questions can never be truly objective. I could tell you that I cannot recognize the new Ursa in his new outfit, and you could call me "blind" because he generally looks the same, but neither of us can really prove the other wrong. Same goes for your game ethics. (which I respect entirely)