PDA

View Full Version : An idea for "Battle Level" Rewards

Mittsies
06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Currently earning battle points and gaining level serves no known purpose other than getting an item drop.
(rumor has it that higher levels can increase drop rate, but this is unconfirmed and is still a weak reward imo)
It just feels kind of meaningless since we can already find the same exact items through random drops as well.

My idea is simple, really.
Each time you level up, in addition to your drop, you can pick 1 extra item from a small selection of random items (Think like Single Draft - but with cosmetic items)
Furthermore, the higher level you reach, the rarer types of items you can get from this system.
Some items should be exclusive to higher levels and cannot be purchased in the store.
Perhaps every 5 levels you can get a key to open a crate with.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. This will be much more exciting for players when they level up, as they have something really special to look forward to rather than just a random item that might be worthless or something they don't even want.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was to find some random crappy common item after playing just under 20 or so games to get to level 2.
I want to feel like I've truly accomplished something when I level up, don't you?

EDIT: Also, since people are leveling up now, I think the rewards should be retroactive. (obviously)

awes0meaxel
06-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I agree.

Ziggy
06-02-2012, 01:17 AM
I do feel sort of jipped after playing a couple 40 min+ games and not getting a single item drop.

Calavera
06-02-2012, 01:26 AM
+1, valve should make it such that not getting an item at the end of a game should still be satisfying cause you will know that battlepoints will be useful.

m4rx
06-02-2012, 01:41 AM
+1
How about for starter if win for their first game?

teh_rockerer
06-02-2012, 01:45 AM
+1. Nice idea

Mittsies
06-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I do feel sort of jipped after playing a couple 40 min+ games and not getting a single item drop.
Yeah. exactly.

At least with the suggested level up system you have something truly exciting to look forward to.

jayjay
06-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Not sure about the key idea, it may encourage farming and people who dont play the game to just make more accounts to gain some form of currency (keys) down the line. However, I do like the idea of some random assortment of items to cherry pick from. What's 1 item every few hours from play that the person may truly want instead of something totally random.

ugot.juked
06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
+1! Moreover the itemdrop rate is to low in my opinion. In TF2 u get much more Items in less time.

SlyGoat
06-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Good stuff.

jayjay
06-02-2012, 03:47 PM
+1! Moreover the itemdrop rate is to low in my opinion. In TF2 u get much more Items in less time.

Debatable. You're guaranteed 8 items minimum iirc, and 16 max per week. You can probably get way more in dota 2 from just simply playing. I probably rather have it stay random instead of guaranteed since items may just flood if we have them guaranteed apart from just level ups. If the drop rates are low, there's more value in them, if it's too high you get too many and then they lose value.

Mittsies
06-02-2012, 04:10 PM
You're guaranteed 8 items minimum iirc, and 16 max per week.
source?

EDIT: Nvm, thought you were talking about DOTA 2

jayjay
06-02-2012, 04:16 PM
source?

The current item drop system was introduced on April 20, 2010.[1] Players are guaranteed to find items at regular intervals of 30 to 70 minutes, with an average interval of 50 minutes.
It has been estimated that a maximum of 5 to 12 items can be found each week. Also the system has a cap on the amount of playtime in which drops can occur. This cap has been estimated to be 10 hours each week. Playing beyond the cap will not yield additional items[2]. Mann Co. Supply Crates and other usable items drop on a separate timer, meaning that these items do not affect the interval between regular drops.[3][4] The system resets each player's playtime cap every Thursday at approximately 00:00 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). If a player plays less than the playtime cap in a week, their leftover time will be added to the next week, so a player who does not play for one week will receive twice as many items the following week. The amount of time a player can save up is capped at double the allotment of a single week (roughly 20 hours).

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system

The last statement would explain why I thought 16 was the limit. The fact is, only Valve knows but many TF2 players would throw those numbers around and yes you stopped getting items from playing too much TF2 in one week, I know this from personally playing a ton of it.

func_door
06-02-2012, 04:26 PM
it was confirmed on sa forums that there's currently no drop cap, the only reason it existed in tf2 was because of all the problems with idling etc.