PDA

View Full Version : Solution To Players Who Are Anti-Cosmetics

R.B.Economy
06-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Some players like cosmetics, some players don't. So here's a suggestion, make the ability to turn off cosmetics a luxury.

Players who leave games will drop to a level where they cannot turn off the cosmetics and have to suffer playing with clowns. For decent players who actually play properly, they will be able to move up the ranks and EARN THE OPTION TO TURN OFF COSMETICS. So, decent players will get to play against decent players with the good old graphics while bad players will play against clowns at the lower-ranked circuses with lasers, oversized heads and party hats.

slowreflex
06-02-2012, 01:51 AM
You are implying that good players don't want cosmetics, which is not accurate.

This other thread is better in my opinion: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37965

Kosak
06-02-2012, 02:53 AM
slowreflex: but that's true, any highskilled player don't want to be distracted by any kind of cosmetic crap, we just have to focus on our game, not on silly hats

ShadowThanatos
06-02-2012, 02:59 AM
slowreflex: but that's true, any highskilled player don't want to be distracted by any kind of cosmetic crap, we just have to focus on our game, not on silly hats

You spoke for the whole group!!!!!

No.

Kosak
06-02-2012, 03:07 AM
you must be jelly 'coz you don't belong there

DarkLite
06-02-2012, 03:13 AM

If you're being distracted by a different beard on Nature's Prophet, then you're nowhere near as "highskilled" as you like to think you are.

And if you're speculating that Valve will one day add eye-watering cosmetics, they've already said that they won't. So until they do something like that, you're making a huge fuss over nothing.

Arxos
06-02-2012, 03:42 AM

Most people that want an option to turn off cosmetics do so because some cosmetics ruin a hero's theme. Having an Ursa run around in some weird rangers/Indiana Jones wanna be clothes simply ruins the feeling of that hero. When you're immersed in a game and you suddenly have some guy come in with an Ursa dressed like that he just completely breaks the immersion.
Some people don't care about this immersion, some do.
The people that want cosmetics disabled because it's distracting are very small minority. If you get distracted by Juggernaut using a slightly different sword to the point that it affects your gameplay there's something wrong with you.

IKNK
06-02-2012, 04:51 AM
The people that want cosmetics disabled because it's distracting are very small minority.

are very small minority.
very small minority.
small minority.
minority.

Based on what people use this as an argument?

rasielll
06-02-2012, 04:57 AM
lolwhat? :facepalm:

Arxos
06-02-2012, 05:08 AM
are very small minority.
very small minority.
small minority.
minority.

Based on what people use this as an argument?
Going by previous experiences with things like HoN, I know it is.
HoN has a community made mod that disables alternative skins, or enforces certain ones. (Like always seeing alternative skin, even if you don't have it or if someone else is using a second alternative skin)

While I liked using that mod, because I don't give a damn about others seeing my skins and I don't like seeing joke-skins, there really was very little interest in the mod. It almost died several times because the creator got lazy and a new one had to take over, and it's not like a lot of people would be asking for an update either.

Same deal with TF2, most people really just don't care.
It may seem like a lot do right now, but it's just because the people that do are vocal about it, especially now that it's been released just recently.

bluerebel
06-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Going by previous experiences with things like HoN, I know it is.
HoN has a community made mod that disables alternative skins, or enforces certain ones. (Like always seeing alternative skin, even if you don't have it or if someone else is using a second alternative skin)

While I liked using that mod, because I don't give a damn about others seeing my skins and I don't like seeing joke-skins, there really was very little interest in the mod. It almost died several times because the creator got lazy and a new one had to take over, and it's not like a lot of people would be asking for an update either.

Same deal with TF2, most people really just don't care.
It may seem like a lot do right now, but it's just because the people that do are vocal about it, especially now that it's been released just recently.

I just realized, if the people who do, in-fact, want the "disable custom items" button are but a very very tiny minority. Then why not humor them? Look at it this way. People buy custom items because they want other people to see them. The only possible reason they could have to stop buying would be because other people don't see them. Besides, the same people would probably not mind seeing other people's customized characters.

Do you see where I'm getting at here?

If the people who want to disable seeing custom items are a small minority of say 10 percent of the player-base, then the people that pro-cosmetics will run into will most of the time be other pro-cosmetics. And say they do run into that small minority. That pro-cosmetic player will never know whether or not the other party can see his customized hero.

Arxos
06-02-2012, 05:33 AM
I just realized, if the people who do, in-fact, want the "disable custom items" button are but a very very tiny minority. Then why not humor them? Look at it this way. People buy custom items because they want other people to see them. The only possible reason they could have to stop buying would be because other people don't see them. Besides, the same people would probably not mind seeing other people's customized characters.

If the people who want to disable seeing custom items are a small minority of say 10 percent of the player-base, then the people that pro-cosmetics will run into will most of the time be other pro-cosmetics. And say they do run into that small minority. That pro-cosmetic player will never know whether or not the other party can see his customized hero.
Exactly, it's why I don't understand peoples arguments of "Oh if they add this option the shop becomes redundant!"

TomasKraven
06-02-2012, 06:31 AM

1 Zillion internets for you, sir. +1