PDA

View Full Version : Buying on steam can be "impossible" to some players

radioactivfishy
06-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I've browsed thru the dota2 store and found out that steam only supports payment thru credit/debit cards, bank transaction and others I don't even understand.

This may limit some players and discourage them from buying in the cosmetics store since its kinda "hard" for them to buy something.
I understand that most steam users, (probably from the European and Western countries) have a bank account or some Paypal account. But since Dota2's players will be including us Asians, it will be kind of hard for us to buy something in the store since majority of these countries where dota is popular are in the "2nd world" / Most of us still don't have our own bank account, and Paypal isnt that popular to the masses.

I hope steam would be able to support payment thru buying "prepaid cards", and even buying thru your cellphone's load. If payment is quick and easy, I am sure that most of us players would buy something since it'll be open to us and have no hassle at all.

AFAIK, LoL have this kind of payment, and it really helped encouraged players to buy.
I hope dota2 considers this too. Thanks a lot.

pard
06-02-2012, 08:58 AM
It doesn't get much easier than paypal and credit cards. I'm sure steam rather not work with 'shady' payment methods because it may cause a lot of rework.

radioactivfishy
06-02-2012, 09:06 AM
^As I said, other players don't even have their own bank accounts (since they're too young/too poor) and don't even know what Paypal is.

Think of malaysia, china, indonesia and philippines. Majority of dota players are 15-25 years old, and teens don't have a bank account at that age since we are all still students and most people I know in my country hardly even use Paypal.

Cellphone Load and Prepaid cards is quite common in these countries. That's why if steam can add these to their payment methods, it will really help increase they're sales since most players usually access to these kinds of transactions. (LoL did it succesfully, why can't dota2?)

It doesn't get much easier than paypal and credit cards. I'm sure steam rather not work with 'shady' payment methods because it may cause a lot of rework.

While it may be easy to you guys, it's impossible to us and completely think of it as a hassle, so therefore, further discourages us to buy where we could have bought if payment was accessible to us in some way.

TheWilder
06-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I'd love to be able to pay trough cellphone and I would actualy buy much more stuff, even if people that use their cellphone would have some kind of disadvantage (In League of Legends, you get like 30% less points when you use this method compared to credit cards etc.)

1337_n00b
06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I have to agree, though this problem does not apply to me, my country is supported with a reasonable way of payig through Steam. But for a very long time I suffered from this in many other services, Steam pre-2011 included.

moon02
06-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I read they already have 20$ and 40$ steam vouchers in America.
Maybe soon they'll sell that in Asia too.

m4rx
06-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I've browsed thru the dota2 store and found out that steam only supports payment thru credit/debit cards, bank transaction and others I don't even understand.

This may limit some players and discourage them from buying in the cosmetics store since its kinda "hard" for them to buy something.
I understand that most steam users, (probably from the European and Western countries) have a bank account or some Paypal account. But since Dota2's players will be including us Asians, it will be kind of hard for us to buy something in the store since majority of these countries where dota is popular are in the "2nd world" / Most of us still don't have our own bank account, and Paypal isnt that popular to the masses.

I hope steam would be able to support payment thru buying "prepaid cards", and even buying thru your cellphone's load. If payment is quick and easy, I am sure that most of us players would buy something since it'll be open to us and have no hassle at all.

AFAIK, LoL have this kind of payment, and it really helped encouraged players to buy.
I hope dota2 considers this too. Thanks a lot.

Ok what are your country???