PDA

View Full Version : Infinite level? What will happend in the future? Level 1 000.000.000 ?

Porre
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
With the Battle Points enabled, you are able to level up your profile, which every level your will get an item. I guess there is no level cap and therefore the level is infinite, so what will happen several years ahead? Will you be able to reach level 1.000.000.000 eventually? And make the UI no longer support all of the numbers of your level it simply goes outside the screen?

What it your thoughts?

slowreflex
06-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I was wondering about this is well. I hope there's a level cap personally so it is always achievable for someone to get to the top. I hate games that give an everlasting advantage to those that play excessively or started before others (like EVE Online).

func_door
06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I was wondering about this is well. I hope there's a level cap personally so it is always achievable for someone to get to the top. I hate games that give an everlasting advantage to those that play excessively or started before others (like EVE Online).Battle level gives no bonuses, it's just a rough estimate of how many hours you've played. Capping it seems like an awful idea.

In order for the battle level to go off the screen someone would have to have played the game for multiple lifetimes, I don't think that's gonna be an issue

4evra
06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
its gonna be scalable lvl bar.
For example,on garena it took u about 3,4 years to reach lvl 40,50.

There shouldnt be lvl above 200 in dota in next 100 years if there is a scalable lvl progress bar.

func_door
06-02-2012, 12:51 PM
its gonna be scalable lvl bar.
For example,on garena it took u about 3,4 years to reach lvl 40,50.

There shouldnt be lvl above 200 in dota in next 100 years if there is a scalable lvl progress bar.a scalable level bar would mean it takes longer to get items the more you play, rofl. Bad idea.

Panter_d17
06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Wit current exp per level rates i think you wont even get to 1000 in your lifetime :)

slowreflex
06-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Battle level gives no bonuses, it's just a rough estimate of how many hours you've played. Capping it seems like an awful idea.

In order for the battle level to go off the screen someone would have to have played the game for multiple lifetimes, I don't think that's gonna be an issue

From the official FAQ:

Q: What are Battle Levels? What are Battle Points?
A: Each time you complete a matchmaking game, you will be rewarded with Battle Points. Earn enough of them, and your profile's Battle Level will increase, at which point you'll receive a new item.

And you say "battle level gives no bonuses". Seems you are incorrect...

Lancey
06-02-2012, 01:23 PM
That's not a cumulative bonus though.

func_door
06-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Leveling up gives you an item. a person with battle level 500 has no advantages over a person with battle level 5 (other than having leveled up more times and gotten more items in the process). If it turns out that being higher level gives you a higher droprate or something then I guess I'm wrong but there seems to be no indication that that is the case.

Capping level is basically a cap on items, which will just encourage people to re-register.

Monkit
06-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Definitely a cap. There is no way for them to give out so many items per level nor invent items that make people want to level up. I am guessing level cap at 100 plus every hero has their own achievement for you to unlock items with too

func_door
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Definitely a cap. There is no way for them to give out so many items per level nor invent items that make people want to level up. I am guessing level cap at 100 plus every hero has their own achievement for you to unlock items with too

I guarantee you, there will be no problem coming up with new items in the system, especially since steam workshop is involved. If there's a level cap of 100 then it will just encourage people to re-register for more items.

Also achievement-based unlocks would be awful for many reasons, just see tf2

Timbonator
06-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Why on earth would you level cap this. What's the big deal if a no-lifer is level 200 and you are level 30, doesn't the first person deserve more items due to the amount of time he invests in it?

Nerdstick
06-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Level cap being just for items = no cap, or so I hope!
But I'd also hope they'd not scale as well, unless the rewards do also.

Spr09
06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I was wondering about this is well. I hope there's a level cap personally so it is always achievable for someone to get to the top. I hate games that give an everlasting advantage to those that play excessively or started before others (like EVE Online).

eve online is amazing because you get an advantage the longer you play, having a level cap keeps people restricted to the same play group (LoL) and it's always either too hard or too easy. I thoroughly disagree with you, and since items are found by increasing levels too it stops people from wanting to find them once they hit the cap.

bluerebel
06-03-2012, 12:13 AM
I'd like a level cap but it would be interesting to apply a level down system as well. That way we can scale and assess our levels when they start going up or going down. The only down side to this is that item hunters can level down completely (throwing a lot of games and ruining the experience for everyone) so that they can farm items from level 1 over again.

xiiliea
06-03-2012, 12:20 AM
There is no point to cap the level. Having infinite levels ensures that players will be still motivated to play even if they reach a very high level. The level is just as an incentive to show people how much you have played.

Kakee
06-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, no level cap doesn't matter when levels don't do anything.

ViciousJawa
06-03-2012, 12:36 AM
I guarantee you, there will be no problem coming up with new items in the system, especially since steam workshop is involved. If there's a level cap of 100 then it will just encourage people to re-register for more items.

Maybe I'm missing something, but whenever your battle level goes up, don't you just get 1 random item drop? Or is it a predetermined drop each each level which is the same for everyone?
Because if it isn't set, then what's the issue in having unlimited levels? It takes long enough to get 1000 points to rank up and all people get for the hard work every 1000 points is one extra random drop, why cap that?

Of course, it might be weird to read "level 1283" on some profile, but at this rate...

rarryre
06-03-2012, 12:55 AM
i would prefer no cap on the level. incentive to keep playing

callizer
06-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Why should we have a cap when the bonus earned is only cosmetic items? If the items are game-changing, yes it should have a cap

xXSynXx
06-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Why should we have a cap when the bonus earned is only cosmetic items? If the items are game-changing, yes it should have a cap

this

Swordz
06-03-2012, 06:07 AM
I heard someone saying that the max level was 22.

chukky-jr
06-03-2012, 06:39 AM
maybe just make that some items in store can be purchased using battle level, that way ppl might constantly reset battle level at will (no?)

e.g : juggernaut's blade cost 50 battle level, etc

but what's the problem having it without cap anyway? no one gets hurt anyway

beamhardBC
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
does anyone knows the maths of battle points yet,
it seems to take around 10-15 matches to level up. so roughly 500 matches for level 20, 1000 matches for level 40.

and as far as i know all the pro players have played 1300 games in the last year. so 40 levels a year.

5 years level 200. if you are lifeless. :/

it is all approximation, maths nazis go away.

Arxos
06-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I heard someone saying that the max level was 22.
There's a bug where for whatever reason the game bugs out, and it seems that it doesn't award battle XP in this case but it shows your level as 22, XP bar full at something like 2,222,222 XP.
22 as a level cap is a weird number though... so I'm not really sure if its the cap or not.

Porre
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I have not reached level 2 yet so I wonder, do the required Battle Points scale up (e.g. level 2: 1100 Battle Points, level 3: 1200 Battle Points etc.)? Or is it simply 1000 Battle Points required each level?

kl4user
06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
It's pointless to cap it.

Makal
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Just to clarify: http://www.dota2.com/news/community/8142/

"There is no cap on the amount of Battle Points you can earn."

rarryre
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Just to clarify: http://www.dota2.com/news/community/8142/

"There is no cap on the amount of Battle Points you can earn."

nice.