PDA

View Full Version : Will there be "Unusual" cosmetic hats or items? (I.E. the TF2's glowing hats)

Techno-Grub
06-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Hello. The thread title is pretty self explanatory, but I guess some content for OP is in the right place.

"Unusual hats, glowing flashy hats that have a low chance of sudden appearance when you open up a crate with a bought key."

What do you see? You see a clever sales strategy: there is a catch which requires some investment, it also boosts the economy which Valve benefits off of.

But what you might not yet see is that, you are going to see eventually more and more glow-effects and "Unusual" particle-effects in-game from a public point of view at least.

And we will also see even more cosmetic items in general over the time, which brings me to another concern where eventually, there will be a time where you don't really see any default-looking Heroes anymore. That lessens with F2P-newbies though, but anyway.

So ahem.. Do you think Valve should just stick to selling awesome-looking, yet "normal" cosmetic items INSTEAD of running all wild with particle-effects, glows, yada yada, like (horribly) witnessed in TF2?

nicoman
06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
DOTA 2 is already on the slippery slope spiraling downwards into ridiculousness. You already have Pirate Tide, the Axecutioner and Lady Gaga Drow Ranger, only a matter of time until the "Baby Butcher Bundle" and the like.

Techno-Grub
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
You saying that doesn't exactly help the cause. And you even agree with me.

This is madness.. Like an inevitable storm brewing up that sends hats flying while people are trying to grab them.

jayjay
06-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Unusuals already exist. I'd just prefer it if Valve keeps them to couriers and possibly weapons without going too crazy. I definitely didn't like it when TF2 started allowing double particle effects and made them overlap because they were definitely costly and they got really messy and ugly. Valve, please try to keep particle effects to a minimum so we dont' have piercing beams, sunbeams, rainbows, gold coins, flies, mechanical bolts flying out of just one character model. I'd just be happy with only couriers having these effects.

Techno-Grub
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Yep, agreed about the couriers, and rest of it too. There's also a lot of effects used by items and spells already. So, what else is there besides from hoping that Valve won't run wild with cosmetics?

I still enjoy the game fully, but I have a feeling that the different types of cosmetics in vast numbers will make this game less enjoyable for me. A fair and a shared concern by many, or maybe not so many.

nicoman
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
You saying that doesn't exactly help the cause. And you even agree with me.

This is madness.. Like an inevitable storm brewing up that sends hats flying while people are trying to grab them.

A sad reality my friend. That is why I wish there will be a retail version of the game. *fingers crossed*

Porkyy
06-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't think there are unusuals out right now... But I have seen one guy with a strange omnishred and when he blade spun the animation looked quite different.

Mittsies
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qIthr.jpg

bha2597
06-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Is that a unusual courier?

Mittsies
06-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Is that a unusual courier?
Yes. I got it on my first crate the day the store came out.

wesai
06-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Suddenly I feel a little bad inside, knowing that Dota 2 will become the next TF2 (don't get me wrong, I love TF2, but I don't see that kind of glowing shit on couriers or armors making sense in Dota 2). We already have so much particle effects from spells, SO MUCH, 100+ heroes and then people wanna add extra unnecessary glowing effects? Maybe changing one spells effect is okay (as long as it's not too much), because what it does is that it would "replace", now having glowing effects on armors and couriers is adding "extra" effects, that is bad.

m4rx
06-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Suddenly I feel a little bad inside, knowing that Dota 2 will become the next TF2 (don't get me wrong, I love TF2, but I don't see that kind of glowing shit on couriers or armors making sense in Dota 2). We already have so much particle effects from spells, SO MUCH, 100+ heroes and then people wanna add extra unnecessary glowing effects? Maybe changing one spells effect is okay (as long as it's not too much), because what it does is that it would "replace", now having glowing effects on armors and couriers is adding "extra" effects, that is bad.
I think Dota 2 still in BETA version. and i hope you don't worry because its not final version....

For next patch I want cosmestic items keep classic with DoTA environment and make distraction with TF2 Items...

m4rx
06-02-2012, 09:09 PM
If you don't like, you can trade them to me or this link (http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2trade)...

Techno-Grub
06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
If you don't like, you can trade them to me or this link (http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2trade)...

You seem to want to "Catch 'em All" don't you?

Banethulhu
06-03-2012, 07:48 AM
DOTA 2 is already on the slippery slope spiraling downwards into ridiculousness. You already have Pirate Tide, the Axecutioner and Lady Gaga Drow Ranger, only a matter of time until the "Baby Butcher Bundle" and the like.

Wow, seriously? are you kidding me?

Pirate Tide - Even though I admit the hat is a bit silly, how is making the arch enemy of an Admiral into a pirate going out of hand?

Axecutioner - So a guy with a giant Axe whose ultimate decapitates people being portraited as an executioner is ridiculous? seriously?

Lady Gaga Drow!?!?!?!? - What? because of the short hair? girls can't have short hair? are you sexist? Coming from a warrior girl like traxex it's only fitting she has short hair, and it looks good on her.

slowreflex
06-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Just use the workshop to vote and trust that Valve will use their veto responsibly on any absurd items.