PDA

View Full Version : Dota 2 - A Content Creator view

Ashkental
06-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Hey Valve guys,

You should make an area just for us 3d artists to discuss the creation of models, animations, voices, whatevers to put on Dota 2.

That's a very important thing to keep the community going and creative. I found it very hard to find info on source, you guys have so many outdated tools and many of them are actually made by fans to help create content for your games. The Source wiki is weak in terms of information and I think we need one of 2 things:

1) Easier tools for content creators (exporters, model viewers, model exporters, bla bla bla) working with the latest release of XSI, Maya, 3dMax...

or

2) A specific forum for us users discuss how to do those stuff so that it supplements the fact that we won't have updated tools and we can actually search by ourselves how to do stuff like creating a new hat for the Omniknight.

Right now to figure out how to export something out of dota 2 I had to install at least 5 or 6 different programs, I had to search in at least 3 different forums and 4 websites and blogs...

Please valve, make it easier for us to do stuff for you!

One example was that I spent the WHOLE day trying to figure out how to export things from the Dota 2 files to a workable Maya file because I wanted to see more or less how many polygons you guys use for omni's weapons, how are the bones set up so I could make a different cloak and things like that... And all I can say is: It was a PAIN!

I'm glad I love puzzles because that was a really difficult puzzle to solve, but I did it... And I plan on writing a tutorial for others to follow and do the same but, again, I don't have a specific forum to post that kind of stuff or to get help from people who are like-minded and more experienced. OK, OK you guys can say I have polycount, and it's a great website! But it's not specific! A Dota 2 or even Source Content Creators forum would be really, really AWESOME.

Some pictures of omniknight on maya 2012

http://i.imgur.com/J0tQC.jpg (http://imgur.com/J0tQC)

And a Bonus question:

As I'm actually a 3d animator and I've seen the Taunt button, will I be able to animate custom taunts and put them on the workshop? And PLEASE could you guys make it simple? I know I can find all the maya files for the characters in Team Fortress 2 already rigged and ready to animate on the Sourcesdk folder (which I have, actually. I animated the Soldier for a study I was doing), could we have something like that for Dota 2 if taunts do exist?

Jetamo
06-04-2012, 05:01 AM
Taunts do exist in the gamefiles already, Sand King has a little Periscope taunt, Kunkka has one where he takes out his spyglass, Juggernaut takes a bow and acts all awesome like, Nature's Prophet has a nice little jiggy dance.

ShiftOfParadigm
06-04-2012, 07:18 AM
+1

as a complete noob, how much time will it take till you can start to create somewhat ok'ish designs if you designate at least 2 hours daily to practice?

also, any good tutorials to recommend? i already bookmarked this (http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/). i need the complete care package since i know nothing of designing.
i did some model editing in world of warcraft but that was only replacing model files with new ones, no actual designing on my part.

Zhilo
06-04-2012, 07:36 AM
+1
I learn 3d modeling in my free time and a place to discuss things with other custom content creators would be really nice.
Also I have not seen it confirmed anywhere but I'm pretty sure that tools for creating and managing new content are on the way.
(Can't wait to finish my final exams and draw a couple of concepts:) )

Pbfamous
06-04-2012, 11:26 AM
completely agree this is going to be a huge part of the community and what better thing than make a real nice website for info, ideas, copywright :P +1

ChainReaction01
06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd definitely love an area where people can discuss modeling issues and ask for help - I have a basic grasp of 3D modeling but very little in-depth experience, and I'd love to know exactly how to create models for use in Dota 2. By muddling around and following a few different TF2 tutorials I've managed to get some... things... exporting into 3DSMAX, but I don't know what to do from here. Having a dedicated modeling forum in which to ask for help and discuss ideas would be a fantastic help, as opposed to trawling through Google for hours on end hoping to find that one forum post that will help you solve your issue.

Sitanoni
06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I'd love this too, I'm not an animator, cause I didnt have enough money to go to animation school, but im planing on doing so when i finish my current college. And ofc, then it will be time for dota 2model making :)

Vi3trice
06-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I'd love this too, I'm not an animator, cause I didnt have enough money to go to animation school, but im planing on doing so when i finish my current college. And ofc, then it will be time for dota 2model making :)

Why not go ahead and teach yourself?

Sitanoni
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Why not go ahead and teach yourself?

I will, but i dont have much time right now, when i finish my other obligations, i will, i already downloaded Blender on my pc

MashV
06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Someone knows how much polygons or details items should have? Or i can simply send the .obj file with the max resolution/polygons and then they scale/adapt it to the game?

jayjay
06-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Someone knows how much polygons or details items should have? Or i can simply send the .obj file with the max resolution/polygons and then they scale/adapt it to the game?

Just keep your items in the same count as TF2 hats or less. It is mentioned in the workshop FAQs. The less, the better overall.

On topic: I'm glad this person figured out everything. I'd love a dedicated forum on here or something somewhere at the very least. I think the workshop discussions are fairly messy and I'd like something cleaner like this.

Nemozini
06-06-2012, 11:44 PM

I think 250 for ingame and 500 for promotional stuff (lod0 and lod1 files). Might be less or larger. I suggest importing the item you wish to replace/modify and check how much polygons it has and start from there. For example , I think Drow's bow has around 750.

Noob here , discovering stuff myself , correct me if I'm wrong.

Raven
06-07-2012, 07:04 AM
+100 support this thread we need info to learn and improve, knownledment is power.

NemoStein
06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Ashkental, could you tell us how do you export the models?
The programs and workflow?

[Edit]

After some hours googling around I managed to export the files and open them in 3Ds Max.
This link (http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/) explain step-by-step the processes.
Read it and you'll be OK!

Long story short, you'll need:
- Alien Swarm SDK or CS:GO SDK (Alien Swarm SDK is free in Steam)
- CFGScape (http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26)
- StudioCompiler (http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.php?program=studiocompiler)
- Importer/Exporter plugin to your 3D program (here (http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/3dsmax.php) is for 3Ds Max)

Viperys
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I have spend 8 hours with zero previous knowledge of Blender and Source models format to make a simple custom animation like this:
http://i.imgur.com/85lKq.gif
So, bring it on.

Also, OP, how did you manage to get the import smd scripts to work with 64bit version of Maya? I tried to do this and failed miserably (the main reason why i'm animationg in Blender now). And more, can you give any not-so-obvious tips on how to animate?

newoldmail
06-09-2012, 05:54 AM
+1 I agree with most things said on this thread.

We definitely need a more up to date and coherent guide on how to create items for the Dota 2 Workshop.

There are many problems arising through the process described in many of this fan made blogs/sites/tutorials. Many questions unanswered that would cover multiple FAQs.
Also some new tools to streamline the process should be created by Valve and not depend on fan made solutions.
Example : a blender script with assorted executable, all made by your developers, included in a single zip file provided by you that streamlines the whole process, like mdl etc. compiler/decompilers created specifically by you with their assorted source code.

I do not believe such a huge money making portion of the game should be left unattended by such a mega corporation like you.
I believe you easily have the resources to hire 1 developer/community manager that focuses on tutorials, community help and streamlining the whole process from start to finish.