PDA

View Full Version : Custom Maps and Heroes

Jomz
06-08-2012, 04:06 AM
I wish we had custom maps, Just Like TF2 . Coz Repetitive gameplay is boring In Some Time in my opinion,
And Custom heroes that only work within the custom map....Thankss..

rasielll
06-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Sounds bad, but... ++++++!!!11 Think about private games! there will be map selection!

Jomz
06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
I forgot to mention :|

Those are for fun purposes only, :) , maybe theres only a little Battle points increase but not too big as normal game :)

and also, custom heroes with custom physical figure and skills :P but i think thats bad idea :| > , <

zinus
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
General easy to use moding tools can be beneficial on the long run.

Meh i started with the wc3 map editor when i was a kid, could do so only because it was (kinda) easy to use, after a year i could (and did) make scripted maps with all kinds of stuff that wasn't originally supported in wc3... now i',m in the software industry :o... and still goofing around with wc3.

so long story short, a general purpose modding tool that is user friendly can extend the life of game for quite some time. It has to be easy to use (to some extent) so youngsters/inexperienced people could handle it (ie. not be turned off by imba complexity).

But that said, it shouldn't be a primary concern now... however it would definately be a nice addition once the game launches.

Malvodion
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I wish we had custom maps, Just Like TF2 . Coz Repetitive gameplay is boring In Some Time in my opinion,
And Custom heroes that only work within the custom map....Thankss..

Do you even know what are you asking, or you just posted the first thing that apeared in your mind? Because it looks like you don't know what you even posted.
Custom heroes? you mean like making your own hero by picking a character and their abilities?.. But how would that even work in a game like Dota?
And making fuctional AoS maps, that aren't boring or simple is not easy at all. (I know, i've done it.)

Jomz
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Do you even know what are you asking, or you just posted the first thing that apeared in your mind? Because it looks like you don't know what you even posted.
Custom heroes? you mean like making your own hero by picking a character and their abilities?.. But how would that even work in a game like Dota?
And making fuctional AoS maps, that aren't boring or simple is not easy at all. (I know, i've done it.)

srry for my bad english, what i mean is custom maps and heroes, like dota omg custom map at Wc3 :|.. oR custom maps that like pyramid escapes,mafa TD , green circle.... something like that :| ...... srry if i post something offensive to you :|

@zinus , yep yep, hehe its not primary concern now :) .. theres a lot of good suggestions around there that can be useful to community :|

HODOR
06-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Community maps/heroes/etc would be great, no reason to vote no here. Of course they wouldn't be in the official game...

gpardini00
06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
it would be cool to have custom maps, to take advantage of the engine and port more familiar W3 mods like castlefight, tower defence and etc...
i would be soo happy to see that here, it would make dota not only the clasic game but also a much diverse experience... im sure even some people would start gettig and also playing dota becouse of the mods...

Malvodion
06-09-2012, 06:14 AM
EDIT: explaination of the "Custom Hero" for those who don't know:
The custom hero idea is very simple. First you pick a hero. After that you can pick your Q W E abilities from a list. Then, you pick your Ultimate (R). After this you can confirm that you are done, and wait until everyone is done picking. It's a very common thing is "Arena" maps (maps where 2 sides fight in a square/circle trying to get most kills/winning more duels to win.). It's fun but.. (read next part)

srry for my bad english, what i mean is custom maps and heroes, like dota omg custom map at Wc3 :|.. oR custom maps that like pyramid escapes,mafa TD , green circle.... something like that :| ...... srry if i post something offensive to you :|

@zinus , yep yep, hehe its not primary concern now :) .. theres a lot of good suggestions around there that can be useful to community :|
That's what I meant with my previous comment. "Custom Hero" doesn't work very well with the AoS (fyi aos = dota-like maps) format (the only map I know that worked is Hands of Sorrow Knight (http://www.hoskmap.com/), but even if the map is an aos, it works very different that dota.). In any case it would need to have completly new heroes and abilities, wich would be like making a new game.

it would be cool to have custom maps, to take advantage of the engine and port more familiar W3 mods like castlefight, tower defence and etc...
i would be soo happy to see that here, it would make dota not only the clasic game but also a much diverse experience... im sure even some people would start gettig and also playing dota becouse of the mods...
But Dota2 is not WC3. WC3 and it's editor allowed you to make those kind of maps, Dota only focuses on what it needs to work. To remake those other maps you would pretty much have to make a new game from scratch, emulating/remaking WC3. But i'm almost sure that valve can't/won't/doesn't want to do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------
In general, I don't say that the idea is bad (I'd actually love to see a map like "HoSK (http://www.hoskmap.com/)" made a full game.) but it won't work for DotA.

Dariath
06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I like the idea, but it would have to stay separate from the actual game. Also, you'd need to make sure the player base can handle being divided between customs and actual games. I don't think it will happen, and if it does it wouldn't be anytime soon. You'd have to have an infrastructure built to support it, along with an editor to create/import this content. They prolly have something like that they use personally, but I feel it would be a massive undertaking for a payout that other games handle just fine at the moment.

Cueball
06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I think something like the "arcade" section in StarCraft 2 would be a viable option for custom games

SaltyPete
06-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Dota Footman Frenzy would be the best thing ever.