PDA

View Full Version : Unexplored areas fog of war is indistinguishable from explored areas

JMStewy
11-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I have all graphics settings that can be turned down set to low. It is possible, though difficult, to distinguish darker areas of the fog of war on the minimap, but on the main screen there is no way to visually recognize unexplored areas.

Here's a screenshot from a practice game. The line is an estimate based on where I've walked and the fog on the minimap:
http://i.imgur.com/2D45l.jpg
Fog of war example (http://imgur.com/2D45l)

This matters primarily for heroes with blink or that farm blink daggers, as it's difficult to plan escapes while being chased or to tell where to explore in preparation for later in the game.

Ctrl_Alt_3lite
11-17-2011, 07:12 AM
I have graphics set to max and I still find this issue annoying. I see no reason why an area must be "explored" before you can port to it.

11-17-2011, 07:18 AM
need a color change. +1

@ctrlsomethingdude because! search the other thread and read.

meoronoid
11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
need a color change. +1

@ctrlsomethingdude because! search the other thread and read.
Yes , definitely a colour change !

DysfunktinaL
11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I have graphics set to max and I still find this issue annoying. I see no reason why an area must be "explored" before you can port to it.

I'm sure there is a valid reason why it was done like that originally, but I don't see a point in it either. The fact is that this is how DotA 1 is, and you'll have more people upset about a change like that instead of making the unexplored areas darker then natural fog.

Yuki3012
11-24-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm sure there is a valid reason why it was done like that originally, but I don't see a point in it either. The fact is that this is how DotA 1 is, and you'll have more people upset about a change like that instead of making the unexplored areas darker then natural fog.

It's a balance issue.

GuineaPiet
11-24-2011, 06:49 AM
It's a balance issue.

Sorry but I'm going to have to call BS on that, so by taking a minute to walk all over the map magically removes that balance issue? Storm Spirit can ulti to wherever he pleases, isnt it a balance issue for him too?

The fact is that this is how DotA 1 is, and you'll have more people upset about a change like that instead of making the unexplored areas darker then natural fog.

I find this as a terrible excuse too... If this is thrown at every suggestion then there was no point in moving away from the original Warcraft 3 engine in the first place. The fact that some total fanboys cant accept a little change shouldnt affect a suggestion, whether that suggestion is valid or not is what should determine it. I can't imagine why someone would complain about having the blink thing removed. They removed the thing where if you click beyond maximum range, you dont blink the maximum range. I don't see people b1tching about that?

Deargodalion
11-24-2011, 10:00 PM
It's a balance issue.
I fail to see how, if he wanted to be able to blink to the areas then I could see it being potentially imbalanced, but just to see where he can blink in a a second without possible dieing because unexplored areas? That isn't balance in my opinion, may be a bit of work to implement, but I don't think it would unbalance anything.

BenSkysong
11-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Supporting this. It's something that the dev should look into indeed. Preferably as soon as possible as it could affect tournaments too.

akiwash
11-25-2011, 02:49 AM
yea there should me minimal difference between them

Sosseres
11-25-2011, 03:27 AM
I support this as well, died to it twice, couldn't tell I couldn't blink there.

It is a balance consideration. For multiple reasons, including the following I can think of directly:

It makes certain movement skills better than others since they can go places the other can't (yet).
It means Furion can't TP into your base and kill your courier at level 1 without having help from another hero or using a flying courier to scout.
It gives map control more value, if you stop the opponent from exploring up the stairs in the middle into scourge jungle you can once use that to get safely away when you otherwise wouldn't against some heroes.

There is bound to be more balance considerations concerning it. Those three are just the ones I can instantly think of.

rabidch
11-25-2011, 06:01 PM
yes please.

stevenfucker
11-27-2011, 08:03 AM
+1

Bluspring00
11-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Totally agree with OP, so +1

Lanttu
11-29-2011, 06:47 AM
+1

Distinguishing visited are from nonvisited is pretty much impossible.

DiGodKolya
11-29-2011, 07:26 AM
+1

Sheriff
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi my name is furion

I hit lvl 2 but a scroll of town portal wait for you to go to lane tleeport in your base kill structures of easy gold kill your courier teleport back

problem?

akaHideinlight
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I support this as well, died to it twice, couldn't tell I couldn't blink there.

It is a balance consideration. For multiple reasons, including the following I can think of directly:

It makes certain movement skills better than others since they can go places the other can't (yet).
It means Furion can't TP into your base and kill your courier at level 1 without having help from another hero or using a flying courier to scout.
It gives map control more value, if you stop the opponent from exploring up the stairs in the middle into scourge jungle you can once use that to get safely away when you otherwise wouldn't against some heroes.

There is bound to be more balance considerations concerning it. Those three are just the ones I can instantly think of.

Would rather have no TP zones. There's a few places wards can't be placed even if you had explored it, why can't the same be done for blink and furion teleport. Might keep it the same for now, but some day DOTA2 is gonna have to completely move away from 6.27 and warcraft III.