PDA

View Full Version : Issues with big trees

pjlworld
11-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Sorry for the small font, I'd put in the effort of making it look better but it's kind of a hassle to take screenshots in DotA2 because there's no feature for it (afaik).

http://i.imgur.com/mFR2f.jpg

Here's what it reads:
> The highlighted tree is so tall that it makes it very difficult for the small tree above to be clicked (circle in red).
> When a player does make the mistake of clicking the small tree, he/she will fail in almost all angles possible in shown example. Not only that, the hero will move in a less than desirable path to conusme the highlighted tree (as shown in yellow arrow).

Here's another:
http://i.imgur.com/50uyU.jpg

> Another example. This big, tall tree blocks the player from clicking the small one next to it (circled in red).
> Again, it sucks because to consume this tree, the hero has to go all the way around to do it (as shown in yellow arrow).

My suspicion so far is that these small trees are in fact, (old) Bounty Hunter in reality. \_(ツ)_/

Diabolic
11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
A small bit higher cast range on Tangoo's is what needed.

Durub
11-23-2011, 01:18 AM
About taking screenshots, I think can you can press F12 and it will take one and store for later.
Anyway, nice topics you have there! With a lot of images and explanations. Good job!

dsdf
11-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh goodness i thought i was the only one annoyed with all the weird tree sizes

Inskipp
11-23-2011, 01:56 AM
I think the hit box for targeting the trees should reside on the root of the tree-model. Right now it detects the entire model and bases off your targeting upon that regard, which causes the problem you've described.

I've experienced this problem several times when using tangos and has affected how I choose the trees I consume, when it would be much more convenient/practical if you could just pick the nearest tree in vicinity, without worrying about hit box- proximity.

pjlworld
11-23-2011, 05:23 AM
A small bit higher cast range on Tangoo's is what needed.
A higher cast range on tango would not solve anything, hahah.

I will try the F12 in the future screenshots, and thanks for the props. Hopefully devs can figure out an effective way to resolve this.

DysfunktinaL
11-23-2011, 09:26 PM
A higher cast range on tango would not solve anything, hahah.

I will try the F12 in the future screenshots, and thanks for the props. Hopefully devs can figure out an effective way to resolve this.

Not true. It would allow you to eat the bigger tree from farther away. This won't solve the problem of having a hard time targeting the smaller tree, but will solve your overall problem of not being able to just quickly click on any tree in that area and not caring which one you actually eat.

dsdf
11-24-2011, 12:24 PM
The problem I'm having is that i have trouble clicking around the different trees when I'm trying to juke.

pjlworld
11-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Not true. It would allow you to eat the bigger tree from farther away. This won't solve the problem of having a hard time targeting the smaller tree, but will solve your overall problem of not being able to just quickly click on any tree in that area and not caring which one you actually eat.
Ah, I see. A bandage still, as you implied.

Timbonator
11-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I had the same problems some times, where the hero suddenly walked the wrong path then I intended. I like the diversity in tree sizes though because it gives it a realistic feeling, so I wouldn't exactly know how to resolve this effectively.

edit: Maybe they should make the tree trunk get priority when targeting trees. This way little twitches of a bigger tree won't block the possibility to target the smaller tree.

playdead
11-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah this should be fixed, the mouseover boundaries on Dire trees are all messed up.

Lanttu
11-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Agreed, too big trees are a problem. Not only do they annoy when you try to eat the tree, they might even make you die when you try to juke your enemies.

Played a game earlier where I would have surived with Dragon Knight when 3 enemies where following me but died because a smaller tree was completely hidden by a bigger one. Thus I couldn't eat it and instead hero went completely different way (back to the enemies) to eat the bigger tree. Place is a little bit to the right from the bottom neutral creep from bottom Radiant lane and below is a picture the tree I mean. In game described I couldn't even see the tree because my screen wasn't scrolled as "high" as in picture. Go to that exact place and scroll screen down a little and you'll see.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2171/dota0003t.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/dota0003t.jpg/)

Dustbin
11-30-2011, 03:03 PM
This is a pretty big problem, some of the trees are nigh impossible to target.

Scheefe
12-04-2011, 07:08 AM
I've died so many times trying to juke with tangos / quelblade, because its impossible to target some tree's

bOne7
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah , this needs to be fixed as well , sure you can have variety in design , but having one huge one near a small one is not nice ...

Esteban
12-05-2011, 03:29 PM
clicking the wrong tree happened all the time in Dota 1 but if they change this, juking with tangos will become much easier. Not sure if I support this.

Supa
12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
clicking the wrong tree happened all the time in Dota 1 but if they change this, juking with tangos will become much easier. Not sure if I support this.

Actually it was easier in Dota 1. Because you just had to click directly on the three, but in Dota 2 some of the trees seem to have too big selection boxes making some of them impossible to target without playing around with the camera.

bOne7
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Those big tree actually discourage tree eating jukes... Fix them pls!!

reverb25
12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I've made an album that shows the cursor.

http://imgur.com/a/QzvXX

Even with that huge tree chopped down, you still have problems cutting that specific tree.

bitspirit224
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
+1

RedSword
12-07-2011, 12:43 AM
+1

boieru
12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
+1.

Trees should be clickable at their root. This should make it ok for tango juking.

12-07-2011, 10:03 AM
+1

i face this issue a lot as well..

Redfiercare
12-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I saw a picture that shows tree hitboxes extending in every direction that the upper branches extend, and having that be the hitbox. At said already, the solution would be to have tree hitboxes only encompass the tree trunk or root structure. Perhaps make the tree hitboxes more uniform?

Timbonator
01-25-2012, 03:29 AM
After last patch, I have the idea that they improved the hitbox on trees. Suddenly I am able to target a small tree which is located behind a bigger tree. Does anyone else have the same feeling or have I gone crazy?

Altf4
01-25-2012, 07:21 AM
This needs to be looked at!

+1

VeRychard
02-15-2012, 05:33 AM
I dont know whether you got into this, but sometimes when I hover a tree and press my "tango slot" hotkey it immediately eats the tree, sometimes it just activates , and I have to select the tree I wanna eat. I havent found another thread about it, thought sharing here :)

Kerdy
02-16-2012, 09:32 AM
I think the hit box for targeting the trees should reside on the root of the tree-model.

I strongly agree with this. That would make trees much easier to target and you could still use a realistic looking variety of tree models. +1

Berra_la
02-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Couldn't agree more. I've just been too lazy to start a topic about this but I definitely have been annoyed by this quite often. It gets me killed trying to juke, makes me waste precious seconds trying to target trees etc.

The best solution would be to simply make targeting trees only possible on the ground. Height shouldn't matter. If I click a spot, I want to eat the tree blocking that spot, not 200 units below because some other tree is in the way.

KevinCorporation
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes, yes, yes.
These trees sizes or at least, the click-box of the trees are really wacky.
I can never eat the tree I want to when carving out a juke spot because of this.
+1

Zerei
02-18-2012, 08:12 AM
actually in DotA 1 it didnt happend so often... the amount of huge trees here is bigger also the are not blocking smaller ones

hoh0
02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
+1, tree size variation is nice, but please change hitbox to the tree's trunk, or anything that is consistent across all trees

chrisfrh
02-26-2012, 05:17 PM
+1 fix