Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

Does this mean bots are being worked on ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does this mean bots are being worked on ?

    Hey guys, just found out while editing npc_heroes.txt that some heroes have abillity and item build order for bots.
    eg: Morphling, Huskar, Puck etc...
    Check the file yourself.

    So does this mean bots are being worked on and will be released after a few updates ?
    If thats so, then thats just awesome.

  • #2
    All bots will be released anyway. But not after few updated.
    Much...
    Much later...

    Comment


    • #3
      They've been there for months, they seem to be most remnants of when he was testing hero general AI, so at a stage in which he hadn't yet taught them how to use abilities etc. and just had a load of bots doing passive laning to optimize such behaviours.
      The item builds and skill builds are often terrible, as you can see.

      So no, I don't believe this is any indication of them being worked on. Item and skill builds are something you can throw together in 5 minutes anyhow, so I feel this work is very much redundant anyhow.
      Supposedly it is still the plan to release all bots, but nobody even knows just when the next bot is gonna be released let alone when we're gonna have the complete roster.


      Going by past weeks, I think that ChrisC can quite easily finish up 2 heroes in a single week if he focuses on that (depends on ability complexity of course), there was 1 patch where he added something like Omniknight and Lion, and then that same week you could see some work having been done to Bounty Hunter bot info, who was released the subsequent week. So apparently that week he almost managed to complete 3 bots, I think the main reason BH wasn't released at the same time as the other 2 was due to an AI revamp in regards to dealing with invisibility, cause I think we all know how they usually just use an invis rune to get a free last hit.
      So I believe the rate of bot release can be very fast if he focuses on that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Arxos View Post
        I think the main reason BH wasn't released at the same time as the other 2 was due to an AI revamp in regards to dealing with invisibility, cause I think we all know how they usually just use an invis rune to get a free last hit.
        As far as I remember, they introduced a new roaming system with that patch. Maybe you missed it, because the bots still never gank effectively, but I remember reading something like this in the patchlog.
        Originally posted by biejis
        I PLAY SUPP AND SHOW WARD ALLGAME, PEOPLE NOT LEARN NOT CHANGE, PLAY DOTA FOR LOSE A GAME

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Karyoplasma View Post
          As far as I remember, they introduced a new roaming system with that patch. Maybe you missed it, because the bots still never gank effectively, but I remember reading something like this in the patchlog.
          Well yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was something done to improve BH's AI anyhow.
          None of the other bots really NEED to roam/gank to get the most out of their heroes in all games, where as a BH should really always roam and gank regardless of the game. Arguably Tiny should do it as well though, as he's being played in a mid-ganker style, which in my opinion is rather outdated, his Aghanim's makes him too powerful of a carry to play as a ganker and risk getting underfarmed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by blabla21 View Post
            Hey guys, just found out while editing npc_heroes.txt that some heroes have abillity and item build order for bots.
            eg: Morphling, Huskar, Puck etc...
            Check the file yourself.

            So does this mean bots are being worked on and will be released after a few updates ?
            If thats so, then thats just awesome.
            oh, so pointless thread?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by frankles View Post
              oh, so pointless thread?
              Sssh, we need to keep this section above 5 posts per day, don't complain.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Arxos View Post
                They've been there for months, they seem to be most remnants of when he was testing hero general AI, so at a stage in which he hadn't yet taught them how to use abilities etc. and just had a load of bots doing passive laning to optimize such behaviours.
                The item builds and skill builds are often terrible, as you can see.

                So no, I don't believe this is any indication of them being worked on. Item and skill builds are something you can throw together in 5 minutes anyhow, so I feel this work is very much redundant anyhow.
                Supposedly it is still the plan to release all bots, but nobody even knows just when the next bot is gonna be released let alone when we're gonna have the complete roster.


                Going by past weeks, I think that ChrisC can quite easily finish up 2 heroes in a single week if he focuses on that (depends on ability complexity of course), there was 1 patch where he added something like Omniknight and Lion, and then that same week you could see some work having been done to Bounty Hunter bot info, who was released the subsequent week. So apparently that week he almost managed to complete 3 bots, I think the main reason BH wasn't released at the same time as the other 2 was due to an AI revamp in regards to dealing with invisibility, cause I think we all know how they usually just use an invis rune to get a free last hit.
                So I believe the rate of bot release can be very fast if he focuses on that.
                Well, maybe if its possible to put some Hard-Carries like Morphling,AM and others same logic as its coded for others (eg:Viper, Sniper etc...) ?
                eg: Farming a lane which is pushed to your tower, harassing and using skills when setup is good etc...

                Something like that until they have their own 'unique' AI perhaps ?

                Originally posted by frankles View Post
                oh, so pointless thread?
                Oh, look a pointless post, sod off.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by blabla21 View Post
                  Well, maybe if its possible to put some Hard-Carries like Morphling,AM and others same logic as its coded for others (eg:Viper, Sniper etc...) ?
                  eg: Farming a lane which is pushed to your tower, harassing and using skills when setup is good etc...

                  Something like that until they have their own 'unique' AI perhaps ?
                  There lies the problem with your suggestion.

                  You can apply the basic farming and laning logic to every bot you wish by flagging the bot as implemented. It's a single line in the npc_heroes.txt. The basic logic is bound to the hero role, so if you tag AM as a support, he will buy wards and let you lasthit and if you tag him as hard carry, he will adjust his playstyle accordingly.
                  The only problem you got to release another bot is the logic that let's him use his skillset. I assume, you could just use a dummy logic like "Hey bot, just blow your ult on the first hero you see, k?" but what gives? Might as well release no bot instead of a shitty one.
                  Originally posted by biejis
                  I PLAY SUPP AND SHOW WARD ALLGAME, PEOPLE NOT LEARN NOT CHANGE, PLAY DOTA FOR LOSE A GAME

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by blabla21 View Post
                    Well, maybe if its possible to put some Hard-Carries like Morphling,AM and others same logic as its coded for others (eg:Viper, Sniper etc...) ?
                    eg: Farming a lane which is pushed to your tower, harassing and using skills when setup is good etc...

                    Something like that until they have their own 'unique' AI perhaps ?



                    Oh, look a pointless post, sod off.
                    Pointless post? More like wanting actual threads that contribute to dota 2 development rather than spamming forums with pointless threads.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Karyoplasma View Post
                      There lies the problem with your suggestion.

                      You can apply the basic farming and laning logic to every bot you wish by flagging the bot as implemented. It's a single line in the npc_heroes.txt. The basic logic is bound to the hero role, so if you tag AM as a support, he will buy wards and let you lasthit and if you tag him as hard carry, he will adjust his playstyle accordingly.
                      The only problem you got to release another bot is the logic that let's him use his skillset. I assume, you could just use a dummy logic like "Hey bot, just blow your ult on the first hero you see, k?" but what gives? Might as well release no bot instead of a shitty one.
                      Ok, thanks for the info.

                      Originally posted by frankles View Post
                      Pointless post? More like wanting actual threads that contribute to dota 2 development rather than spamming forums with pointless threads.
                      First of all, this is my first thread in this section so if you think this thread is pointless don't post on it, because if you post on it, your bumping it and then complaining how pointless this is.
                      Besides, i created this thread to get information are bots being worked on or not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do you guys realise that Valve wants to make a similar bot system, like in L4D2 when a player leaves, a bot will automatically join? So yes. But i don't think it will come out in a few updates, because coding AI is pretty much hard.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by blabla21 View Post
                          Ok, thanks for the info.



                          First of all, this is my first thread in this section so if you think this thread is pointless don't post on it, because if you post on it, your bumping it and then complaining how pointless this is.
                          Besides, i created this thread to get information are bots being worked on or not.
                          I'm telling you its pointless so you don't make threads like this anymore.

                          This section is for bugs. This thread belongs in misc, along with a bunch of other pointless threads.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KiLerZolika View Post
                            Do you guys realise that Valve wants to make a similar bot system, like in L4D2 when a player leaves, a bot will automatically join?
                            That would be the end of the game. I'd rather play 4v5 than with a feeder.
                            Originally posted by biejis
                            I PLAY SUPP AND SHOW WARD ALLGAME, PEOPLE NOT LEARN NOT CHANGE, PLAY DOTA FOR LOSE A GAME

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Karyoplasma View Post
                              That would be the end of the game. I'd rather play 4v5 than with a feeder.
                              Kind of sad truth. The thing is that no matter how good bots get, people that are experienced with bots will be able to just play with their AI and make them feed anyhow. I suppose if they make them only reward like 1/3rd the gold/XP, it'd become not even worth the time though, so perhaps that'd work? Haha.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X