Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

Miss chance stacking seems to be additive?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miss chance stacking seems to be additive?

    Wiki resources (source 1)(source 2) seem to suggest that miss chance stacking is multiplicative, but personal tests and anecdotes from various video sources seem to suggest that it is in fact additive.

    WiredGuitars first brought this phenomenon to my attention in a video regarding the interaction between Pre-7.06 Solar Crest, Broodmother's Incapaciting Bite, and Radiance.



    From 0:00 to 0:40, Sven is unable to hit Broodmother.

    Math:
    Code:
    Numbers used:
    
    Incapaciting Bite Lv4 : 60%
    Radiance : 17%
    Solar Crest (old) : 25%
    
    
    Additive stacking:
    
    60+17+25 = 102%
    
    Multiplicative stacking:
    
    (1-0.6)*(1-0.17)*(1-0.25) = 0.249, or approx. 25% hit chance, or approx. 75% miss chance.
    This video *suggests* that miss chance may be additive rather than multiplicative.

    --

    Additional personal tests:


    test starts at 1:05, video begins with explanation

    In an effort to surpass 100% miss chance but stay as close as possible to it, these miss chances were used:
    Code:
    Numbers used:
    Incapaciting Bite Lv3 : 50%
    Radiance : 17%
    Smoke Cloud Lv1 : 40%
    
    Additive stacking:
    
    50+17+40 = 107%
    
    Multiplicative stacking:
    
    (1-0.5)*(1-0.17)*(1-0.4) = 0.249 (coincidentally the same number), or approx. 25% hit chance, or approx. 75% miss chance.
    --

    A peer speculated that perhaps the phenomenon lay with Broodmother, Radiance, and/or old Solar Crest in particular.

    In an attempt to dispute this, I produced another clip, this time using Brewmaster and Riki.


    test starts at 0:40, video begins with explanation & clarification that riki clouds do not stack with themselves

    Code:
    Numbers used:
    Drunken Haze : 70%
    Smoke Cloud Lv1 : 40%
    
    Additive stacking:
    
    70+40 = 110%
    
    Multiplicative stacking:
    
    (1-0.7)*(1-0.4) = 0.18 (noticeably smaller than 0.249), or approx. 82% miss chance.
    In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have re-used Smoke Cloud.

    --

    Can anybody confirm if miss chance stacking is working as intended, is a lack of parity between DotA 1 and DOTA 2, the formula is simply incorrect, a bug, or something else?
Working...
X