Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

PERMANENT BAN (MAC ADDRESS SO THEY NEED TO CHANGE MOTHERBOARD)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PERMANENT BAN (MAC ADDRESS SO THEY NEED TO CHANGE MOTHERBOARD)

    Hi
    I got a quick question regarding people who need to be banned permanently..

    Match ID: 2502283034

    Silencer is AFK from start
    Comes back 4 mins later or something like that, right cliks on me (Tiny) and goes afk again.. I go forward lane to farm, didn't notice he is on follow mode, he dies.. I ask to be reported. He jumps and starts acting shitty (sorry), saying he gon' feed. Ruins our game, like totally.. CAPTAIN'S MODE, and he afk's..

    So.. Is there a way to ban these guys permanently, put their MAC address to the ban list, so they won't be able to join games, like EVER, in their lifetimes?
    I mean he INTENTIONALLY ruined my game, and we had it, we had that win.

    Low prio is not enough for people like him.

    Can you please do something about this case, and other cases such as this?
    Thank you.

    P.S.
    Sorry for posting this here, couldn't find an appropirate section to ask this question.

    P.P.S.
    Yes, he is reported, from all the players in the Rad team, and probably (not sure though), from Dire.
    But I know it won't cut it.

  • #2
    Originally posted by zharko4jc View Post
    Hi
    I got a quick question regarding people who need to be banned permanently..

    Match ID: 2502283034

    Silencer is AFK from start
    Comes back 4 mins later or something like that, right cliks on me (Tiny) and goes afk again.. I go forward lane to farm, didn't notice he is on follow mode, he dies.. I ask to be reported. He jumps and starts acting shitty (sorry), saying he gon' feed. Ruins our game, like totally.. CAPTAIN'S MODE, and he afk's..

    So.. Is there a way to ban these guys permanently, put their MAC address to the ban list, so they won't be able to join games, like EVER, in their lifetimes?
    I mean he INTENTIONALLY ruined my game, and we had it, we had that win.

    Low prio is not enough for people like him.

    Can you please do something about this case, and other cases such as this?
    Thank you.

    P.S.
    Sorry for posting this here, couldn't find an appropirate section to ask this question.

    P.P.S.
    Yes, he is reported, from all the players in the Rad team, and probably (not sure though), from Dire.
    But I know it won't cut it.
    You can easily change your MAC address though. Just so you know.
    https://soundcloud.com/blinkingriki182

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BlinkingRiki182 View Post
      You can easily change your MAC address though. Just so you know.
      You don't need to change them. They change automatically when the ethernet frames jump from one network into another. They are just used per network.

      So bans based on MAC addresses would only work within a single network. And I don't think Valve uses the MAC addresses at all.

      And you don't have to change the motherboard. Just install another NIC and you should be fine.
      Last edited by wolf633; 07-14-2016, 03:32 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wolf633 View Post
        You don't need to change them. They change automatically when the ethernet frames jump from one network into another. They are just used per network.

        So bans based on MAC addresses would only work within a single network. And I don't think Valve uses the MAC addresses at all.

        And you don't have to change the motherboard. Just install another NIC and you should be fine.
        Each card has an unique MAC address assigned that cannot be "changed" (in some cases it's embedded in the network card's ROM and in some cases is embedded in the drivers). The thing is, regardless of network card hardware capabilities, you can change the MAC that is encapsulated in the TCP or the UDP packet (MAC spoof). Your MAC address doesn't change when you change networks.
        Last edited by BlinkingRiki182; 07-14-2016, 03:51 AM.
        https://soundcloud.com/blinkingriki182

        Comment


        • #5
          MAC address is only used in your local network but it is still unique. It is not networked into the internet (just by communicating with a website they won't have your MAC address). But if you have their programs installed they can extract the information from your PC and send it to themselves. There are other hardwares (CPU, SSD, graphic card) in your rig that probably have a unique identifier.

          Whether you should do hardware bans or not is another topic in itself. Valve chose not to do it. And there are good reasons for it. What if your hardware is banned because a cheater spoofed your HWID by chance?
          James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
          * 25.02.16 - † 26.02.16
          Spoiler: 


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BlinkingRiki182 View Post
            Each card has an unique MAC address assigned that cannot be "changed" (in some cases it's embedded in the network card's ROM and in some cases is embedded in the drivers). The thing is, regardless of network card hardware capabilities, you can change the MAC that is encapsulated in the TCP or the UDP packet (MAC spoof). Your MAC address doesn't change when you change networks.
            It does change. Both the src and dst MAC addresses; every time a frame or ip packet passes a router. It's used for per network communication, as I already said. For example if you have L2 switches in the next network and you don't change the MAC, those switches would be unable to continue sending the packets.

            MAC spoofing won't help you "pass" those bans. Because Valve Software would read your actual NIC's MAC address and put it into another Layer, for example in a TCP packet. And spoofing only changes the ethernet frame header.
            Last edited by wolf633; 07-14-2016, 04:31 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wolf633 View Post
              It does change. Both the src and dst MAC addresses; every time a frame or ip packet passes a router. It's used for per network communication, as I already said. For example if you have L2 switches in the next network and you don't change the MAC, those switches would be unable to continue sending the packets.

              MAC spoofing won't help you "pass" those bans. Because Valve Software would read your actual NIC's MAC address and put it into another Layer, for example in a TCP packet. And spoofing only changes the ethernet frame header.
              If your NIC driver allows that, you can change the MAC at driver level thus the Valve Software will read the "spoofed" MAC. Furthermore, you can always monitor outgoing traffic and manipulate the TCP packets created by said software and inject the spoofed MAC, even if the drivers of your network card do support changing the MAC.

              L2 switches do use MAC address tables to pass the traffic around. That doesn't mean that your local MAC "changes", it doesn't (it "changes" for outside observers that are not in your network e.g. not behind your router). Outside observers can't get your MAC in this case anyway because they will get the MAC of the router (by scanning your internet IP). The way they can get it is, as you've said, if your machine sends it to them (e.g. Valve Software).
              Last edited by BlinkingRiki182; 07-14-2016, 05:07 AM.
              https://soundcloud.com/blinkingriki182

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BlinkingRiki182 View Post
                If your NIC driver allows that, you can change the MAC at driver level thus the Valve Software will read the "spoofed" MAC. Furthermore, you can always monitor outgoing traffic and manipulate the TCP packets created by said software and inject the spoofed MAC, even if the drivers of your network card do support changing the MAC.

                L2 switches do use MAC address tables to pass the traffic around. That doesn't mean that your local MAC "changes", it doesn't (it "changes" for outside observers that are not in your network e.g. not behind your router). Outside observers can't get your MAC in this case anyway because they will get the MAC of the router (by scanning your internet IP). The way they can get it is, as you've said, if your machine sends it to them (e.g. Valve Software).
                Just to be clear.

                I meant that your local MAC (src) changes in the ethernet frame header to the router's MAC every time a router is passed.

                If you for example serialize an object that contains a string member which contains your local MAC Address and send it via TCP, then this one won't change.

                And yes, spoofing on driver basis is the "best". Unless Valve Software writes their own NIC drivers and uses them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wolf633 View Post
                  Just to be clear.

                  I meant that your local MAC (src) changes in the ethernet frame header to the router's MAC every time a router is passed.

                  If you for example serialize an object that contains a string member which contains your local MAC Address and send it via TCP, then this one won't change.

                  And yes, spoofing on driver basis is the "best". Unless Valve Software writes their own NIC drivers and uses them.
                  Once again, the problem here is terminology and nothing else. I refer to "your local MAC" as the MAC that you use in your own network. From your perspective and the perspective of the people that reside in your network, your MAC doesn't change, from the perspective of outside observers (not behind your router), your MAC changes but I wouldn't refer to the src MAC in the MAC tables of other routers (not your own) as "local MAC". Let's say your local IP is 198.168.0.2, do you say that your local IP changes for people that get traffic from you, who are outside of your network? They get the internet IP assigned to your router. In the same manner, people can trace "your" MAC by scanning "your" internet IP and they'll get the MAC of your router. They'll just hop through all nodes to the final source MAC, that of your router. They'll get a pretty useless MAC if they get it from the ethernet frame header of the traffic they receive from you, that makes zero sense.
                  Last edited by BlinkingRiki182; 07-14-2016, 06:16 AM.
                  https://soundcloud.com/blinkingriki182

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The MAC would be a fairly strong unique identifier it the client can read it, but if it's reading things at that hardware level there's also often CPUID's and other such on modern hardware
                    Last edited by phormix; 03-17-2017, 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It really does seem that some people are completely unphased by the current system. Really, even if you DO end up getting somebody low-prio'ed, that just means they have problems getting into a game quickly. So they go slow, but meanwhile they still can ruin games for 4-7 people at a time depending on how bad they're screwing things up.

                      A lot of dedicated a-holes really don't care, they'll just sit around and do whatever until they get into their low-prio games, and possibly behave for a bit until it's time to troll again. A hardware/userid specific, long-term BAN would be an improvement for the game for everyone.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X