Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

Patch Anticipation Station

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Jan2011 View Post
    How do you implement a ladder, w/o hurting the community to much?
    • Three modes: Ranked, Unranked, and Low Priority Unranked.
    • Muted players cannot play in Ranked mode while they're muted.
    • Unranked queue is the same as we have now.
    • Initial Ranked queue estimate is based off your "old" MMR (current one) or your Unranked MMR if you joined after that.
    • Ranked queue works exactly the same as Starcraft II.
    • Multiple leagues based on MMR percentile - bronze / silver / gold / platinum / diamond / master is what SC2 uses.
    • One extra "pro" league at the top (SC2 calls it Grandmaster) that contains the top 200 people or so.
    • Each league is randomly split into divisions of 100 people.
    • Your rank in your current league is visible on your profile (something like Diamond #1).
    • When you win a game, you get some points. When you lose a game, you lose some. The amount you win / lose is scaled according to difficulty of opponents.
    • Your rank within the division is decided by your number of points. It doesn't have anything to do with MMR.
    • Every few months, players' leagues are recalculated and everyone goes back to the bottom of their new division with 0 points.
    • If you don't play for a while, your rank goes down because everyone else is overtaking you (but remember, your MMR doesn't change).
    • The leagues of everyone in your match are displayed on the loading screen.
    • If you're doing substantially better than anyone else in your league, it's entirely possible to be matched with people from a different league - same way you can be matched with someone in Very High if you're in Normal. Brackets are purely visual.


    That seems like a fairly good idea to me. It gives endless progression without a sense of stagnation, it gives information about player skill without an exact value, it will display a similar league for everyone in your game the majority of the time (resulting in less flaming) unless you're at the top / bottom of your league, it encourages people to keep playing, and it helps separate "tryhard" players from the serious ones.
    Please help keep the forums clean by reporting rude or abusive posts!
    Got a problem? PM me or another moderator!
    Forum Rules

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Noya View Post
      This thread.

      Is The best.
      Jesus Christ... I just spent about an hour reading the comments in the thread in /r/leagueoflegends and I feel so bad for them. I didn't realize they had it so bad. I generally thought LoL players were happy with their game but it really looks like 90% of them are upset with how bad the client is and how stagnant and boring the game is. Valve and Icefrog just gained a little more respect from me. I've always held Valve at a generally high position since all their games are amazing but I never knew it was this bad until I read that thread.

      Also I agree 100% with DarkLite. Enough with this "a ladder system will hurt the community".

      It's kind of BS. Have separate "leagues". I think the only thing Starcraft 2 did right was their ranked system.

      Although I honestly have no doubt we will get a ladder/ranked system...



      eventually...
      ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give FORUM RULES
      OKAY, HERE!
      ノ( ◕ _ ◕ノ)

      If you have a problem, PM me or another moderator!

      Comment


      • lol mod fight?

        Also I agree 100% with DarkLite. Enough with this "a ladder system will hurt the community".
        as long as the current report system stays, jerks will report anyone and anything thats not on a tree by 3.
        ^and this is the other problem, we need to face

        The current system has some miss conceptions:
        1. Players dont know why there were reported
        2. Players dont know how much ppl reported him and in what span of time
        3. Players feel, that they are reported for no reason
        (and the list goes on and on and on just some quick thoughts)

        i would really like to have a try for the opt in feature (into the in game chat) just to see how many ppl actual need an in game chat.



        or something similar to the tribunal system but i cant see how that would end in dota2 tbh.
        Last edited by Jan2011; 11-18-2013, 03:07 AM.
        If you find spelling errors, you are free to take them.

        Comment


        • *grabs popcorn*

          I think brackets/MMR percentile (bronze, silver, gold, ...) is what Dota 2 needs. I am not a fan of displaying absolute MMR value (because it will be about comparing virtual phallus sizes) but that is my personal opinion. Having an idea where I am roughly standing is something many players want to know.

          That is the only thing I truly feel is lacking. Sure there could be custom map support, more heroes etc.
          But I think having some sort of indicator where I am standing is a basic and necessary feature.
          James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
          * 25.02.16 - † 26.02.16
          Spoiler: 


          Comment


          • Originally posted by DarkLite View Post
            • Three modes: Ranked, Unranked, and Low Priority Unranked.
            • Muted players cannot play in Ranked mode while they're muted.
            • Unranked queue is the same as we have now.
            • Initial Ranked queue estimate is based off your "old" MMR (current one) or your Unranked MMR if you joined after that.
            • Ranked queue works exactly the same as Starcraft II.
            • Multiple leagues based on MMR percentile - bronze / silver / gold / platinum / diamond / master is what SC2 uses.
            • One extra "pro" league at the top (SC2 calls it Grandmaster) that contains the top 200 people or so.
            • Each league is randomly split into divisions of 100 people.
            • Your rank in your current league is visible on your profile (something like Diamond #1).
            • When you win a game, you get some points. When you lose a game, you lose some. The amount you win / lose is scaled according to difficulty of opponents.
            • Your rank within the division is decided by your number of points. It doesn't have anything to do with MMR.
            • Every few months, players' leagues are recalculated and everyone goes back to the bottom of their new division with 0 points.
            • If you don't play for a while, your rank goes down because everyone else is overtaking you (but remember, your MMR doesn't change).
            • The leagues of everyone in your match are displayed on the loading screen.
            • If you're doing substantially better than anyone else in your league, it's entirely possible to be matched with people from a different league - same way you can be matched with someone in Very High if you're in Normal. Brackets are purely visual.


            That seems like a fairly good idea to me. It gives endless progression without a sense of stagnation, it gives information about player skill without an exact value, it will display a similar league for everyone in your game the majority of the time (resulting in less flaming) unless you're at the top / bottom of your league, it encourages people to keep playing, and it helps separate "tryhard" players from the serious ones.
            This makes too much sense, so we must rule it out.
            Spoiler: 

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jan2011 View Post
              lol mod fight?
              This going to be worth to watch.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jan2011 View Post
                How do you implement a ladder, w/o hurting the community to much?
                It must be done, for the greater good. Sure it may hurt many, but the ones who give up on the game instead of trying to improve are hardly worth entertaining in the first place. I consider myself to be a decent player, probably in the top 50% of players. If there was a ladder system implemented tomorrow, and I found out that my percentile is actually way below 50%, I would work my way up instead of flaming Valve for introducing the system.

                However, it is to be noted that when players can see eachothers' rankings, there may be discrimination amongst them. To remove any such problems, disable a player from looking up his teammates' ranks during a game. After the game, the game summary can show the rankings of each individual player. Since the match is already over, there is no way this information can be used against a player.......except reports. I'm not sure how to bypass this...maybe let the players see the rankings in the game summary after they close the game window (i.e. via their dota profiles).

                Like you said, it is up to Valve whether they do this or not. If it were to be done correctly, I would surely support it.
                Last edited by xpoizone; 11-18-2013, 03:25 AM.

                Comment


                • Since we are discussing ladders:
                  • Are we going to allow parties of any size to matchmake on ranked? Or only solo, duo and 5 man team like LoL?
                  • Are the ranks going to be bound to a server? If so, what happens to a party with players from multiple regions? Diamond players in one region can be worse than gold in other region.
                  • With no region restrictions (except Korea), players can invade less populated servers to get better placement.
                  • Spectating feature allows cheating (only 2 min. delay). Are we going to disable spectating altogether for ranked or just increase the delay?

                  Comment


                  • Sup bros what did i missed???


                    I went off for 14 hours and now this thread is full of serious stuff disscusions and mods are fighting...



                    Where is our king? Where is the shit and the gifs?
                    PAS HALL OF FAME
                    Spoiler: 

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
                      Sup bros what did i missed???


                      I went off for 14 hours and now this thread is full of serious stuff disscusions and mods are fighting...

                      The mods aren't really fighting, just debating.....

                      It's about how Valve can implement a ranking/ladder system without "hurting" the community's feelings.

                      Comment


                      • We had a good laugh on the expense of LoL. Then someone started with ladders again and here we are...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by DarkLite View Post
                          [list][*]Three modes: Ranked, Unranked, and Low Priority Unranked.
                          The more the players base is fragmentend the more difficult will be for MM to put togheter a good match, especially for those that will remain in the Unranked MM.

                          We already have division for game modes, language, solo or party, team MM and lobbies, and still we do not have as much players as LoL have, although they are more then 700k, because that number doesn't takes into account the asian players base.

                          On the other hand the MM may *need* sometimes, or more than sometimes, to put togheter players of different level trying to find an overall balance between the two teams, otherwise it may not be able at all to find so many game within an acceptable wait time if the system must stick with the "only player of the same level can play togheter in Ranked mode".

                          That said, I think that even with your proposal (that is better than many other that i've read, i must say) most of the common critiques on the matter still remain valid.
                          Last edited by Snd; 11-18-2013, 05:44 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Just fix the TMM and make MMR visible only to you and everything will be fine.
                            RIP Dota 2 Artstyle & Lore - Long live shitty cosmetics!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
                              Where is our king? Where is the shit and the gifs?
                              Our king is slightly busy at the moment....

                              Comment


                              • And none of these include the near-hundreds of cosmetic armor sets, weapons, ward skins, HUD skins, loading screen skins, taunts, and couriers they randomly add here and there.
                                Best part of the post IMO.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X