Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

Linkens sphere does not block medallion of courage.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linkens sphere does not block medallion of courage.....

    Why?

  • #2
    balance issues no doubt, i mean an item that cheap and spammable shouldnt be able to break an expensive defence item

    Comment


    • #3
      exactly what davidsalter wrote. It used to be blocked, but that was making any attempt of linken sphere really useless so they changed it 4-5 years ago.

      Comment


      • #4
        thus resulting in illogical inconsistency

        Comment


        • #5
          inconsistency < Balance
          Having a 1k gold item countering linken on a 6sec basis with a thousand range is really not balanced. Same goes for urn too.
          The world is black and white. On one side there are those who are right, complain about valve, spam unhelpfully and everyone who disapprove what you are doing are obviously valveknights.

          Comment


          • #6
            This is intended.
            Orchid is 4000 gold item countered by euls, a 3000 gold item, which makes sense since usually supports need to farm it.
            Linkens on the other hand is 5000 gold items, it would make no sense, balance-wise, if it was countered by 1000 gold item with 7 seconds cooldown.

            Comment


            • #7
              before anyone states the obvious, yes a 180 item (dust) counters a 3000 shadowblade buuuut it doesn't completely nullify it like a linken courage break would, the stealthy can still either attempt to run or turn and fight with his bonus damage

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by davidsalter View Post
                before anyone states the obvious, yes a 180 item (dust) counters a 3000 shadowblade buuuut it doesn't completely nullify it like a linken courage break would, the stealthy can still either attempt to run or turn and fight with his bonus damage
                To be honest shadowblade needs a buff or two. But that's fair since 5 patches ago it was broken.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by davidsalter View Post
                  before anyone states the obvious, yes a 180 item (dust) counters a 3000 shadowblade buuuut it doesn't completely nullify it like a linken courage break would, the stealthy can still either attempt to run or turn and fight with his bonus damage
                  Dust only counters shadowblade for escaping. You usually don't dust randomly to check if there is someone nearby. If you get attacked by Dragonkinght, you are probbably already dead.

                  Medallion would really be OP for linken's. You could even counter several linken's with it.
                  Last edited by Ljud; 05-11-2014, 06:35 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by crlatswak View Post
                    thus resulting in illogical inconsistency
                    Lower Linken's price and Linken's capability, and make Medallion have more powerful active and cost >2000. Simple way to adjust balance and consistency.

                    Make urn Ground-target with aoe effect.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by crlatswak View Post
                      Lower Linken's price and Linken's capability, and make Medallion have more powerful active and cost >2000. Simple way to adjust balance and consistency.

                      Make urn Ground-target with aoe effect.
                      So you are asking a couple of major nerfs on 2 big items (both are core for a few carries/supports) just because you want them changed. You are not supporting your opinion, you dont explain why they should change but they just should for the sake of "changing". I can easily assume this is not enough.

                      ot: during early beta I believe, medalion would trigger linkens but they fixed it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mabujold View Post
                        inconsistency < Balance
                        Having a 1k gold item countering linken on a 6sec basis with a thousand range is really not balanced. Same goes for urn too.
                        Consistency should be up there by any good design standards and the rest of the changes are to follow suit. However this hasn't been the case for dota in a long time, at first it was because of Warcraft 3 engine restrictions or simply
                        the JASS-coders not being capable of coding a consistent system (or not bothering enough, a lot of the stuff in Dota is just old and the mod wasn't a big thing) but when they started deliberately making random things like "enfeeble" not being dispellable at all unlike any other similar effect, they basically said "fuck this, spend your time in Dota 2 wiki if you want to learn this". A more delicate solution would've been to give enfeeble a secondary effect that would deal damage if it was removed prematurely.

                        You could, for example, reduce cast range of MoC / Urn, or at least make a the Linken's triggerability follow a design labeling item effects with attributes. Linken's and MoC could be "Targetable Physical effects", and Linken's would only block "Targetable Magical effects". Then allow MoC to go through BKB but reduce the cast range (for balance!) as BKB would block "magical effects".

                        There are ways to not break a design consistency behind the game and still have it balanced. Doing it the other way around just clutters everything. It might be the easiest way out in the short run but in the long run it does nothing good. I mean, even if Dota was hella lot more consistent with a lot more of its mechanics, I doubt too many people would jump the ship because it's not about "bookworming" anymore and it'd make the game more enjoyable to play for most.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SabotaZ View Post
                          So you are asking a couple of major nerfs on 2 big items (both are core for a few carries/supports) just because you want them changed. You are not supporting your opinion, you dont explain why they should change but they just should for the sake of "changing". I can easily assume this is not enough.

                          ot: during early beta I believe, medalion would trigger linkens but they fixed it.
                          shup up I don't need <5000 games -5k and 95% of humanity's opinion

                          a pauperis Macaca fuscata
                          Last edited by crlatswak; 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            6.73

                            Linken's Sphere
                            - Added +10 damage to account for component bonuses
                            - No longer triggered by Medallion of Courage
                            - No longer triggered by Urn of Shadows


                            This change made Linkens a decent item from a "Why would you get that 5k gold trash that is countered by 1k gold item on a support".

                            All this discussion is meaningless. Reverting that change would make the item trash (again).
                            ModDota | My GitHub Profile | My Project's Page

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Noya View Post
                              6.73

                              Linken's Sphere
                              - Added +10 damage to account for component bonuses
                              - No longer triggered by Medallion of Courage
                              - No longer triggered by Urn of Shadows


                              This change made Linkens a decent item from a "Why would you get that 5k gold trash that is countered by 1k gold item on a support".

                              All this discussion is meaningless. Reverting that change would make the item trash (again).
                              I agree with you here.
                              If you find spelling errors, you are free to take them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X