Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

DOTA 2 Single Player Idea. Please SHARE Good IDEAS!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DOTA 2 Single Player Idea. Please SHARE Good IDEAS!!!!

    I believe that in order to keep DOTA 2 can be as popular as any game out there right now. In order to do that, it needs to have some type of single player story mode that attracts new players and keeps returning players interested. So in order to provide some fresh ideas I would like for everyone to post ANY idea they have of what they think would be an interesting single player.

    Here are some of mine.

    Two separate campaign. One Radiant and one Dire. You player different heros through out the campaign and follow them along there story and lore on how they ended up becoming a warrior for there faction. Another idea I had would be to have the lore of each hero explained throughout single player campaign mode. But that would require a different campaign for each hero. You can also include interesting boss fights. Like Tide hunter running into Kunka. Or Jugg running in to Axe.

    Please post any ideas that you may have. I believe this will help attract more players and create a stronger dota community.

  • #2
    Interesting idea but wouldn't that just be diablo with dota characters

    Comment


    • #3
      I would love to see this too, but realistically it would be too costly to do it. I would rather like to see a tutorial for each hero. The tutorial can have the heros lore involved, it would be like one of the RPG style levels from WC3. The campaign will give you some background lore and will identify a quest to the player. These maps would take around 20-30 minutes to complete. The exercises performed will ideally use your hero's role and teach the player how the hero works and what their moves do while keeping them entertained with the lore and quest.

      Simple skilled heroes like Lina would be easy enough to do this for, but some of the more situational heroes would be a challenge. The player would be rewarded with an achievement and a predetermined cosmetic item for completing these. The key thing would be that they actually learn the role and purpose of their hero.

      After completion of the map, the game would offer to place you in a bot match as the hero you just learned, or you could opt to find a mentor to teach you about the hero. This would mean a nice progression to the next steps in learning to play the hero, as opposed to "ok tutorial complete now go get owned in MM".

      Comment


      • #4
        Actually, this is a great idea, it can act as a tutorial as well.

        Scenario:

        Lina's tutorial
        Lina starts off her training.
        Gameplay: Last hitting creeps.
        Lina decides she needs to go to some temple for enhance her powers.
        Gameplay: Visits Shop, gets traveling gear, aka Boots of Speed + 1 Nulls, along her journey, she meets 2 armies fighting and she decides to help 1 side, more last hitting. She meets Twin-Headed Dragon, who happens to be a general in that army.
        Together, Twin-Headed Dragon teaches her to time her Light Star Array Stun after Ice Breath for MASSIVE DAMAGE with Macropyre. (This teaches coordination with teammates.)
        After the battle, Twin-Headed Dragon went along his way, and Lina proceeds to Temple of Fire.
        Turns out there are other visitors seeking to enhance their knowledge of Fire too.
        Lina meets Dragon Knight, and Batrider. Batrider wants to absorb the knowledge of Fire and destroy the temple once and for all to make himself the master of Fire.
        DK and Lina teams up to stop Batrider. Batrider is probably level 20 in terms of strength while Lina and DK are Levels 11.

        Gameplay: DK and Lina dual lanes against Batrider. On both sides are 2 towers and 2 fountains, Lina and DK have to protect their tower and destroy Bat's.
        He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

        My Speedtest Result

        Comment


        • #5
          Although that seems lovely, that is not DotA. So we shoudn't go to far in our imagination.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Petrucci View Post
            Although that seems lovely, that is not DotA. So we shoudn't go to far in our imagination.
            Actually it is.

            Its a tutorial stylised as a RTS-RPG.

            And besides, this is true to Valve's vision of Dota 2, which I remember somewhere that GabeN mentioned would include the different possible minigames and custom maps available for the WC3 map editor.
            He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

            My Speedtest Result

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
              Actually, this is a great idea, it can act as a tutorial as well.

              Scenario:

              Lina's tutorial
              Lina starts off her training.
              Gameplay: Last hitting creeps.
              Lina decides she needs to go to some temple for enhance her powers.
              Gameplay: Visits Shop, gets traveling gear, aka Boots of Speed + 1 Nulls, along her journey, she meets 2 armies fighting and she decides to help 1 side, more last hitting. She meets Twin-Headed Dragon, who happens to be a general in that army.
              Together, Twin-Headed Dragon teaches her to time her Light Star Array Stun after Ice Breath for MASSIVE DAMAGE with Macropyre. (This teaches coordination with teammates.)
              After the battle, Twin-Headed Dragon went along his way, and Lina proceeds to Temple of Fire.
              Turns out there are other visitors seeking to enhance their knowledge of Fire too.
              Lina meets Dragon Knight, and Batrider. Batrider wants to absorb the knowledge of Fire and destroy the temple once and for all to make himself the master of Fire.
              DK and Lina teams up to stop Batrider. Batrider is probably level 20 in terms of strength while Lina and DK are Levels 11.

              Gameplay: DK and Lina dual lanes against Batrider. On both sides are 2 towers and 2 fountains, Lina and DK have to protect their tower and destroy Bat's.
              Even though I really like this idea I think it's to much work to do a separate campaign for each hero. That would be A LOT of extra modeling and also resources on things like voice acting and all the design choices. All that work is better to spend on improving the regular DOTA 2 game instead IMO.

              Comment


              • #8
                This was already suggested as Campaign Mode http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...light=campaign

                Though yeah, this idea would be lovely, and I think it's already brewing since look at Dota 2 menu and you see Quests.
                Brainwashing people is fun.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i would love to see 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 matchmaking and modified maps for each of these

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Its possible , like the Rexxar campagne in wc3 tft. Im just waiting for the World Editor tool to make a Wc3 Hd remake on this engine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, make 100 campaings that arent fucking boring as hell or repetitive. And if u made that 100 campaings, imagine the amount of work that would take to be accomplish. Just wont happen buddy.
                      And who gives a fuck about DotA lore anyway?
                      DotA is no single player game and u already got bots and surely a kind of tutorial for new players in the future.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Maley View Post
                        Yeah, make 100 campaings that arent fucking boring as hell or repetitive. And if u made that 100 campaings, imagine the amount of work that would take to be accomplish. Just wont happen buddy.
                        And who gives a fuck about DotA lore anyway?
                        DotA is no single player game and u already got bots and surely a kind of tutorial for new players in the future.
                        Seriously? I like the idea, but I agree with you that the work expended would be too big at this point of development (maybe after the game be released?). But I disagree about the lore. I give a fuck about DotA lore, and I would love to see some kind of "per-hero" mission showing us their backgrounds.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This would be the best thing ever.

                          I would love to play a campaign with Alchemist. His story is that ogre and the goblin sharing the same roomcell and then making a potion for the ogre that cuases him to rage and breach out of the prision. I want to play that as a campaign chapter.

                          All of this can be possible, if they make a modding scene for Dota 2. Then if we get a modding scene then we can get all kinds of stuff like Co-op survival against massive waves of zombies and such.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The goal is to attract more players that have never heard of dota before. While many of you are right, these are steps that need to be taken to ensure dota's future, so it won't die out after 4 years. Also it will reduce that amount of "n00b" beginners that don't know how to play and ruin games for better players since they will have some sort of dota gameplay knowledge.\

                            Sort of like the SC2 missions that help players learn about micro and units.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Maley View Post
                              Yeah, make 100 campaings that arent fucking boring as hell or repetitive. And if u made that 100 campaings, imagine the amount of work that would take to be accomplish. Just wont happen buddy.
                              And who gives a fuck about DotA lore anyway?
                              DotA is no single player game and u already got bots and surely a kind of tutorial for new players in the future.
                              I made this to help create ideas. Why is there always some counter productive prick on these threads. If you don't care about lore why are you in the lore section.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X