Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

[Suggestion] Show patch notes in match

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match

    Suggestion
    Show Dota patch notes ingame as soon as it matters to you (Example: When you picked a hero who got patched)

    Introduction:
    As we all know Dota gets patched quite frequently. I dont mean the patches every week, like bug fixes and hats, but the patches which get implemented into Dota 1 as well. For Example the most recent patch due to v6.78: http://www.playdota.com/changelogs/6.78
    These patches contain many changes to heroes, items and gameplay in order to balance the game and will carry on even after Dota 2 got released.
    I would guess many players don't notice these patches since they don't follow the games developement and even if someone reads the changelog it can be difficult to remember all important changes. There may be some irrelevant changes like "Damage rescaled" but some changes are pretty important like "Spell XY reworked" or "Added Aghanim's Scepter to Spell XY".
    Because of the huge amount of changes and their obvious impact on the game, players should get informed or at least reminded of them ingame. (Examples below)
    This whole Patch Indicator could be only available for a certain period of time after the patch (e.g. 1-2 month) and players should be able to turn this feature on and off.

    Example 1: Hero
    When I pick Ancient Apparition I would see a popup with "Added Aghanim's Scepter: Increasing Ice Blast duration from 8/9/10 to 17"
    Example 2: Item
    When I acquire a Gem of True Sight: *Popup* "Gem can no longer be destroyed"
    Example 3: Gameplay
    When I random a hero: *Popup* "Swapping a hero that you randomed now costs you 100 gold"

    Options for implimentation:
    - Selecting a hero (= grey, not picking) shows a list of changes affecting this hero. (edit: changelog should be available via mouse hover, picture below)
    - After picking a hero a popup inform about changes affecting his spells. (picture below)
    - After purchasing an item a popup inform about changes affecting this item.
    - There could also be a simple button which opens a list of changes affecting relevant spells/items of the picked hero.

    Advanced ideas:
    - After picking a hero a popup inform about changes affecting suggested items (Example: Pick Storm = [Popup] "Bloodstone: Can be activated to instantly kill yourself")
    - Generall changes or good-to-know-changes could be displayed on the loading screen. (Example: "Quelling Blade: Can now target Observer or Sentry wards dealing 100 damage")
    - More Information: Post #4, Post #11, Post #13

    Criticism
    - The community pointed out that the loading screen might not be the right place for patch notes and could lead to a longer picking phase.
    - Furthermore popups could be overwhelming and time consuming. A simple window might suffice.


    Pictures (only visualization of what I mean):



    Old Version: http://i.imgur.com/AkUa7p0.jpg

    Last edited by Eggsplorer; 07-16-2013, 03:33 AM.
    [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match
    [Suggestion] Player of the Match

  • #2
    +1

    Comment


    • #3
      that's actually quite smart.
      but what if a person misses out on say 20 patches.
      how would you display the patchnotes in that case?
      Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

      Contributions i'd like to highlight:
      My Suggestion: Coaching System
      My Sticky: Intended Changes List
      My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

      Comment


      • #4
        That's a good point.
        If someone has a lot of catching up to do he should propably read some changelogs first.
        The client would show the latest patch notes only but would indicate that the player missed many patches.
        Let's assume someone is interested in catching up but don't know how to do it:
        In the long term it is not ideal to forward players to playdota.com/changelogs since some new players might not know about the original site.
        I would like to see a changelog on dota2.com with map changes only (v6.78 etc.) where people can keep track of changed content without using different sites.
        Furthermore it would come in handy if one could select a certain hero and see all changes made to him only.

        Since Dota 2 got released it will attract players who might never heard of Dota 1 before. I imgaine them playing without knowing about playdota.com or these dev forum. If a new map gets released they might notice their dota client updating but wont know about relevant changes.
        Changing this fact is quite important since new players have in my opinion a high priority.
        [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match
        [Suggestion] Player of the Match

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by blash365 View Post
          that's actually quite smart.
          but what if a person misses out on say 20 patches.
          how would you display the patchnotes in that case?
          I think that person can do the research on his own.

          Comment


          • #7
            No.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Ruscris2 View Post
              No.
              Do you refer to the OP?
              If yes, may I know why not?
              Last edited by Eggsplorer; 07-14-2013, 05:54 AM.
              [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match
              [Suggestion] Player of the Match

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Direclaw View Post
                I think that person can do the research on his own.
                ofc he can.
                the question is how should the system deal with it.
                eggsplorer already answered it by stating to display only the latest patch and to notify the user that he missed alot of additional changes.

                another question.
                how about a hero who has all 4 of his spells changed in various ways (not completely reworked). that would mean 4 very hefty popups that nobody can ever read.
                how to deal with that amount of data?
                Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

                Contributions i'd like to highlight:
                My Suggestion: Coaching System
                My Sticky: Intended Changes List
                My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

                Comment


                • #10
                  hm maybe display a check box like

                  [x]patch 6.78 changes
                  [ ]patch 6.77 changes
                  [ ]patch 6.76 changes

                  so ppl can choose from that (if anything)
                  If you find spelling errors, you are free to take them.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by blash365 View Post
                    another question.
                    how about a hero who has all 4 of his spells changed in various ways (not completely reworked). that would mean 4 very hefty popups that nobody can ever read.
                    how to deal with that amount of data?
                    Come to think of it the popups might not be needed since they could be irritating and overwhelming indeed.
                    The patch notes should be displayed in the hero picker maybe even with an additional warning in case of huge changes for a certain hero (e.g. 4 spells changed/reworked).
                    In addition these patch notes should be available ingame when the hero is already picked. Not in form of popups but a simple window which can be opened/closed.
                    This should be even easier to implement and would be a bigger gain in relation to the work.

                    Originally posted by Jan2011 View Post
                    hm maybe display a check box like
                    [x]patch 6.78 changes
                    [ ]patch 6.77 changes
                    [ ]patch 6.76 changes
                    so ppl can choose from that (if anything)
                    With this option valve would need to make a sum of the patch notes without duplicates if you know what I mean. I think that would be too much work and not really needed.
                    In my opinion everyone who missed more than a patch should do the research on his own but Valve should make it as easy as possible (suggestion in Post #4)
                    [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match
                    [Suggestion] Player of the Match

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by blash365 View Post
                      the question is how should the system deal with it.
                      I think that its not necessary.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Eggsplorer View Post
                        Come to think of it the popups might not be needed since they could be irritating and overwhelming indeed.
                        The patch notes should be displayed in the hero picker maybe even with an additional warning in case of huge changes for a certain hero (e.g. 4 spells changed/reworked).
                        In addition these patch notes should be available ingame when the hero is already picked. Not in form of popups but a simple window which can be opened/closed.
                        This should be even easier to implement and would be a bigger gain in relation to the work.
                        that sounds smart. it actually serves even more purpose than the original suggestion of showing all the details.
                        for some people the details arent that important and they might not even read the changelogs. they still need to be able to play their hero. so giving them a small notification that the hero they are about to choose was significantly changed/reworked/rebalanced would make them aware of what they are buying in to.

                        i dont think the heropicker is suitable to show all information on a hero though. i really like the popup idea, but as already pointed out it can be quite overwhelming.
                        maybe it would be beneficial to only show the popup when a skill gets skilled (ignoring the fact that it's basically one step too late).
                        or show the tooltip when the player is about to invest a point into it with the mouse cursor.
                        Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

                        Contributions i'd like to highlight:
                        My Suggestion: Coaching System
                        My Sticky: Intended Changes List
                        My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by blash365 View Post
                          that sounds smart. it actually serves even more purpose than the original suggestion of showing all the details.
                          for some people the details arent that important and they might not even read the changelogs. they still need to be able to play their hero. so giving them a small notification that the hero they are about to choose was significantly changed/reworked/rebalanced would make them aware of what they are buying in to.
                          i dont think the heropicker is suitable to show all information on a hero though. i really like the popup idea, but as already pointed out it can be quite overwhelming.
                          maybe it would be beneficial to only show the popup when a skill gets skilled (ignoring the fact that it's basically one step too late).
                          or show the tooltip when the player is about to invest a point into it with the mouse cursor.
                          Yes, the notification that there has been a patch is most important and should come before you pick a hero.
                          And I also agree that the hero picker is the wrong place for all details.
                          But in case someone is going to pick a hero and gets informed that there has been a patch he might want to know the changes before he picks.
                          So there should be at least an option to take a look at the hero related changelog and my suggestion would be a simple mouse hover on the hero card like we know it from the hero spells and roles.
                          As I mentioned before ingame it could be a simple window which can be opened or closed.

                          [Suggestion] Show patch notes in match
                          [Suggestion] Player of the Match

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Just no, this is even worse than adding mana bars on display for both allies and enemies, just how hard can you casualize a game?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X