Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

Problem with DOTA2 spanish announcer.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem with DOTA2 spanish announcer.

    Hello.
    I made this discussion in the Steam forums of the game, but it turns out that (surprise) most people there are really really angry kids, so in the end the discussion became and flame wars and got deleted.

    Anyway, thing is, there is currently a line said by the spanish annunciator that does not matches the english one, so the line becomes offensive for people with religious beliefs.

    As you know already, the english annunciator says "a player is godlike" and "beyond godlike", which is completely OK.
    The spanish annunciator, however, says something different, he says "A player is God" and "A player is greater than God". (And no, he doesn't mean it in a "greater than a god" way, the way he says it, he is saying greater than The God)

    So what is this? Simply a petition, to see if the devs can edit the line so that it actually matches the english one (godlike and beyond godlike).

    This is just a common courtesy issue, I'm not demanding anything to be done, it is a petition (Guys at steam forum went over to say I was a religious idiot for demanding things with religion, which I never did)
    I'm really not the only person bothered with this line, I've spoken to several friends, most of them from different beliefs (some of them even without a belief) and they all agreed that the way the line is said comes as offensive to a person who may have these beliefs.

    I know that saying this is pretty much an invitation for the trolls to do it anyway: But don't bother comming here to post "oh you're a religious idiot, they should also delete Zeus from the game, the guy goes around claiming he is a god! oh ad remove doom bringer as well because he is teh devil!!! oh and the shiba item remove it as well its so offensive!".
    I won't reply to any of those post, so really, don't bother, this is simply a petition to see if this line can be edited to match what the original annunciator says, if nothing can be done about it, then its fine. I'm not shoving my beliefs into anyone's throat, I'm not asking to change the line to a choir of angels or something like that, simply asking for a correction to a mistranslated line.

    If you don't think that this is a big issue, then please, just look away, and don't come here to troll or something.
    And yes atheist folk, "your god isn't real!!!! why should it offend you if he doesnt exist?!" I know, I know, you may spare yourself the trouble of typing that as well, because I wont reply to it.

    For the last time: this is a petition and not a demand, if I can get a reply from a dev (be it negative or positive), that'll be grand.

  • #2
    Where do i sign?

    Comment


    • #3
      The devs have tremendously little to do with this. You need to contact your STS (Steam Translation Services) crew and punch through to them. The reception will probably be the same. The community made all the translations for the game, so that's where you go.

      I suppose this could just be a case of poor word choice. There are some languages where two words with similar meanings have immense contextual differences, this looks like a case of that. If it looks like I think it does, somebody just did their job poortly over at the STS and it was glanced over.
      Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

      THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

      Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 1337_n00b View Post
        The devs have tremendously little to do with this. You need to contact your STS (Steam Translation Services) crew and punch through to them. The reception will probably be the same. The community made all the translations for the game, so that's where you go.

        I suppose this could just be a case of poor word choice. There are some languages where two words with similar meanings have immense contextual differences, this looks like a case of that. If it looks like I think it does, somebody just did their job poortly over at the STS and it was glanced over.
        Where do I contact this "STS"?

        And it's actually the opposite...spanish is a very specific language, its not very ambiguous, unlike many other latin languages.
        The way it's said, they're specifying they are talking about THE God,

        Comment


        • #5
          Well even worse then, they've managed to make this kind of mistake in a language that isn't even that difficult in that matter.

          Start here and look for your branch of the Dota 2 translators. Granted, you'll likely have to sign up too. I don't see how you couldn't just Google that. And yeah, it's Servers and not Services, my bad.
          Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

          THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

          Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 1337_n00b View Post
            Well even worse then, they've managed to make this kind of mistake in a language that isn't even that difficult in that matter.

            Start here and look for your branch of the Dota 2 translators. Granted, you'll likely have to sign up too. I don't see how you couldn't just Google that. And yeah, it's Servers and not Services, my bad.
            It seems STS only handles text translations, not audio dubs, which is the issue here.

            Comment


            • #7
              They must have been the ones to translate the subtitles, which lead into the dub, I don't see any other way it could have worked.

              I also have never heard of a Spanish dub at all. Can't be entirely sure it's even official. The only official dubs I know of are Korean and an unfinished Chinese one. Could you provide a link to it?
              Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

              THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

              Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 1337_n00b View Post
                They must have been the ones to translate the subtitles, which lead into the dub, I don't see any other way it could have worked.

                I also have never heard of a Spanish dub at all. Can't be entirely sure it's even official. The only official dubs I know of are Korean and an unfinished Chinese one. Could you provide a link to it?
                Are you really sure it's not an official dub?...I don't remember characters, but the announcer was speaking in spanish.
                I no longer have the game in spanish, so I can't really provide a link.

                Comment

                Working...
                X