Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

Anti-Mage's personality in general is far too plain.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anti-Mage's personality in general is far too plain.

    I don't know if it's just me, but I was kind of hoping that the individual heroes would get a little more characterization, Anti-Mage most of all. His dialogue is just so blase, what with him spouting words like "thine" or "thou". To me, Anti-Mage strikes me as a bit of a cocky, easy-going, and playful character. He's the fastest hero in the game in terms of overall mobility and has the fastest attack animation as well. Can't any of that be conveyed in the way that he speaks?

    For example, perhaps make him sound a bit more laid back. He's so quick and mobile that he doesn't really need to be in a hurry, since it doesn't really matter when he does something since he can do it in an instant, so in response to commands like moving he could say lines like:
    "Whatever you say."
    or
    "Yeah, yeah, I'm on it."
    I don't know, something like that.

    Maybe while battling other heroes he can taunt or mock them. Give him some dialogue when he uses his teleport skill, too. Something like:
    "Think fast!" or
    "Try and keep up." perhaps even in battle or being pursued:
    "You won't catch me!"

    I understand that there's over 100 heroes in Dota and that it would be impossible to give them all colorful personalities, but c'mon, Anti-Mage has it all right there. I wonder if they're going to keep the whole thing with Anti-Mage and Terrorblade being brothers. It'd be pretty epic to see that kind of dialogue would come from that fight.

  • #2
    Anti-Mage talks like that due to his background:

    Originally posted by Anti-Mage lore
    The monks of Turstarkuri watched the rugged valleys below their mountain monastery as wave after wave of invaders swept through the lower kingdoms. Ascetic and pragmatic, in their remote monastic eyrie they remained aloof from mundane strife, wrapped in meditation that knew no gods or elements of magic. Then came the Legion of the Dead God, crusaders with a sinister mandate to replace all local worship with their Unliving Lord's poisonous nihilosophy. From a landscape that had known nothing but blood and battle for a thousand years, they tore the souls and bones of countless fallen legions and pitched them against Turstarkuri. The monastery stood scarcely a fortnight against the assault, and the few monks who bothered to surface from their meditations believed the invaders were but demonic visions sent to distract them from meditation. They died where they sat on their silken cushions. Only one youth survived--a pilgrim who had come as an acolyte, seeking wisdom, but had yet to be admitted to the monastery. He watched in horror as the monks to whom he had served tea and nettles were first slaughtered, then raised to join the ranks of the Dead God's priesthood. With nothing but a few of Turstarkuri's prized dogmatic scrolls, he crept away to the comparative safety of other lands, swearing to obliterate not only the Dead God's magic users--but to put an end to magic altogether.
    Anti-Mage and Terror Blade are still brothers though. Anti-Mage has the following voice lines concerning Terror Blade:

    The bonds of brotherhood, severed.
    The disgrace of magic stricken from our family.
    My brother's keeper after all.
    Terror Blade.
    Hello, brother.
    Hello, brother.
    What blood ties, magic tears asunder.
    Vile fratricide.
    What would mother say?
    Mother always liked you best.
    -- Source (scroll down to 'Referring to Soul Keeper').
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.



    Lore moderator.

    Comment


    • #3
      I see. I couldn't see the whole lore watchamajiggy while playing Dota 2 since it wouldn't show anything past "crusaders with a sinister mandate".

      Comment


      • #4
        AM has the Demon Hunter soundset in Dota 1 which makes him sound more serious and samurai-like. That's why his personality is very similar in Dota 2. I personally love everything about the Dota 2 AM, even the way he speaks. I think some cocky fast guy is more generic than a really young guy who speaks like he's 200 years old.

        Comment


        • #5
          antimage having covered eyes was way cooler, now he looks really bland cyberpunk inspired

          Comment


          • #6
            Anti-Mage's lines are some of the best in the game IMO.

            Love his personality. He feels young, confident, and extremely cocky. He has some of my most favorite lines in the game.

            "Magic thyself out of THAT"

            "Bark on bitch, I hear thee not"

            "Consider thyself purified!"

            Really, just feels so good after seeing so many emo teenage heroes out of Japan to see this young confident guy jumping around kicking everyone's asses.

            Please, change nothing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lumpfish202 View Post
              Please, fear nothing.
              Fix'd.

              Comment


              • #8
                I absolutely, absolutely love anti-mage's soundset. Completely agree with #6. The things he says make me smile, especially "magic thyself out of that!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well it is hard to match Illidan in terms of coolness.
                  specs for bugreports:
                  i5-4200U
                  AMD Radeon HD 8750M
                  win 7

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I agree with the OP,
                    he sounds bad.

                    I don't mind the "thou" and "thyself" , and I agree that one line is pretty cool.

                    But the tone of his voice is so annoying and pious.
                    I always pictured him closer to his Dota 1 personality.

                    A dark hero who's seen horrors. Someone who's mission isn't complete and who is troubled by that fact.
                    Something more like Batman (The Dark Knight) , or some kind of samurai who has a duty to fulfill.
                    That would fit his lore . He's on a quest to avenge his fallen monks.

                    But he sounds like a narrow-minded self-righteous priest. He says all magic must be destroyed (but uses it to teleport around) and murders innocent Crystal Maidens.
                    What could have been on those scrolls he read, that would make him such a prick?
                    Aren't monks supposed to be more humble?

                    It's annoying as hell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by babymooncake View Post
                      I don't know if it's just me, but I was kind of hoping that the individual heroes would get a little more characterization, Anti-Mage most of all. His dialogue is just so blase, what with him spouting words like "thine" or "thou". To me, Anti-Mage strikes me as a bit of a cocky, easy-going, and playful character. He's the fastest hero in the game in terms of overall mobility and has the fastest attack animation as well. Can't any of that be conveyed in the way that he speaks?

                      For example, perhaps make him sound a bit more laid back. He's so quick and mobile that he doesn't really need to be in a hurry, since it doesn't really matter when he does something since he can do it in an instant, so in response to commands like moving he could say lines like:
                      "Whatever you say."
                      or
                      "Yeah, yeah, I'm on it."
                      I don't know, something like that.

                      Maybe while battling other heroes he can taunt or mock them. Give him some dialogue when he uses his teleport skill, too. Something like:
                      "Think fast!" or
                      "Try and keep up." perhaps even in battle or being pursued:
                      "You won't catch me!"

                      I understand that there's over 100 heroes in Dota and that it would be impossible to give them all colorful personalities, but c'mon, Anti-Mage has it all right there. I wonder if they're going to keep the whole thing with Anti-Mage and Terrorblade being brothers. It'd be pretty epic to see that kind of dialogue would come from that fight.
                      Originally posted by droopy View Post
                      I agree with the OP,
                      he sounds bad.

                      I don't mind the "thou" and "thyself" , and I agree that one line is pretty cool.

                      But the tone of his voice is so annoying and pious.
                      I always pictured him closer to his Dota 1 personality.

                      A dark hero who's seen horrors. Someone who's mission isn't complete and who is troubled by that fact.
                      Something more like Batman (The Dark Knight) , or some kind of samurai who has a duty to fulfill.
                      That would fit his lore . He's on a quest to avenge his fallen monks.

                      But he sounds like a narrow-minded self-righteous priest. He says all magic must be destroyed (but uses it to teleport around) and murders innocent Crystal Maidens.
                      What could have been on those scrolls he read, that would make him such a prick?
                      Aren't monks supposed to be more humble?

                      It's annoying as hell.
                      Both of you. Out. NOW!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I want the Dota 1 heroes.

                        Antimage aka. Demonhunter:

                        My blade thirsts
                        Anu'dor anu'dor. Dorune'ka
                        We must act
                        Command me
                        "Run for your life!"


                        In general, Dota 2 heroes are too SPECIFIC. Their image seems to be forced onto them by Valve.

                        Valve is making Dota 2 a carebear game.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Canonical Form View Post
                          I want the Dota 1 heroes.

                          Antimage aka. Demonhunter:

                          My blade thirsts
                          Anu'dor anu'dor. Dorune'ka
                          We must act
                          Command me
                          "Run for your life!"


                          In general, Dota 2 heroes are too SPECIFIC. Their image seems to be forced onto them by Valve.

                          Valve is making Dota 2 a carebear game.
                          Wat, seriously all my wat.

                          "Bark on bitch, I here thee not."
                          "My bindings tighten."
                          Crystal Maiden... are you really, I wonder?
                          "You're a dirty bitch Omniknight."

                          I have no idea what sick and twisted logic you could use to think Dota 2, a blood gore, and minor sexual innuendo game is a carebear game.
                          Not to mention you can't compare those 5 lines to this, they're not even related to Anti-mage's Dota 1 lore at all.
                          "are too SPECIFIC." and that just doesn't make sense.

                          Anti-Mage is a great character and his lines develop his personality extraordinarily well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            He just needs more rival lines. Otherwise he's fine.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The only problem that i have with AM is that Sam A. Mowry is the worst voice actor of Valve right now.Otherwise he is fine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X