Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

  • No flaming or derogatory remarks, directly or through insinuation.
  • No discussion, sharing or referencing illegal software such as hacks, keygen, cracks and pirated software.
  • No offensive contents, including but not limited to, racism, gore or pornography.
  • No excessive spam/meme, i.e. copious one liners in a short period of time, typing with all caps or posting meme responses (text/image).
  • No trolling, including but not limited to, flame incitation, user provocation or false information distribution.
  • No link spamming or signature advertisements for content not specific to Dota 2.
  • No Dota 2 key requests, sell, trade etc.
  • You may not create multiple accounts for any purpose, including ban evasion, unless expressly permitted by a moderator.

  • Please search before posting. One thread per issue. Do not create another thread if there is an existing one already.
  • Before posting anything, make sure you check out all sticky threads (e.g., this). Do not create new threads about closed ones.
  • It is extremely important that you post in correct forum section.

  • Balance discussion only in Misc.
  • All art related (such as hero model) feedbacks go to Art Feedback Forum.
  • All matchmaking feedback should go here: Matchmaking Feedback
  • All report/low priority issues should go here: Commend/Report/Ban Feedback
  • No specific workshop item feedback. These should go to workshop page of that item.
  • When posting in non-bugs section (such as this), use [Bugs], [Discussion] or [Suggestion] prefix in your thread name.



In case you object some action by a moderator, please contact him directly through PM and explain your concerns politely. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, contact an administrator. Do not drag these issues in public.



All rules are meant to augment common sense, please use them when not conflicted with aforementioned policies.
See more
See less

[Suggestion] Show changes to your mana pool when you are about to cast a spell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Suggestion] Show changes to your mana pool when you are about to cast a spell

    I thought it would be an nice addition to see the changes to your mana pool when you are about to cast a targeted spell. Imagine you are playing pudge, click hook and are aiming the ability to cast; imagine being able to see, before casting the ability, whether you would be able to cast dismember as well. As far as graphics are concerned, if there was not enough mana to cast dismember it could be darkened blue similar to a hero being depleted of mana the moment before you actually cast hook. Additionally, the mana that will be depleted from your mana bar could be highlighted a slightly lighter color of blue, and maybe your remaining mana could be indicated somewhere on the HUD, probably to the left of center on your mana bar.

    This has similar uses on heroes that get blink dagger to stomp or call. If you have ever blinked into an enemy team with axe and realised you didn't have enough mana to call, you understand my plight.

    I believe this would allow players to make quicker play decisions without needing to double check their mana bases before they enter a fight.

  • #2
    alternatively, imagine being able to do simple math in your head

    i know video games in general are getting easier/ "accessible" as time goes on but why do some people want games to literally play themselves for them? isn't there a certain satisfaction to knowing when you are able to do something and when you aren't by using your head to reach conclusions instead of the game painting a [no] or [go] sign for you every time you're about to make a decision?

    Comment


    • #3
      My argument against this is simply the time it takes you to figure the numbers and make the decision. Yes, doing math makes the game harder, but it could delay you a few crucial seconds of double checking mana costs and current mana that could cost you properly engaging at the right time. DotA, more then any other game I have played, is a game of seconds. I feel like my suggestion could help you make those spilt second decisions faster.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vladhood View Post
        alternatively, imagine being able to do simple math in your head

        i know video games in general are getting easier/ "accessible" as time goes on but why do some people want games to literally play themselves for them? isn't there a certain satisfaction to knowing when you are able to do something and when you aren't by using your head to reach conclusions instead of the game painting a [no] or [go] sign for you every time you're about to make a decision?
        what this guy said^
        OT: Just no

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ThePineappleKid View Post
          My argument against this is simply the time it takes you to figure the numbers and make the decision. Yes, doing math makes the game harder, but it could delay you a few crucial seconds of double checking mana costs and current mana that could cost you properly engaging at the right time. DotA, more then any other game I have played, is a game of seconds. I feel like my suggestion could help you make those spilt second decisions faster.
          Knowing your hero, just by looking at your mana pool, you should be able to make simple math, has too cost of 2 or 3 skills, if you can cast or not.

          Comment


          • #6
            -1
            >Click< here to make a clicking sound.

            Overall average (K+A)/D and K/D tracker, and a MMR solution?

            Comment


            • #7
              Is the main argument against this idea the small gains in return?

              I personally wouldn't mind seeing those visual cues.
              Reducing the required time to make a decision to initiate a fight or not would increase the overall level of play, making games more enjoyable as a whole.

              Easier? A bit. Isn't that a good thing though? DotA has such a high learning curve, making the smaller things easier like this could be a good way to expand the player base.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by raina0h View Post
                Knowing your hero, just by looking at your mana pool, you should be able to make simple math, has too cost of 2 or 3 skills, if you can cast or not.
                I feel as if you missed what I said in my post, so I will try and restate it clearly. I never argued that if you have the knowledge concerning the manacost of every ability in the game you would not be able to calculate, based of your current mana, if you could cast all your spells. I'm sure most of us could. What I argued is that this takes time. Now, in certain circumstances you have the ability to double check your mana and do some quick addition, but sometimes you don't. This is where my suggestion comes in.

                Not to mention, there are over 400 different abilities in the game. I am fairly certain that neither you nor I could list the mana cost of each one without error. New players, however, constantly fumble up and realize that they have run out of mana faster then they expected, so it would surely benefit them. Would you really consider memorizing mana costs to be part of the of the skillset required to play DotA?

                Comment

                Working...
                X