View Poll Results: Should the AoE of a spell be shown on-screen when you're about to cast it?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

47 32.87%
  • No.

73 51.05%
  • I don't care.

23 16.08%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I just realized this after 13 months of play...

Exclamation I just realized this after 13 months of play...

I've played DotA for 7+yrs, and only in DotA 2 is the "AoE of a spell [casting ranged] revealed" when you hover over the skill with your mouse for 1 second. ...My concern is this: why isn't that AoE shown in action when you're about to cast Purification/Fiends Grip/Storm Bold/Etc...

I really think DotA lacks consistency in this area; either ALWAYS reveal the AoE casting range when about to cast a spell, or don't do it at all, because at its' current state it makes no sense, and it won't be friendly to the massive wave of newcomers in the next 6 months.

Conclusion: when about to cast ANY SPELL, show the AoE-range of that spell. ...IMO it's bad game design to throw something in (like revealing AoE range when looking at a spell) but not following though by actually showing of the AoE when casting the spell. And NO, I've never played HON or LOL.

Some may argue this is a skill (6th sense) gained in DotA, but I disagree, it's just bad game design.

p.s. In my own poll I accidentally voted for: "I don't care," fuck me right? ...lol!
    Last edited by Acid Snow; 01-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Basic Member
    boy im glad all these qualified and educated game designers have come to the forums to help dota 2 grow

I thought storm bolt does show aoe? what aoe does fiends grip have? Personally I rather not have puri show aoe so more people will use it to actually heal instead of just saving it for allowing it to damage enemies

Basic Member
    I can see your point with it and it is a potentially good idea, but I have to say no as I personally believe it adds to skill level to be able to judge the distances.

Banned
    dota_disable_range_finder 0

I too find it odd you can only see a visual display of your hero's skill cast range when hovering your mouse over the skills. An option to have it show while you're targeting the spell would help newbies get acustomed to the scaling ranges of some skills.

Quote Originally Posted by frankles View Post
    I thought storm bolt does show aoe? what aoe does fiends grip have? Personally I rather not have puri show aoe so more people will use it to actually heal instead of just saving it for allowing it to damage enemies
    He means the green circle that shows the skill's range. No idea why he decided to call it an AoE casting range since that's an entirely different topic.

Basic Member
    umm... no. -1

remove all casting range hint +1

Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    I too find it odd you can only see a visual display of your hero's skill cast range when hovering your mouse over the skills. An option to have it show while you're targeting the spell would help newbies get acustomed to the scaling ranges of some skills.

He means the green circle that shows the skill's range. No idea why he decided to call it an AoE casting range since that's an entirely different topic.
    OH! -1 then. For practice then yeah sure

makes it basically impossible to NOT hit you spell at max range at all times. same thing with pudge hook and mirana arrow. also they should make it so you cant use the "dota_disable_range_finder 0" command in MM. it just makes it cheap.

Basic Member
    Becoming proficient at casting spells is part of the fun. Constant handholding and failsafe mechanics make for bland games, populated by people who revel in mediocrity.