Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: i5 system outperforms i7 system?

Basic Member

i5 system outperforms i7 system?

Hey folks.
    Me and a friend have different laptops, and he still manages to max it, while I cant.
    My setup, i7 2630QM, AMD 6850M 1GB GDDR5, 6GB DDR3
    His system, i5 2450M, 6750M 1GB GDDR5, 6GB DDR.
    Both play in 1600x900.
    He hes a lower tier GPU, yet he is still able to use high videosettings with out fpsissues/stutters etc.

Is the CPU that makes the difference, should I maybe only dedicate 2 cores to Dota2?
    Thanks for the help

Basic Member
    something wrong with ur pc, using the same CPU as u do, and have everything on max with no real problem... update drivers and anything else, besides of that, dota cant run on 4 cores, it aint a 64 bits program but u wont really need much CPU usage for it anyway

Software running? Software installed? HD speed? MB Quality? O/C? Drivers updated? Etc.

There's lots of things that could cause the difference.
    Please read Common Discussions, Common Suggestions, Common Technical Issues, Common Bugs, and do a website search prior to making any new thread.
    Use the report () button to report flaming, illegal discussions, offensive content, excessive spam, trolling, advertising, or duplicate threads

Basic Member
    Both systems are fairly new, no OC.
    Both have 7,2k rpm HDDs.
    Im usually only running skype, browser, and some music while gaming, shouldnt affect the video settings?

I THINK (not sure) it was better 2 patches ago.
    All drivers are up to date (what I know, system is at top 1,5 months old)

Mendes, do you also have a laptop or is it a desktop?
    Thank you for the answers

Quote Originally Posted by timQ View Post
    Both systems are fairly new, no OC.
    Both have 7,2k rpm HDDs.
    Im usually only running skype, browser, and some music while gaming, shouldnt affect the video settings?

I THINK (not sure) it was better 2 patches ago.
    All drivers are up to date (what I know, system is at top 1,5 months old)

Mendes, do you also have a laptop or is it a desktop?
    Thank you for the answers
    The i7-2630QM is a laptop CPU.
    I really don't know what might cause your stuttering, but you just have to try out. I mean, either it's your drivers (If you updated them, make a rollback to default drivers to see if anything changes, or if you didn't update them).
    Scan your system for viruses.
    When your game stutters, take a look at CPU/GPU usage.
    And because you have a laptop I strongly suggest you to use a coolpad (for gaming).
    Does your game stutter every 2 minutes for like 20 seconds? That might be because your laptop gets too hot and your CPU throttles itself down too cool itself a little bit (I had the same problem, but I locked the multiplier now and no more throttling ).
    And there is a program called WinUtilities, it's free and good. You might wanna clean your windows registry for errors with it.
    (Scanning for viruses and cleaning registry is easier than reinstalling windows, though I'm afraid scanning for viruses on a large drive might take more time than reinstalling windows :P)
    I hope you find the reason
    Last edited by 7_ShininGAngel; 03-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Basic Member
    What resolution are you guys playing on? That could be the main reason why.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7_ShininGAngel View Post
    The i7-2630QM is a laptop CPU.
    I really don't know what might cause your stuttering, but you just have to try out. I mean, either it's your drivers (If you updated them, make a rollback to default drivers to see if anything changes, or if you didn't update them).
    Scan your system for viruses.
    When your game stutters, take a look at CPU/GPU usage.
    And because you have a laptop I strongly suggest you to use a coolpad (for gaming).
    Does your game stutter every 2 minutes for like 20 seconds? That might be because your laptop gets too hot and your CPU throttles itself down too cool itself a little bit (I had the same problem, but I locked the multiplier now and no more throttling ).
    And there is a program called WinUtilities, it's free and good. You might wanna clean your windows registry for errors with it.
    (Scanning for viruses and cleaning registry is easier than reinstalling windows, though I'm afraid scanning for viruses on a large drive might take more time than reinstalling windows :P)
    I hope you find the reason
    Not a virus/malware issue, not a heat/throttle issue, not a network issue, it just seems as the GPU/CPU performance isnt where it should...
    And its like...not running fluently with everything maxxed out.
    Ill do an FPS check when I get home for more info. Thansk for the answers.

And to the other guy, I stated it was 1600x900, both off us.

Basic Member
    Alright, I checked it now. When I maxxed it, at 1920x1080, everything at high/on, I got a measly average of about 25 fps...sometimes lower. Any thoughts? :/

try another more graphical intensive game(if you have the means to do so) and see if you get lower fps than expected.You might also have a OS problem,higher privileged processes might overtake your cpu frequently.Also is your HDD full?That might cause issues with memory intensive programs.
    Last edited by Martin Andrei; 03-30-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Basic Member
    HDD is not full, 640gb, and 500 gb free. I dont play anything else besiedes Dota, so no can do there. My friend got around 50-60 fps with his rig :/ Maybe gonna erinstall the system. Any other tips / tricks?
    Regards

Edit: Getting stable 60fps at lowest settings (vsync on), so its fully playable, but not possible to max it, with a better rig then my friend, bleh, this crap is driving me crazy
    Last edited by timQ; 03-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.