Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Bugs

Sound Bugs

Use this thread to post cases where you can hear a sound effect for an enemy hero in fog of war. Include match ID when possible!

I don't know what's supposed to be heard through fog of war. Nothing other than global sounds?(Like Dismember/Stampede) Or do we go for its WC3 behaviour?

Basic Member
    i can definitely hear AM's blink without vision of him(in the fog). spot some AMs during the diretide event.

Basic Member
    i have heard qop blink several times through fog (prior to the nov 28th patch).
    gonna add a matchid later.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Eric37073 View Post
    i can definitely hear AM's blink without vision of him(in the fog). spot some AMs during the diretide event.
    Okay, I don't know if testing this on a Cheat Lobby is a valid test, but here is what I've found.

AM's Blink makes you hear the last spell he has casted beyond the fog.
    If there is no other last spell then the Blink, then you'll hear the Blink effect.
    You can test it like this:

1. Create an enemy Anti-Mage
    2. Create an allied any-unit
    3. Put the allied any-unit somewhere that the any-unit has the vision of a non-magic-immune neutral camp
    4. Order Anti-Mage to cast Mana Void to unit of that neutral camp from so far, that it will take him like 10 seconds to go there and cast it
    5. Pull your allied any-unit afar from the neutral camp, so that you won't have the vision of that camp during the action
    6. You'll hear no Mana Void sound effect
    7. Cast Blink with the Anti-Mage, who is still in the fog of war
    8. You'll hear the Mana Void sound effect
    9. Cast another Blink and you'll hear the Blink sound effect

Here is a video for the steps I've wrote above:

I know that no Magina will probably cast a Mana Void outside the enemy vision, but still, it shows that Blink does not simply let you hear its own sound but there is more depth in it.

Basic Member
    ^impressive

Thanks man, thanks to you

Same thing does not apply to Queen of Pain's Blink. Queen of Pain's Blink can be heard through the fog, and other spells are not.
    But other spells are bugged also, because you don't hear the spell effects, even when they hit you. Although it was cast beyond the fog, you should be able to hear the spell effects if;
    Shadow Strike poison hits you,
    the Scream of Pain hits you
    and the Sonic Wave waves are seen

The Scream of Pain has apparently 2 seperate sound effects for it on W3 DotA. One that you can hear when you cast it on an isolated area, and one that is heard only when it hits/damages a target. Only the one that you hear when you are hit is being heard on W3 DotA.
    Don't know if Shadow Strike has seperate sound effects, but you can hear them all even if cast beyond the fog.

There is no initial Sonic Wave sound effect.
    Each wave has its own seperate sound effect on W3 DotA.
    If you cast an enemy sonic wave at the ends of your allied vision, towards the fog, you hear no Sonic Wave sound.
    And Sonic Wave waves (each wave) should let enemies hear them as long as they come into their vision.

You can test these on the ledge of bottom tier 2 tower. Put a Dragon Knight below the ledge and cast spells with QoP from the top.
    You can do this also on 6.75b Test Map, too, but you'll have to shift-queue orders because you cannot give orders beyond the fog. Or, of course, multi-player tests...
    I'll try to record a video for the W3 DotA version. Dota 2 version is easy to do.

Edit:
    There, a video for the ones who don't like reading:

Edit #2:
    Aaand a Dota 2 video:

I also want to report that, as you can see/hear (or not?) it on the Dota 2 video, too; the initial attacks beyond the fog do not provide an audible feedback to the victim being hit.
    Only after the first hit, you can hear the sound effect for the secondary hits, because the attacker is revealed.
    And this is not the case on W3 DotA, therefore a bug, too; which makes more sense anyway.

Actually, just now I had an idea that might easily get offended by many of you...
    I think, logically, each hero should have a secondary hearing range, which should be like a flying vision, unobstructed. Makes a lot more sense... Why wouldn't you hear a unit, just because he/she's on the highground?
    But then again, this is not the case on W3 DotA, so we shouldn't be discussing it here, yet. (Maybe after the release)
    Last edited by ThoAppelsin; 11-29-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Basic Member
    couldnt find the replay in which the qop blink sound is audible, but i am certain and so are ppl i played with.

ursa's overpower is also hearable through fog, but that might be intended.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

You can hear Undying casting his First Skill in the fog too.
    I don't know how to make a video but it's the same as anti-mage;
    You can hear Cristal Maiden skill, Crystal Nova in the fog;
    Obsidian Destroyer Ultimate can be heard on the fog.
    But ultimates like Tidehunter can't be heard, you get stunned and take the damage but no sounds.

I think there are lots of skills that can be heard on fog, but dunno how many of them are intended. Someone help?

Edit: I'll test all the heroes skills on fog to see what and who can be heard on the fog. Since it seems there isn't a list.

Heroes I tested so far and have some sound issues:
    Bloodseeker: His Ultimate can be heard on the fog;
    Batrider: No sound, but you can see trees being cut while he's
    using Firefly;
    Alchemist: No spell can be heard on the fog. But his ultimate
    has a bug where you can hear it constantly if he enter the fog.
    Last edited by YaldabaoTh; 11-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shalafi View Post
    I don't know what's supposed to be heard through fog of war. Nothing other than global sounds?(Like Dismember/Stampede) Or do we go for its WC3 behaviour?
    Assume wc3 behaviour for now.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.