Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Account Sharing - Don't do it!

Valve Developer

Account Sharing - Don't do it!

We've added a lot of new testers recently and I'd like to remind everyone that you shouldn't share your Steam account.

You never know what someone is going to do once they have access - make sure to protect yourself and NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE!

Basic Member
    I have just had my DotA 2 beta taken away from me for what im assuming is because of account sharing. Is there any way possible I could get it back I had no idea I could not let my Uncle test it out from his house. We have been sharing it back and forth, but I thought it was fine since we couldn't both play at once. I will completely stop doing this, I really did not know this was against the rules. Thanks.

My account is: Deathclaw24
    Last edited by HelpMe; 11-29-2011 at 04:34 PM.

man the guys name is help me you cant ignore that.

on a more serious note what guidelines are there towards this... if your enforcing machine specific tracking then it should not be a issue to prevent it from being used on another pc though something like windows guid.

lets go on some theory here, if i wanted to play from my second home within the same province/state would this flag the account as being "shared".

basically if you are using ip tracking that would be horrid since some people do not have a static ip "i would assume this is not being used as the primary". if its windows "guid" then that would suffice as a form of tracking a pc but once again what if i were to buy a new laptop/cpu and say this day rolls around for the ip to roll or i decide to take this "new laptop" to another location. if the account is being shared across 2 locations that would obviously be impossible to travelling over in a timely manner and that's whats being used here then by all means that's as good as it gets. maybe a limitation to amount of different logins per account as well within a reasonable amount "3".
    Last edited by Solace; 11-29-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Why would you want to "ban" people just because they are sharing their account ?
    We already have a way to report bad users... so ?

Basic Member
    Sharing a steam account is against the steam EULA. Think of it this way if all of your games were on a different account you could lend out all of your games to your friends and not have the downside, this would mean less people need to buy the games and at the end of the day that means less money into steam. Can't say there's much wrong with protecting your profits, and when the DRM is so light anyway it's not unreasonable at all.

Valve Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
    Sharing a steam account is against the steam EULA. Think of it this way if all of your games were on a different account you could lend out all of your games to your friends and not have the downside, this would mean less people need to buy the games and at the end of the day that means less money into steam. Can't say there's much wrong with protecting your profits, and when the DRM is so light anyway it's not unreasonable at all.
    Among all the other issues the biggest problem for me is that people who share accounts tend to be the people who leave games the most. Maybe people aren't as careful with their actions when it isn't their reputation on the line.

How do you determine account sharing? I use the same steam account on my desktop and laptop and have Dota 2 installed on both. I'll spectate a game every now and then on the laptop. I'm always using the same router and internet connection so only the local ip would be different, but I don't know if what I'm doing would send any red flags up at Valve. Is it not a good idea?

I too have a laptop and a desktop. Will be getting a new laptop soon too. Hope they won't classify this as account sharing.

Basic Member
    I got invited by a random guy on a forum and i am the only one of my friends with a key so i guess why some people would want to share with their friends, i have not done this yet and now i guess i won't.

once again is this a automated system implemented or a manual system of revoking the any shared accounts.