Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: to anyone who belives he was muted for no reason

Basic Member

Post to anyone who belives he was muted for no reason

after seeing these complaints a thousend times i should write this to clearify things a bit.

first of all, as valve officially stated trolls who gang-report you DO NOT WORK. even if all of the 9 players reported you, you won't be muted. each report is being check manually, and only after your first punishment the system has a program involved.

furthermore, these trolls would most likly report you for feeding, which is punished by LPQ and not mute.

this means one important thing: if you are punished, there is always a good reason for it

so how is it possible that you got muted even if you did nothing wrong in the last game?

simple: the report system is delayed

it can take the system a day, or even serveral days to process reports. after i report toxic players, i usually recieve the "thank you for your report" messege at least 24 hours later.
    do you really think the system instantly punishes players? of course not.

what happens is, that you most likly got punished for abusive behavior done in older game you most likly do not remember.

so being nice in just one game is not enough. you must ALWAYS be nice and positive.
    me and the friends i play with never insult other players and never try to make them feel bad and we never got muted. easy.

and as valve said only about 1% of the player base is muted. so please stop complaining about the mute system. there are far worse problems needs our focus

Banned
    That's like, your opinion, man. Thanks for sharing.

Oh and the system isn't delayed to my knowledge. When I got muted, it was obvious who reported me and I was muted the very next game. Sometimes I deserved reports, sometimes I doubt I did, but I still got them anyways and I still got punished anyways. And trust me, trolls would report you for comm ban. I only do comm bans because it's the worst punishment someone could get and it seems to have a lower punishment threshold than ability abuse/feeding.

Also, 1% of player base currently muted with a 60% rehabilitation rate (this means the system is working, right?) means that over 15% of all active accounts have been mute banned at some point.

And for my snarky comment, thanks for being the 1001th post on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Jew View Post
    each report is being check manually
    Huehuehue. Where in the blog post did they say this?

furthermore, these trolls would most likly report you for feeding, which is punished by LPQ and not mute.
    Says who? You? Are trolls, who seek to annoy others, going to try to get you in LPQ, which was so ineffective as a "punishment" that Valve chose to re-implement an automated mute system; or are they going to try to get you muted?

this means one important thing: if you are punished, there is always a good reason for it
    Where in the blog post did Valve say the false positive rate was 0%?

what happens is, that you most likly got punished for abusive behavior done in older game you most likly do not remember.
    Even though I disagree with your guess that there is report "processing" involved, I do agree with this, but I have a different conclusion: it shows just how ignorant Valve is of basic (i.e. introductory) psychology. If they want to modify players' behaviors, then having delayed punishments with NO feedback is the most fail way to do it.

and as valve said only about 1% of the player base is muted. so please stop complaining about the mute system. there are far worse problems needs our focus
    Well, gee, 2 reports per player per week => very few players muted? <sarcasm> WOW, I never would have guessed. </sarcasm>
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

The mute system is here to stay and to be improved with time, it will not be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojahid View Post
    The mute system is here to stay and to be improved with time, it will not be removed.
    Are you a Valve employee?
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

Basic Member
    i am afraid you are mixing up things (which is understandable).
    the report system got changed/reworked/adapted/improved/scaled many times. the manual validation step might not be the current state anymore as it was stated about a year ago.

i share your general notion though. in dota close to everybody deserves a penalty for bad manners if you look at the right games. almost every dota player has a huge tendency to be rude, mean, aggressive, arrogant, etc. that simply comes with the game.
    what buffles me is that just currently 1% (or let's assume the 15% alltime are correct) are affected with a mute penalty. i would find something close to 50% alltime or even more much more realistic.
    so how come so few people are being muted? it appears that valve is taking the safe road and only mutes heavy, repeated and clear offenders.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    what buffles me is that just currently 1% (or let's assume the 15% alltime are correct) are affected with a mute penalty. i would find something close to 50% alltime or even more much more realistic.
    Why does the <1% CURRENT statistic baffle you? To me, it's not surprising that if you give players very few (as in 2) reports per week, very few players will be muted.

I too would find 50% EVER muted to be reasonable, but Valve did not report any statistics for "ever" muted.

so how come so few people are being muted? it appears that valve is taking the safe road and only mutes heavy, repeated and clear offenders.
    I think they did take the safe road...by only giving players 2 reports per week when we used to have 4 and then a bugged unlimited number before that. I am very certain that the % CURRENT muted statistic was higher during the 4 a week system than it is now and was higher still when the report numbers were bugged.

merci fenix

Basic Member
    its sad that even when facts are thrown in your face you still repeat your same mantra.

no the mute system IS NOT AUTOMATED. valve themselves say that reports are checked manually and only then the punishment is delivered?

only 2 reports per week is very little? what bad excuse. if every single player base used up these succesully then at least 50% of the players would be banned.

valve obviously reduced the number based off the huge amount of flase reports they were getting,

as for blash365. you see 50% of players being muted because everyone go here to whine about their 'unjustified' punishments, i only met one person who was muted out of the 200 games i was playing

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Jew View Post
    its sad that even when facts are thrown in your face you still repeat your same mantra.
    Mmmkay.

no the mute system IS NOT AUTOMATED. valve themselves say that reports are checked manually and only then the punishment is delivered?
    Point out exactly where in the blog post it says that.

http://blog.dota2.com/2013/05/communication-reports/

only 2 reports per week is very little? what bad excuse. if every single player base used up these succesully then at least 50% of the players would be banned.
    This makes several assumptions.

1. It takes 4 reports (in a short window) to mute a player.
    2. Half the player base gets reported four times in a short window.
    3. The other half of the player base is never reported.
    4. No reports are ever made for "intentional ability abuse" / "intentional feeding."

You think that's a realistic scenario?

valve obviously reduced the number based off the huge amount of flase reports they were getting,
    Thank you.

as for blash365. you see 50% of players being muted because everyone go here to whine about their 'unjustified' punishments, i only met one person who was muted out of the 200 games i was playing
    You have to learn how to not contradict yourself. You think it's not likely that most of the mutes were unjustified, hence your putting quotation marks around the word. Yet, you admit that the reason why we only have 2 reports per week now is because there used to be too many false positives.

What's a false positive? It's a...wait for it...UNJUSTIFIED MUTE.

merci fenix

Banned
    JJ you really need to get up to date with the current info. Also, your post serves no basic purpose other than to troll people for responses. Your not making this forum any better, you came here with a complaint that basically amounts to "stop complaining" when there's any number of other active threads you could have posted in. I suggest people just let this thread die.