Thread: Game Exiting After trying to Connect to Dota 2 Network

Basic Member

Game Exiting After trying to Connect to Dota 2 Network

Good day everyone,

I have been playing Dota 2 for some time now. Yesterday, when I launched Dota 2 as usual, it started up, but upon loading up the console and trying to connect to the Dota 2 Network, the program would just crash and exit without a warning. Upon checking, I found memory dump files being created (.mdmp files). Naturally, I proceeded to google for it, and tried out the various steps listed in Steam Support, including rebooting, verifying game integrity, and re-installing the game. All to no avail.

I thought that there must be some strange interaction going on with my computer and Dota 2. However, when I tried to launch Dota 2 on another computer, it also did the same thing! I use the same Steam login on both computers, but they have different specs and OS (one is Windows 7, the other Windows 8). I noticed each time that it would crash after trying to connect to the Dota 2 Network. Here's the link to one of the mdmp files:
    *removed, since problem solved*
    - on my 2nd computer (Windows 8 Enterprise Edition 64-bits, 8 Gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 5450))

MDMP file from my 1st computer (Windows 7 64-bits Professional Edition, 8Gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 5700 series (already updated drivers)).
    *removed, since problem solved*
    Both computer had never had any problems launching Dota 2 in the past.

I have checked with my friends and no one else has this problem. It's pretty frustrating. I can only conclude it has something to do with my Steam ID. I have tried steam://flushconfig, it didn't work either. I did try downloading Dota 2 Test, it worked fine and connected to the Dota 2 Test network.

Devs, I hope that you can assist me ASAP. Since it's happening on both computers, it looks like a program update issue on the Dota 2 app. Thanks for your swift response.

To the community, if you can read the mdmp file and point out what went wrong - I'll be much obliged!

cheers,
    LT
    Last edited by LiveTree; 12-14-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Removed links

Basic Member
    Anyone able to decipher the .mdmp files yet?

Those files are 30MB each, why are you uploading them as that and not zip them to 3MB?!
    And the one you used -safe launch option is useless, as it generates a different debug output than normal one so it makes both uncomparable.

The reported error is a generic one about client.dll that only a dev can properly decipher.

It might be one of your loading screens that's causing this since both dumps report different sets:
    Solution: since devs are not so smart and customer-oriented to program an UNEQUIP-ALL function from steam library (like the verify cache one), your only option is to test with another account (or do crazy stuff like temporary put up for sale/trade with friends known items that cause issues like loading screens).

Helpful launch options:
    Code:
    -dev +dota_embers 0 +mat_vsync 0 +snd_mix_async 1 +snd_pitchquality 0 +dsp_slow_cpu 1 +cl_singleplayernetworkbackdoor 1 +sv_lan 1 +sv_cheats 0 +con_enable 1 +developer 0
    Also, don't use stuff like Raptr or any other game booster shit, dota is one stubborn game that don't like any of them.
    You could provide more info with list_my_programs.bat script from my guide.

Basic Member
    Hey Aveyo,

Thanks for the input. A 30Mb file isn't that big in this day of broadband, but ok, I will upload new zipped mdmp files later. As for comparing both files with different launch parameters, I was trying out the various launch options to see if any worked (it didn't). I did mention that both computers have totally different specifications and OS+ graphics card, so trying to compare both of them would be tough anyway, except to look for the for a common root cause for both crashes.

I have already deciphered that the program is crashing because of a access violation caused by client.dll. Just can't get past the assembly part, hence the need for a dev.

Loading screens is very likely not the issue here. I have not even reached the part where Dota 2 loads up any loading screens yet, and they are all generic ones. The program crashes after it connects successfully to the Dota 2 network. It's very likely some esoteric bug that was related to the latest patch.

I've already tried turning off Raptr on the one computer which has that, plus other background programs which may be remotely related on the other. No difference. All crashed with client.dll issues.

Anyway, thanks for the additional launch options provided - I'll test them out as well.

Basic Member
    Ok, just updated Dota 2 (latest update), and tried it out. Unfortunately, still the same failure :-( Tried uninstalling antivirus, but same problem. Tried all the additional launch options, no difference.

Here's the latest zipped mdmp file *removed, since problem solved*
    Update:
    In addition, I created a new Steam account on the same computer and launched Dota 2. Guess what, it ran without problems! Hmm.. I still need to get it working for my account though ..
    Last edited by LiveTree; 12-14-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Removed links

Basic Member
    Ok, managed to solve the problem! Thanks to Aveyo for the clue on the loading screen. The biggest hint that something was wrong only with the primary account was after I managed to log in successfully with my secondary account. It made me think that there might be a problematic item in my inventory. I checked my Steam trades and noted two key purchases on the Steam market, including a Harlequin's Mantle that has 5 kinetic gems in it. Sold that off at a loss quickly, but after that presto! I could log in successfully.

Anyway, whoever bought that item would probably encounter the same problem as I had earlier! Sell it off quickly, or if you can still access your inventory, extract the gems and get rid of it! I will inform Steam on this matter (has a support ticket), hopefully they will inform Valve immediately of this bug!