Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look Back

Now, I will still stand by how PA as she was back then is infinite times better than the one we have now. She fit her lore, and she just worked. Blargh.

Gyrocopter... the new one grew on me. Solely because the machine is actually kinda badass and the previous one had sandals AGAIN. Seriously, get Valve a new fashion adviser.

And really, the more of this I see the clearer it becomes to me that Dota changed quite a lot during the development process. The old screens and, as we can see here, the old concept art were much grittier and just... weird. In a good way. What we have now is more reminiscent of Warcraft 3 or an animated cartoon - the previous art style was really reminiscent of HoN or, dare I say, Diablo 3. I can see how the game just didn't feel right with the progressively weirder style and eventually it became what it is now.

By the way, seriously do Tinker, him and Storm Spirit show the difference between the art styles best. I'm not suggesting Storm because the old Storm was freaking scary and I don't want to see it again. Yes, consider me obsessed with the old "walking oven with a smoking pipe" Tinker because most things are better with the new sci-fi one.

P.S. Haven't seen those Bloodseeker pictures before. Where do they come from?

P.P.S. It's Anub'arak for the original NA. Nothing to do with the current President.
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 08-04-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keowee View Post
    Dat Gyro chopper Seriously though, how does the current one even fly?

Either way, Clockwerk's old moustache was epic, here's to hoping they'll bring it back whenever they decide to give him cosmetics!
    http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/dot...oncept_art.jpg

Thanks a lot for starting this thread.I also thought we needed a place to combine all the alpha models/concept art.Helps following the evolution of the game.Here are some of my contributions!

Alpha (?) Queen of Pain Concept:

Alpha Sniper Concept:

Alpha Enigma Concept:

Alpha Lich Concept:

Alpha Skywrath Mage Concept:

Alpha Batrider Concept:

Let it flow,guys!

PS-I'l edit as I find more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Karnivool's new album is DOPE!

Alright, I haven't seen this Sniper. Looks pretty funny with those two cannons, I can see why that concept, including the wizard hat and BYOB (Blow Your Own Brain) gun ones, didn't make it into the game. Just way too outlandish for me. I like where it landed, if you don't count the fact that HE HAS SANDALS NOW AGAIN

The rest just show the difference and prove my point again; that, and have a good lot of Star Wars influence, especially in QoP and Batrider - the latter is hilarious, by the way. I also like it how they decided to make QoP darker; the lighter tones would never fit her.

Enigma also shows some progression - he was way more daemonic before. That would fit with his original spell names, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    Alright, I haven't seen this Sniper. Looks pretty funny with those two cannons, I can see why that concept, including the wizard hat and BYOB (Blow Your Own Brain) gun ones, didn't make it into the game. Just way too outlandish for me. I like where it landed, if you don't count the fact that HE HAS SANDALS NOW AGAIN

The rest just show the difference and prove my point again; that, and have a good lot of Star Wars influence, especially in QoP and Batrider - the latter is hilarious, by the way. I also like it how they decided to make QoP darker; the lighter tones would never fit her.

Enigma also shows some progression - he was way more daemonic before. That would fit with his original spell names, anyway.
    for the sake of discussion,

I really liked the older versions of some heroes like QOP,Lich,Enigma,YES! And one more rendition of sniper.I'l post the screenshot.I just loved that owl-faced little tall chump,the version of sniper who made it into game is definitely more suitable with context to lore and stuff,but the concept art = MINDBLOWING!

here's the sniper concept I loved,but Valve implemented a dwarven little chimp.

Okay,I found a lot more.Attached these below! Have fun guys!

Alpha(?) Razor Concept:

Alpha(?) Lifestealer Concept:

AND,the rendition of owl-face Sniper that I loved: (guy on the left)

x

Ah, yes, this is the Sniper page I've seen before. The owl-faced one I like less than the goggles under a blanket one; mainly because he appears to be the progenitor of THE FREAKING SANDALS. Seemingly Sniper used to be some desert nomad long back in the day; guess the race that ended up becoming the Keen Folk had quite a few interpretations over the time of development. Eventually they went back to dwarves; even though originally the beard just wasn't there. Can't have Dota with no beard.

And yes, those are Razor and Lifestealer; this Razor even made it to a very early version of the game client and had an icon, Lifestealer less so. But it's him.

I loved the Razor concept.Looks really intimidating and damn.They did add a lot of sheen,made it a little cartoony (not LOL cartoony) but yeah.Well.

That Alpha Lifestealer looks disturbingly (or should I say unsurprisingly?) like L4D2's Jockey:

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    Get better at dota.
    A matchmaking system that emulates five-player parties based on teamplay-oriented recommendations---> http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=97602

What strikes me while looking at the concept are two things:
    1. Now heroes are more... 'modern'. I mean - look at the alpha gyro with pedals and current gyro with real heli; sniper with real modernised rifle and sniper with an old-looking one, etc.
    2. Alpha heroes were more grittier. Look at that alpha razor - he scares the shit out of me. And that alien-like lich is scary as well. The enigma? Hell, nightmares. Alchemist - nothing close to the current happy goblin we have. Current heroes are more colourful and not as scary.
    Heroes in concepts seem to me uglier (in the good meaning) - they have more animalistic (eg batrider) look, which I really like. Keep 'em concepts coming, it really is a pleasure!

Well, that seems to be the main thing about old concepts - everything used to be much grittier. Basic steampunk, weird proportions, duller colors. The proportions carried over to some early heroes and models as well - the shopkeeper belongs to the olden era much more than to this one. Right now things are, indeed, more cartoony - in a way the game took the route TF2 once took. But Valve didn't go genitals deep and managed to find a middleground - so far we still have our weird proportions in some places, some deformities, but it's not gritty fantasy, it's slightly exaggerated comic book fantasy. What used to be medieval steampunk is now more scientific. Perhaps it's for the better - the older concepts remind me of HoN in a way, that game is much darker, color-wise at least. Let's keep it at that and never bring HoN up again though.

And the old Razor is some Mouth of Sauron spook.

P.S. Woah, it turns out I have a folder full of Dota 2 concept art. It's worse quality-wise, but still, lemme dig up some of the good ones...
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 08-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.