Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look Back

bring it on ,man.
    Karnivool's new album is DOPE!

Alright, so judging by the image name, this - - used to be Bane a loooooong time ago. I have a hard time believing it, too.

Oh and here's an older Lycan. And I can see why he was changed - shouldn't have pushed the pointless daemonic angle on him. I'll never understand why he had Kil'Jaeden's model in WC3 DotA.

The rest are so horrid I just had to find them all over again, so once I've found everything I'll go and steal the spotlight.
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 08-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

I've never played HoN so I can't really say whether the concepts are close to it or not. I like alpha Bane, though :P

I would actually get a nerdgasm and even pay for it, just to see these concept arts released with better quality from Valve. You know, like concept artbooks that come with Collectr's Editions of games.

Basic Member Justinian of Hattes's Avatar
    TINKER INCOMIN YALL!

It's interesting how, despite design variations in between, Tinker ended up looking almost just like his WC3 counterpart, what with the giant backpack appendages and rotating bits...

Well JEEZ, this design could be a completely different hero in its own right. I am somewhat glad they went with the slimmer design, as it fits Tinker's playstyle of rapidly jumping about the map. Still, very cool.

A slimmer rendition of the above, this looks better, but again, way far off from what we'd finally get. Note the continuing existence of the pipe, and significantly less modern looking cannon than the previous incarnation.

and now we are getting into more familiar territory, though it seems awfully similar to some of Sniper's concept work. I should think that Valve originally wanted Keenfolk to Sand People, but ultimately, this Tinker is the closest to what we finally got, particularly the design on the far right.

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

Quote Originally Posted by BGDaemon View Post
    I would actually get a nerdgasm and even pay for it, just to see these concept arts released with better quality from Valve. You know, like concept artbooks that come with Collectr's Editions of games.
    Same here. It's always interesting to see how the hero designs changes throughout the development process.

Some more goodies:

Slark

OD

Witch Doctor

Tinker (Ninja'ed by Justinian)

Magnus

Necrolyte

Another Lycan

Creeps or Necro units? More like the latter

Bristleback

Okay, here's where I point out that this is all Mark Behm's work, and Mark Behm is (was) just one artist. Perhaps he had more of an influence than some others, but still, maybe there was more to the older concepts.

And just take a look at Tinker's evolution; he is probably one of the more indicative designs that changed. I, of course, am more in favor of the walking oven concept, colors aside. It was so gritty, and yet it was some right proper steampunk; the older style in a nutshell. The new one is practically sci-fi - even the wooden shoulderpads look like plastic or metal due to the latest texture change.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    Okay, here's where I point out that this is all Mark Behm's work, and Mark Behm is (was) just one artist. Perhaps he had more of an influence than some others, but still, maybe there was more to the older concepts.

And just take a look at Tinker's evolution; he is probably one of the more indicative designs that changed. I, of course, am more in favor of the walking oven concept, colors aside. It was so gritty, and yet it was some right proper steampunk; the older style in a nutshell. The new one is practically sci-fi - even the wooden shoulderpads look like plastic or metal due to the latest texture change.
    I think it was a small sacrifice to make heroes look less "noisy" in-game. Plus, imo it is harder to keep an integral style with fantasy and steampunk; fantasy+a bit of sci-fi (that is, just lasers and rockets) works better.

There is also a pic showing some VERY early hero portraits (have a look and stop whining about current Slardar #jk). They looked like someones from the game "From Dust".
    Last edited by Keowee; 08-04-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Ah, yes, I was looking forward to those. These evidently come from a difficult era in Dota 2's design; where everything had to be just weird. Those concepts evoke a feeling of LoL to me, if I'm allowed to say so - strange, crazy colors, weird, sort of out of place details...

Interesting to see that Juggernaut, Zeus, Tide, Sven and Axe hardly changed at all since then. They look a bit out of place even now.

And that Storm Spirit gets me every time.

In my nightmares.

P.S. What's more interesting is that a lot of the neutral creeps seem to have kept their design from this very era - they look extremely derpy, mismatched and wrong. It sort of fits as of me - perhaps, this is what the Ancients' direct influence does to you if you don't become a creep.
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 08-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Blah, as much as I'm fan of the concept arts, that Nevermore IS BAD! The Nevermore we have now is purely awesome (not only visually, but voice-wise as well). He's very close to WC3 Nevermore but still unique while scary and with that air of confidence about him - maybe it's the way he walks, I don't know.

PS: Lina is basically the same now as well. You just have to pay $$$ for the alpha look, which is kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BGDaemon View Post
    What strikes me while looking at the concept are two things:
    1. Now heroes are more... 'modern'. I mean - look at the alpha gyro with pedals and current gyro with real heli; sniper with real modernised rifle and sniper with an old-looking one, etc.
    2. Alpha heroes were more grittier. Look at that alpha razor - he scares the shit out of me. And that alien-like lich is scary as well. The enigma? Hell, nightmares. Alchemist - nothing close to the current happy goblin we have. Current heroes are more colourful and not as scary.
    Heroes in concepts seem to me uglier (in the good meaning) - they have more animalistic (eg batrider) look, which I really like. Keep 'em concepts coming, it really is a pleasure!
    Looking for more!

Btw yeah,the older concepts were way more grittier.I mean I can re-imagine a 'no-bar mode' where the whole map and heroes and animations/particles etc are totally dark and avant-garde.I mean I can understand why Valve made it like that,but if something like that comes out ,I'l even pay 100$ to get it.

EDIT- Clockwerk Alpha Portrait : (corrected,thanks Hef)

Brewmaster Concept Art:
    Last edited by essentialblend; 08-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Karnivool's new album is DOPE!