Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look Back

Okay guys,this one might be a little off-topic,but

Remember ,the polycount contest winning set Rider of the Storm?

The concept for the Legendary mount (just incase 'curiosity')

Have fun! Will add more as I find.

EDIT- This Venomancer alpha portrait looks scary as hell.I love it

Last edited by essentialblend; 08-04-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Karnivool's new album is DOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by essentialblend View Post
    Btw yeah,the older concepts were way more grittier.I mean I can re-imagine a 'no-bar mode' where the whole map and heroes and animations/particles etc are totally dark and avant-garde.I mean I can understand why Valve made it like that,but if something like that comes out ,I'l even pay 100$ to get it.
    Actually, unlike the hero designs, the original Dota 2 map design was somewhat lighter, with the Dire side being predominantly desert-like in design rather than its current cooled magma design:

Quote Originally Posted by essentialblend View Post
    EDIT- Tinker Alpha Portrait:
    That's Clockwerk.

Speaking of which, here have some more alpha portraits:

Plenty of portraits we still have today, but also a few considerably different ones. Clockwerk, Storm Spirit, and what I presume are Vengeful Spirit and Lion have considerably different models in their portraits, which is slightly curious since they were around during the first International, while Warlock (apparently fully designed and unaltered since) was released 2 months and 13 heroes after TI1.

Also, I just would like to mention that I highly prefer the portraits shown here for Sven, Sand King and Sniper over the ones we currently have.
    To keep these forums clean and friendly, please read and follow the forum rules.
    Before making a new thread, be sure to have used search, as well as checking the stickies of the appropriate section.

Lore moderator.

Alpha Nightstalker in game(?) Looks cool:

Alpha Queen of Pain portrait(?):

Quote Originally Posted by Hefaistus View Post
    Actually, unlike the hero designs, the original Dota 2 map design was somewhat lighter, with the Dire side being predominantly desert-like in design rather than its current cooled magma design:

That's Clockwerk.

Speaking of which, here have some more alpha portraits:

Plenty of portraits we still have today, but also a few considerably different ones. Clockwerk, Storm Spirit, and what I presume are Vengeful Spirit and Lion have considerably different models in their portraits, which is slightly curious since they were around during the first International, while Warlock (apparently fully designed and unaltered since) was released 2 months and 13 heroes after TI1.

Also, I just would like to mention that I highly prefer the portraits shown here for Sven, Sand King and Sniper over the ones we currently have.
    Damn,this is epic o.O

Is there any 'legal' way to access the oldest betas ? Or is something like that possible? I'd just like to experience how it started out ,seeing its evolved quite a bit!

Thanks for those scrshots

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    Alright, so judging by the image name, this - - used to be Bane a loooooong time ago. I have a hard time believing it, too.

Oh and here's an older Lycan. And I can see why he was changed - shouldn't have pushed the pointless daemonic angle on him. I'll never understand why he had Kil'Jaeden's model in WC3 DotA.

The rest are so horrid I just had to find them all over again, so once I've found everything I'll go and steal the spotlight.
    Love these.Damn.I hate the current dota visual style more and more now

Yeah, yeah, yeah, they look neat and everything; but they wouldn't look organic in-game. These aren't even colored. They might look better to some, but I just don't see them working.

And regarding the map, yeah, it evidently was done during the derpy period of the visual development. Afraid that the gritty models never really did make it very far into the game. Also, I have no idea how you'd mistake Clockwerk for Tinker there. Seriously?
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, they look neat and everything; but they wouldn't look organic in-game. These aren't even colored. They might look better to some, but I just don't see them working.

And regarding the map, yeah, it evidently was done during the derpy period of the visual development. Also, I have no idea how you'd mistake Clockwerk for Tinker there. Seriously?
    The goggles and pink'ish face missed the rest haha

Banned
    I have no idea how you'd mistake Clockwerk for Tinker there. Seriously?

Dota 2 Wiki says it's Clockwerk.

The goggles and pink'ish face
    With Clockwerk's full equipment, too.

That all said, this is the first time I think I took notice of the ancient Lion - he's a freaking toad. Helps us appreciate the dubious visuals we had before and even more so the more polished we have now. I'm kinda glad I never was in the early alpha now. Him, and Storm.

The sandy color scheme also screams 2010-11 beta to me. The game got progressively darker and more vibrant if that makes more sense as the designs got less dark and a bit lighter. For the better, really. As of me, anyway.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Skeleton King Alpha (?) in-game portrait (The first skill and ulti comedy icons are just hilarious) :