Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [How to] Fix FPS

Basic Member
    Hi there,

I've tried to play against bot with this new autoexec.cfg and so far it has not improve anything for me. I'm still on the lowest settings possible and the game has between 10 and 20 fps depending on the action.

My computer :

MacBook Pro
    13-inch, Mid 2010
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Basic Member
    Just upgraded to a retina, and noticed a huge performance decrease in fps. I dropped some setting like aa and textures, and noticed that my fps in fact decreased further. Not sure why this is caused, but dropping the textures and rendering to low actually makes it run worse than with them set to high. My fix, was to run the game at a nice resolution it recognizes, with alot of the light and shadows turned off. This made the game playable for me around 40fps. Then there were the crashes, and the sound going out, and the sound crackling, im guessing theres a bunk audio codec/driver somewhere. I noticed when turning audio quality to low, and stereo, the audio stays constant through most games.The game will play fine for any amount of time. Then randomly(but usually at the start of a teamfight with 7+ heroes on the screen) , my audio will crackle, and my fps drops to 7. It does not come back from this until you restart the client. this isnt a heating issue, it has crashed in the first 2 minutes of the first game of the day, only to be restarted and play for a solid 2-3 hours right after with no problems.

Commentator Audio while spectating tournys is TERRRRRRRRIBLE, TI3 sucked for me, I either had to watch it at 480p on twitch, or watch it in hd with craptastic crackling audio on dotatv. and of course trying to do both ends up making you go crosseyed from the sound being out of sync.

A question I have, when you start dota 2 for mac, you actually get 2 application windows, one has a slightly blue hue to it, and the mouse pointer does not have to dota 2 textrure to it, the game is updating visually but you are unable to interface with the ui until you hit command tab 1 time to bring the other window to the front. What is the garbage?

Basic Member
    I think line 3 should be "r_deferred 0"

Some of those lines are really useless and have nothing to do with the fps or crashing but I will try the ones that seem reasonable. I'm just saying that because other people may have other controls set-up and this file will overwrite them, such as the hero size and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispix View Post
    Hi there,

I've tried to play against bot with this new autoexec.cfg and so far it has not improve anything for me. I'm still on the lowest settings possible and the game has between 10 and 20 fps depending on the action.

My computer :

MacBook Pro
    13-inch, Mid 2010
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
    Same results for me with Macbook air 2010, 4gb ram + nvidia 320M.
    Could be that the suggested changes only improves fps for intels integrated graphic chips.

Basic Member
    Prior to the latest update, I was playing with mostly Max settings (render quality was max and textures were medium) with great success, anywhere from 50-60fps on a 2008 MBP w/ 512mb 330m. After the last update that came this week, my FPS dropped to 20-30, and during team fights it was extremely choppy. I had to reduce render quality and textures again and still am only getting around 30fps.

Did the latest update ruin anyone else's FPS as well? I tried what was mentioned in this thread with no success. I had steam overlay disabled, and tried to see if it would be any different with Steam Beta and overlay disabled/enabled, and neither of the two made any difference.

I did everything as suggested but it wasn't effective, so now i'd like to go back to my previous settings, but even though I deleted the autoexec. and changed the settings in game, things doesn't look quite the same. Does anybody have an idea on how to fix it?

Basic Member
    I am running Mavericks and my Dota 2 works perfectly fine at highest graphics?

Albeit, I am on a Hackintosh, but my specs are lower than some of the posts here. Anyway, there was something weird that I noticed. When I first set up my Mac, I fully installed Dota 2 (so downloaded the entire game from steam). My FPS wasn't super low, but it wasn't playable (for me, 25 - 30 fps). I then went back to Windows since I messed up my Hackintosh. When re-installing Mac, updating to Mavericks, I didn't download Dota 2 this time. I backed up from Windows. My FPS was then back to normal, even higher than when on Windows.

Hopefully this helps My Hackintosh is an iMac from 2010.

if my fps seems fine will this be an overall improvement or will the graphics be much worse?

a videos of this would be helpful.. hopefully you can do one ^_^